Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Darren W
03-19-1998, 05:33 PM
I'm so surprised. I just traded in my 96 Audi A4 on a 1998 Z3 2.8 and I'm sorry to say that none of the BMW dealers in the Dallas area have really impressed me with their service. I thought BMW was IT, one of the top automotive brands with exclusive single-franchise dealerships. But no, same old service as I got with my very first car, a Honda.<p>I know dealers are different everywhere, but I literally visited all the BMW dealers here in Dallas (4) before buying. Ultimately I bought solely based on price simply because none of the dealers had standout service.<p>With my Audi, I got red carpet service from Park Place Motorcars in Dallas. It was like driving up to the Ritz. I pull up onto a circular driveway, they open the door for me, take my keys, give me the keys to an A6 and I'm on my way. All with a smile.<p>Come on BMW, wake up and look in you're rearview mirror! Audi is coming up fast.<p>-Darren

vic
03-19-1998, 05:54 PM
I'd have to agree. Turns out the dealer in this area acts like a company with a monopoly. And I guess they are. The next closest dealer is in about 400 miles away. But it is easy to shop over the Internet which I did. So now I just have to deal with their attitude when I take it in for service.<p><br>: I'm so surprised. I just traded in my 96 Audi A4 on a 1998 Z3 2.8 and I'm sorry to say that none of the BMW dealers in the Dallas area have really impressed me with their service. I thought BMW was IT, one of the top automotive brands with exclusive single-franchise dealerships. But no, same old service as I got with my very first car, a Honda.<p>: I know dealers are different everywhere, but I literally visited all the BMW dealers here in Dallas (4) before buying. Ultimately I bought solely based on price simply because none of the dealers had standout service.<p>: With my Audi, I got red carpet service from Park Place Motorcars in Dallas. It was like driving up to the Ritz. I pull up onto a circular driveway, they open the door for me, take my keys, give me the keys to an A6 and I'm on my way. All with a smile.<p>: Come on BMW, wake up and look in you're rearview mirror! Audi is coming up fast.<p>: -Darren<p>

Dan
03-19-1998, 06:45 PM
I just bought a 98 2.8 Z3 in Fort Worth and the first salesman plan sucked. His way of showing the car was to point at it and say there it is. I got pissed and got another salesman which wasn't great. Basically I got a good price for the car. This was at Autobahn. Salesmen in Arlington weren't much better. They were more concern with telling me they had BMW loan cars and valet service.<p>I guess the bad dealers are part my fault. I still bought the car. Now all I care about is the service department.<p>On the other hand, when I bought my wife's Audi A4 last year in Dallas they were and continue to be fantastic. This is at Park Place. By the way Autobahn in Fort Worth dropped Audi a few years ago because they weren't selling well, oops.

Keith F
03-19-1998, 07:23 PM
<i>Come on BMW, wake up and look in you're rearview mirror! Audi is coming up fast.</i><p><br>More like every manufacturer on the planet blew past years ago, leaving The Roundel twirling around in the dusty road like a dropped quarter. Come on BMW, wake up and smell the service!<p><br><b><FONT FACE="Arial"><FONT SIZE="3"><FONT COLOR="#000000">K</FONT><FONT COLOR="#151515">e</FONT><FONT COLOR="#2A2A2A">i</FONT><FONT COLOR="#3F3F3F">t</FONT><FONT COLOR="#545454">h</FONT><FONT COLOR="#696969"> </FONT><FONT COLOR="#7E7E7E">F</FONT></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE="Arial"><FONT SIZE="3"><FONT COLOR="#7F7F7F"> '</FONT><FONT COLOR="#666666">9</FONT><FONT COLOR="#4D4D4D">6</FONT><FONT COLOR="#343434"> </FONT><FONT COLOR="#1B1B1B">Z</FONT><FONT COLOR="#020202">3</FONT></FONT></FONT> <FONT FACE="Arial"><FONT SIZE="3"><FONT COLOR="#4F95FD">/</FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000"></FONT></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE="Arial"><FONT SIZE="3"><FONT COLOR="#490587">/</FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000"></FONT></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE="Arial"><FONT SIZE="3"><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">/</FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000"></FONT></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE="Arial"><FONT SIZE="3"><FONT COLOR="#BFBFBF">M</FONT><FONT COLOR="#BFBFBF">4</FONT><FONT COLOR="#BFBFBF">4</FONT></FONT></FONT> <FONT FACE="Arial"><FONT SIZE="3"><FONT COLOR="#000000">B</FONT><FONT COLOR="#0D0C08">l</FONT><FONT COLOR="#1A1810">a</FONT><FONT COLOR="#272418">c</FONT><FONT COLOR="#343020">k</FONT><FONT COLOR="#413C28"> </FONT><FONT COLOR="#4E4830">a</FONT><FONT COLOR="#5B5438">n</FONT><FONT COLOR="#686040">d</FONT><FONT COLOR="#756C48"> </FONT><FONT COLOR="#827850">B</FONT><FONT COLOR="#8F8458">e</FONT><FONT COLOR="#9C9060">i</FONT><FONT COLOR="#A99C68">g</FONT><FONT COLOR="#B6A870">e</FONT></FONT></FONT></b>

