Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Brian Hennessy
03-23-1998, 05:25 PM
I just fininshed the initial part of my stereo upgrade which consisted of a four channel amp and Infinity Kappa separates up front. The second part (Kappa 4" two ways in the back) is on hold until the speakers come in off of back order.<p>My question is as follows: After some tweeking and hair pulling to get rid of alternator whine I have a very good (IMHO) sounding system, however I do notice some decrease in the stereo reception. Stations that used to get me all the way home to San Clemente from work now only make it about 2/3 the way! Has anyone else encountered this problem post upgrade?<p>By the way, this upgrade was hell in my opinion but it would have been ten time worse had there not been all the "corporate" knowledge on this board...THANKS! Brian Hennessy (Henn28@aol.com)

George
03-23-1998, 05:34 PM
<i>: I do notice some decrease in the stereo reception<br></i><p>You mean you kept the bmw head unit and now get worse reception? Seems odd to me but I'm no expert. I plan on going with Kenwood for various reasons. One salesman claimed they have one of the best tuners with respect to reception. I hope to be far from everything as often as possible :-)<p>George<br>

Debi
03-23-1998, 07:43 PM
<i>: I just fininshed the initial part of my stereo upgrade which consisted of a four channel amp and Infinity Kappa separates up front. The second part (Kappa 4" two ways in the back) is on hold until the speakers come in off of back order.<p>: My question is as follows: After some tweeking and hair pulling to get rid of alternator whine I have a very good (IMHO) sounding system, however I do notice some decrease in the stereo reception. Stations that used to get me all the way home to San Clemente from work now only make it about 2/3 the way! Has anyone else encountered this problem post upgrade?<p>: By the way, this upgrade was hell in my opinion but it would have been ten time worse had there not been all the "corporate" knowledge on this board...THANKS! Brian Hennessy (Henn28@aol.com)<p></i><p>I started off with an Alpine head, Alpine four channel V12 amp and MB Quart speakers in the front, and my husband tried to do something with the factory subwoofer but it couldn't take it and kept cutting out. He ripped out the subwoofer again and took the Alpine head and amp back. He took it to a professional shop and had installed a Rockford Fosgate head and Rockford Fosgate punch amp, along with two 4 inch Fosgate speakers behind the seats. The reception on the Fosgate head is fantastic compared to the Alpine. The whole system sounds ten times better than the Alpine. The two 4 four inch speakers behind the seats really are not necessary, the shop stated this before they even put them in, but we didn't listen. As they indicated, they help somewhat, but only when the top is down. Now this shop is working with us in building a subwoofer enclosure which will fit in the cockpit of the car--it looks like it will be one eight inch punch subwoofer.<p>Bu the way, if you live in the Spartanburg/Greenville area and need a good stereo shop--try Road Music and More. They are really willing to work with you compared to the other local shops, such as Rogers Stereo, who I might add trys to over charge and did a poor job at installing the MB Quart speakers.

EdP
03-24-1998, 02:54 AM
<i>: : My question is as follows: After some tweeking and hair pulling to get rid of alternator whine<br></i><p>Brian,<p>can you give me any tip to provide this alternator sound. Next weekend I will start to upgrade the stereo. I had a lot of alternator sound troubles with my previous car. So I fear it again.<p>EdP<br>

Robert
03-24-1998, 10:21 AM
<font color=gray>Buy the way, if you live in the Spartanburg/Greenville area and need a good stereo shop--try Road Music and More. They are really willing to work with you compared to the other local shops, such as Rogers Stereo, who I might add trys to over charge and did a poor job at installing the MB Quart speakers.</font><p>Be sure to tell "Road Music and More" that a ton of Z3 owners will be bringing their checkbooks to SC laborday weekend. If this stereo shop showed with a herd of installers and "stereo upgrade" kits ready to go I bet they would sell like hotcakes.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index