Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Frank
03-23-1998, 10:42 AM
Hello all. Over the weekend, as per the Meguiar's<br>online Surface Care Rx, I purchased the wash and polish<br>products, wash mits, and a bunch of terry cloth towels.<br>I practiced and will continue to practice on my del Sol<br>until my Z3 arrives in May, however I am unsure as to<br>what technique to use. The wash and polish went OK,<br>but it definitely does not look very good in the bright<br>sunlight (swirls, cloudy parts, etc.). So, I suppose I<br>have a few questions and would GREATLY appreciate any<br>help!<p>Washing<br>-------<br><ul><br> <li> What motion should I was in? circular? along the curves, as suggested in other threads?<br> <li> How much pressure should I apply to clean the<br> car and remove dirt?<br> <li> Should I use one or two mits in order to always<br> be using the cleanest possible washing surface?<br></ul><br><p><br>Polishing<br>---------<br><ul><br> <li> The instructions say to apply a small amount<br> to a terry cloth towel. How much is small?<br> And how many times should I reapply the polish<br> to the towel?<br> <li> Approximately how much polish should I expect<br> to use for one car?<br> <li> As with washing, what polishing motion should<br> I use?<br> <li> How much pressure should I use to apply the<br> polish?<br> <li> The instructions say to rub the car with another<br> terry cloth towel after polishing. How much<br> time should I wait in between tasks?<br> <li> As with the application step, what motion should<br> I make and how much pressure should I apply?<br><ul><p> ANY help will be appreciated tremendously!<p>--frank

Rick DeNatale
03-23-1998, 12:45 PM
<i>: Hello all. Over the weekend, as per the Meguiar's<br>: online Surface Care Rx, I purchased the wash and polish<br>: products, wash mits, and a bunch of terry cloth towels.<br>: I practiced and will continue to practice on my del Sol<br>: until my Z3 arrives in May, however I am unsure as to<br>: what technique to use. The wash and polish went OK,<br>: but it definitely does not look very good in the bright<br>: sunlight (swirls, cloudy parts, etc.). So, I suppose I<br>: have a few questions and would GREATLY appreciate any<br>: help!<p>: Washing<br>: -------<br>: <ul><br>: <li> What motion should I was in? circular? along the curves, as suggested in other threads?<br></i><br>Avoid circular motions. Linear scratches are only visible from one direction. A circular scratch (i.e. a swirl) is visibile from any direction.<br><i><br>: <li> How much pressure should I apply to clean the<br>: car and remove dirt?<br></i><br>As little as possible.<i><br>: <li> Should I use one or two mits in order to always<br>: be using the cleanest possible washing surface?<br></i><br>I'd use one mitt, but two buckets. Put the shampoo water mix in one bucket, fill the other one with clean water.<br>Soak your mitt in the clean water bucket, then dip it into the shampoo bucket and apply to the car. Make sure that you keep the mitt quite wet.<br>When it's time to put more shampoo on the mitt, first rinse it in the clean bucket, in order to get any foreign material off of the mitt. Then go back to the shampoo bucket.<br>Some folks recommend pulling on the cuff of the mitt while in the clean water bucket to fill the inside of the mitt with water and then squeezing it out. <i><br>: </ul><p>: <br>: Polishing<br>: ---------<br>: <ul><br>: <li> The instructions say to apply a small amount<br>: to a terry cloth towel. How much is small?<br></i>I'd say about the size of a quarter<i><br>: And how many times should I reapply the polish<br>: to the towel?<br></i> when you need to. Don't over apply polish. <i><br>: <li> Approximately how much polish should I expect<br>: to use for one car?<br></i>It depends on the polish<i><br>: <li> As with washing, what polishing motion should<br>: I use?<br>: <li> How much pressure should I use to apply the<br>: polish?<br></i>Same answers as for washing. Although I'd use a bit more pressure for polishing. Use several layers of towel, and don't apply pressure to a small area.<i><br>: <li> The instructions say to rub the car with another<br>: terry cloth towel after polishing. How much<br>: time should I wait in between tasks?<br></i>This depends on the wax. Don't wait too long, certain waxes can be hell to get off if you let them set too long.<i><br>: <li> As with the application step, what motion should<br>: I make and how much pressure should I apply?<br></i>Less pressure than applying the wax, and still make straight line motions.<i><br>: <ul><p>: ANY help will be appreciated tremendously!<p>: --frank<p></i><br>You're welcome.

Greg Hudson (Melbourne Australia)
03-23-1998, 02:20 PM
G'Day Frank.<br>I've posted my cleaning tips at the following page...<p>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index