Clarence
03-19-1998, 08:02 PM
Avoid Rosario Campbell and Don Rosen BMW in Bala Cynwyd, PA. He's your usual car salesman (used to sell Toyotas). I went with Otto's BMW after several recommendations. Their prices are not great, but everyone except the closing guy (the guy who collects the money) treats you like royalty. Probably because well-to-do people happen to buy their cars from there.<p>Clarence<br>blk*3 1.9l<br>

Andrew - Sydney, Australia
03-19-1998, 08:11 PM
<i>:I thought BMW was IT, one of the top automotive brands with exclusive single-franchise dealerships. But no, same old service as I got with my very first car, a Honda.<p>: I know dealers are different everywhere, but I literally visited all the BMW dealers here in Dallas (4) before buying. Ultimately I bought solely based on price simply because none of the dealers had standout service.<br><snip><br>: Come on BMW, wake up and look in you're rearview mirror! Audi is coming up fast.<br></i><p>It's the same in Australia - my expectations of my relationship with BMW had been built up by their advertising, but it's been ripped to shreds and stomped into the dirt by reality.<p>5 phone calls, 2 faxes and 2 letters - just to get my address right!<p>unkept promises to return calls!<p>the 'standard' sagas re: rear window cover, cup holders etc. etc.<br><long rant deleted><p>I love my car, but wouldn't ever buy another BMW<p>Disgruntled,<br>Andrew<br>Red/black 1.9 - my first (and last) BMW

Kevin Jundt
03-19-1998, 08:29 PM
I would agree but there are some exceptions. I first went to Stevens Creek BMW, thrice, and couldn't even get anyone to talk to me! I gave up with them then went to Allison and, I must say, my salesman was great. The test drive he took me on scared the sh_t out of me (he's drives formula fords on weekends). I always seem to get race car drivers for salesmen!<p>I still have a great relationship with him and he always comes over to say hi when I'm in the dealership. Now if the service department were as good. The first few times I took it in were a nightmare but they have gotten better. I guess it's true that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Still, I'm disappointed that I had to be a squeaky wheel. I really expected the red carpet treatment after spending that much on a car!<br>

Andrew C
03-19-1998, 09:35 PM
We ordered our MZ3 from Foreign Motors West at Natick MA. Very helpful and personable salesman [Lee Kravitz] let us out in their Z3 2.8 with no supervision. Not had that happen since trying a Peugeot 205 GTI in the Uk many moons ago. It remains to be seen what the after sales service will be.<p>Incidentally my wife has a new Audi A4 Avant and the service with that, even here in sleepy VT, is just superb.<p>"M" arrives mid May hopefully. Silver, red and black.

Tony (UK)
03-20-1998, 03:50 AM
I too had an Audi before the BMW and the after sales service was much better at Audi than at BMW.<br>In the UK its not so much that your the customer as it is that you are lucky to have been sold one of their cars. I never received any follow up calls to ask me if I was ok with the car, I wasn't even told about the warranties or how to operate the various controls.<p>I wonder who'll be smiling the most next year us in our Z3's or the Audi TT drivers......

