Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Darren W
03-20-1998, 11:56 PM
I've only had my 2.8 a week and I'm trying to decide whether I, as a rule, will lower the electric top naked and enjoy the spontaneity of going from top up to top down at a traffic light OR deal with the hassle of stopping to install that damn lint covered blanket and homemade pillow every time I want to get topless.<p>To date I have used the blanket/pillow and obviously hate it. I realize the consequences of going the naked route but the benefits may be worth the risk. I thought I might ask BMW to replace the rear window under warranty every year if it gets scratched from lowering the top in it's natural state. Anyone done this? <p>After all, the Z's rear window IS a design flaw. Why didn't they use glass as in the $20K Miata or make it fold better.<p>-Darren<p>

walter
03-21-1998, 10:04 AM
It's a roadster! The rear window is supposed to be plastic and scratched, which, I might add, mine is NOT despite a year of opening and closing the top without it. IMHO, it's overkill, sure use it if you want to be extra protective, but who can see properly thru that thing even when it's clear? There's a reason it's called a "drop-top" - it's not called a "stop the car - put on the little blanket - then drop top".<p>Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.<p><br><i>: I've only had my 2.8 a week and I'm trying to decide whether I, as a rule, will lower the electric top naked and enjoy the spontaneity of going from top up to top down at a traffic light OR deal with the hassle of stopping to install that damn lint covered blanket and homemade pillow every time I want to get topless.<p>: To date I have used the blanket/pillow and obviously hate it. I realize the consequences of going the naked route but the benefits may be worth the risk. I thought I might ask BMW to replace the rear window under warranty every year if it gets scratched from lowering the top in it's natural state. Anyone done this? <p>: After all, the Z's rear window IS a design flaw. Why didn't they use glass as in the $20K Miata or make it fold better.<p>: -Darren<p>: <p></i>

Keith F
03-21-1998, 10:08 PM
The top cover is good if you're going topless at speed for an extended period of time. I rode back from my parent's place once topless at 70-75 mph for about 3 1/2 hours. Wonderful. But, the top fabric had spent all that time rubbing against the frame and got slightly frayed in a couple of places. So my policy is that I put it on for extended periods on the highway, or if I know Lucky's gonna be in a picture. Otherwise, it stays in the trunk, or under my bed!<p><br><b><FONT FACE="Arial"><FONT SIZE="3"><FONT COLOR="#000000">K</FONT><FONT COLOR="#151515">e</FONT><FONT COLOR="#2A2A2A">i</FONT><FONT COLOR="#3F3F3F">t</FONT><FONT COLOR="#545454">h</FONT><FONT COLOR="#696969"> </FONT><FONT COLOR="#7E7E7E">F</FONT></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE="Arial"><FONT SIZE="3"><FONT COLOR="#7F7F7F"> '</FONT><FONT COLOR="#666666">9</FONT><FONT COLOR="#4D4D4D">6</FONT><FONT COLOR="#343434"> </FONT><FONT COLOR="#1B1B1B">Z</FONT><FONT COLOR="#020202">3</FONT></FONT></FONT> <FONT FACE="Arial"><FONT SIZE="3"><FONT COLOR="#4F95FD">/</FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000"></FONT></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE="Arial"><FONT SIZE="3"><FONT COLOR="#490587">/</FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000"></FONT></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE="Arial"><FONT SIZE="3"><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">/</FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000"></FONT></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE="Arial"><FONT SIZE="3"><FONT COLOR="#BFBFBF">M</FONT><FONT COLOR="#BFBFBF">4</FONT><FONT COLOR="#BFBFBF">4</FONT></FONT></FONT> <FONT FACE="Arial"><FONT SIZE="3"><FONT COLOR="#000000">B</FONT><FONT COLOR="#0D0C08">l</FONT><FONT COLOR="#1A1810">a</FONT><FONT COLOR="#272418">c</FONT><FONT COLOR="#343020">k</FONT><FONT COLOR="#413C28"> </FONT><FONT COLOR="#4E4830">a</FONT><FONT COLOR="#5B5438">n</FONT><FONT COLOR="#686040">d</FONT><FONT COLOR="#756C48"> </FONT><FONT COLOR="#827850">B</FONT><FONT COLOR="#8F8458">e</FONT><FONT COLOR="#9C9060">i</FONT><FONT COLOR="#A99C68">g</FONT><FONT COLOR="#B6A870">e</FONT></FONT></FONT></b>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index