Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Alan
03-24-1998, 02:59 PM
A little while ago, Fred Meloan posted that he saw an Imola Red M roadster at Heishman BMW with the following vin #: WBSCK9332WLC85210<p>Fred thought the vin was odd, as it did not start out with the sequence of characters indicating the car was made in the plant in Spartanburg.<p>I gave this vin to my salesman, who told me that it indeed indicated that the car was made in West Germany. However, he said that the M roadsters are definitely being made in Spartanburg. He will be calling someone in the next couple of days to find out what the deal is.<p>So, you M roadster owners out there--what are your VINs? Are they all like this?<p><br>--Alan

Robert
03-24-1998, 04:17 PM
<font color=gray>A little while ago, Fred Meloan posted that he saw an Imola Red M roadster at Heishman BMW with the following vin #: WBSCK9332WLC85210<p>: Fred thought the vin was odd, as it did not start out with the sequence of characters indicating the car was made in the plant in Spartanburg.<p>: I gave this vin to my salesman, who told me that it indeed indicated that the car was made in West Germany. However, he said that the M roadsters are definitely being made in Spartanburg. He will be calling someone in the next couple of days to find out what the deal is.<p>: So, you M roadster owners out there--what are your VINs? Are they all like this?<p>: <br>: --Alan</font><p>I checked the vin number of the mz3 at my dealership, it also started with the WBSC. I figured that maybe it was because the M engine is assembled in germany.

Alan
03-24-1998, 04:50 PM
<i>: I checked the vin number of the mz3 at my dealership, it also started with the WBSC. I figured that maybe it was because the M engine is assembled in germany.</i><p>I thought about that too, but I thought I heard that all the Z3 engines were assembled in Germany and shipped to SC. Are the other motors assembled at the Spartanburg plant?<p><br>--Alan

Tom N
03-24-1998, 05:33 PM
My //M has all the same letters in its VIN, with a "1" after the "933" instead of a "2". My car was Feb production.<p>: A little while ago, Fred Meloan posted that he saw an Imola Red M roadster at Heishman BMW with the following vin #: WBSCK9332WLC85210<p>: Fred thought the vin was odd, as it did not start out with the sequence of characters indicating the car was made in the plant in Spartanburg.<p>: I gave this vin to my salesman, who told me that it indeed indicated that the car was made in West Germany. However, he said that the M roadsters are definitely being made in Spartanburg. He will be calling someone in the next couple of days to find out what the deal is.<p>: So, you M roadster owners out there--what are your VINs? Are they all like this?<p>: <br>: --Alan<p>

Alex Martinez
03-24-1998, 05:35 PM
Supposedly the 2.8 engines are made in a plant in Austria. I don't know where the 1.9's come from.<p>I do rember from the window stickers that about 60% of the 2.8's parts come from Germany. That number doesn't include the transmition which comes from France. I might be a bit off in the percentage number, after all, its been a year. :-)<p>Happy motoring,<br>Alex Martinez.

Ken :-)
03-24-1998, 05:56 PM
My window sticker said something to the effect of 80% German content (as opposed to 60 for a Z3), my VIN is WBSCK9333WLC85040<p><i>: A little while ago, Fred Meloan posted that he saw an Imola Red M roadster at Heishman BMW with the following vin #: WBSCK9332WLC85210<p>: Fred thought the vin was odd, as it did not start out with the sequence of characters indicating the car was made in the plant in Spartanburg.<p>: I gave this vin to my salesman, who told me that it indeed indicated that the car was made in West Germany. However, he said that the M roadsters are definitely being made in Spartanburg. He will be calling someone in the next couple of days to find out what the deal is.<p>: So, you M roadster owners out there--what are your VINs? Are they all like this?<p>: <br>: --Alan<p></i>

Bruce
03-24-1998, 06:03 PM
alan,<p>remember this post? any other questions?

Alan
03-24-1998, 06:09 PM

Robert
03-25-1998, 09:45 AM
<font color=gray>My window sticker said something to the effect of 80% German content (as opposed to 60 for a Z3), my VIN is WBSCK9333WLC85040</font><p>I bet that's it, the higher percent of German content might have made the "official origin" switch from US to Germany.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index