Alan
03-20-1998, 09:52 AM
My salesman, Ron Elms, is fantastic. If he ever doesn't know the answer to something, it is because BMW NA won't tell him and not because he hasn't tried to find out.<p>When I first put the deposit on my 1.9 in 1996 I was 25 and Nancy was 22. We looked very young as we met with him, but he was extremely helpful and courteous, taking me for a great test drive. I put down my deposit that same day.<p>He is never pushy and I would not hesitate to buy from him again. (Actually, I'm buying an M from him!)<p>The service department is also great. Joe Miller, my service rep, always takes care of my car very well and always returns the car washed. I never had a problem getting the cup holder or window blanket, and any question I bring up about some warranty item is always handled without question.<p>I believe the service department at Fred Brown routinely wins awards for customer service ratings--other dealerships could take lessons.<p><br>--Alan

keithc
03-20-1998, 03:15 PM
I canít help but weigh in here. <p>Even in the backyard of noted quality companies like Nordstrom, Eddy Bauer, REI, & Starbucks, often considered standard barers of the highest customer service oriented companies, the self-claimed ďtop BMW retailer in the countryĒ showed me some of the worst pre- and post-sales Iíve ever experienced in 14 years of buying new cars. The fault for so many inaccuracies, broken promises, missed dates, service mistakes, poor communication and more has ultimately to be born by BMWNA whoís own customer service response history is a joke in the offing. Iíve been so soured in my initial experience that even though I love the car, Iíll never do business with BMW again. My next car will be a 99 MB CLK Cabriolet. Iíve put a deposit on one and so far the experience has been very pleasant. <p>Sorry, BMW with your arrogant attitude and poor dealer network, youíll just keep loosing 1st time buyers on that long annuity train to profitability with your continued brand erosion. R.I.P. <p>96 1.9 dk blue, tan, blk, leather, 3k miles<br>

V Romano
03-20-1998, 03:31 PM
<i>: I'm so surprised. I just traded in my 96 Audi A4 on a 1998 Z3 2.8 and I'm sorry to say that none of the BMW dealers in the Dallas area have really impressed me with their service. I thought BMW was IT, one of the top automotive brands with exclusive single-franchise dealerships. But no, same old service as I got with my very first car, a Honda.<p>Yeah I must admit I agree w/ the above. <br>I've now owned two BMW's over the last few years as well as a Volvo and the service & respect I was<br>shown at my Volvo dealer far surpassed that of the "service" I've received from two different BMW dealers.<p>Great car but the cutomer service from both the manufacturer as well as the dealer network sucks.<p></i>

TheOx
03-20-1998, 05:55 PM
My vote's with Clarence. I've bought eight cars from Otto's BMW in West Chester, PA. Everybody, even the closing guy, treats you great. They're not perfect, nobody is, but they make the buying and service experience fun. If you have any questions, E-Mail me. The sales manager is Mark Roth and the service manager is Tom Dallett. Also, don't let any bad experiences with the Z3 sour you on BMW's for life. The European built BMW models I've owned have been brilliantly designed and executed and virtually problem free. Even when there is a problem, you get a brilliant fix. How about a brand new engine after 25,000 miles for a 540i, or a brand new top (tan to boot) for a 1996 Z3 after 20,000 miles. I've also participated in two test drives comparing the 3 and 5 series with their closest competitors including MB and Lexus, and if you enjoy driving, changing marques is not the answer. JMHO!<p>TheOx '98 2.8 Atlanta Blue/Tan/Tan

Bruce
03-20-1998, 10:00 PM
<i>: My salesman, Ron Elms, is fantastic. If he ever doesn't know the answer to something, it is because BMW NA won't tell him and not because he hasn't tried to find out.<p>: When I first put the deposit on my 1.9 in 1996 I was 25 and Nancy was 22. We looked very young as we met with him, but he was extremely helpful and courteous, taking me for a great test drive. I put down my deposit that same day.<p>: He is never pushy and I would not hesitate to buy from him again. (Actually, I'm buying an M from him!)<p>: The service department is also great. Joe Miller, my service rep, always takes care of my car very well and always returns the car washed. I never had a problem getting the cup holder or window blanket, and any question I bring up about some warranty item is always handled without question.<p>: I believe the service department at Fred Brown routinely wins awards for customer service ratings--other dealerships could take lessons.<p>: <br>: --Alan<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index