Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Mike W
03-31-1999, 03:07 PM
My very good friend is contemplating the purchase of a Z3 coupe. In his message to the board, he asked your advice because you know the car. He mentioned the fact that I had a C5 Corvette, as a comparison to the M coupe. Now I acknowledge that the BMW is a very interesting car, especially the M. But some of the chat comments about the C5 were baseless. One suggested that in 6 months it was a rattle trap. Unless this guy has a Z3 and a C5, I don't think he knows. Others compared the handling. My hardtop with the Z51 suspension will give your M a go! Let's be reasonable, car guys.

Anthony [99 Z3 Coupe 2.8]
03-31-1999, 03:17 PM
Well what did you expect? :)<p>We are Coupe lovers here, so sure we're going to talk. The current Corvette is much closer to my ideal sports car then previously.<p>And the hardtop is a good deal, standard with sports suspension, and six speed, and it already has what BMW is calling DSC (Dynamic Stability Control). It is hard to argue with that much torque too.<p>-Anthony<p><i>: My very good friend is contemplating the purchase of a Z3 coupe. In his message to the board, he asked your advice because you know the car. He mentioned the fact that I had a C5 Corvette, as a comparison to the M coupe. Now I acknowledge that the BMW is a very interesting car, especially the M. But some of the chat comments about the C5 were baseless. One suggested that in 6 months it was a rattle trap. Unless this guy has a Z3 and a C5, I don't think he knows. Others compared the handling. My hardtop with the Z51 suspension will give your M a go! Let's be reasonable, car guys.<p></i>

BimmerMan
03-31-1999, 07:04 PM
that C5s are just too damn common. The C5 simply doesn't draw as many stares as the M and 2.8 Coupes. Besides...would you rather drive a Chevy or a BMW? Answer honestly.<p>This isn't directed at you Anthony.

Mr M Coupe
03-31-1999, 08:00 PM
Well, <br>The C5 is a great car to look at and to drive... but the problem is the body panels... <br>I went to a Chevy dealer with a friend of mine who was going to get an S10.... The dealer was so proud and had a $5000 markup on the price... <br>He was talking as if I can not afford it.... <br>But a closer look at the car and at its panels showed how cheap the car is...<br>The Corvette has went a long way from the previous one... but there is always something missing.. <br>I agree that you can not talk about the rattles unless you have the car.... <br>It is a nice car... but again.. They are a dime a dozen.. <br>Everywhere you go and everywhere you look.. <br>M Coupe is just fine for me .. <br>I don't want to be in a car that has Fiberglass body panels... They just don't seem safe for me.. <br>Enjoy your driving.. <br>Mr M Coupe...///

Alf
03-31-1999, 08:29 PM
The C5 is indeed commonly seen. The C5 hardtop will be less so; I believe that approx 15% of C5 production will be devoted to the hardtop.<p>The 2.8 and M Coupes will be far and few between in comparison to the C5. One worry / concern that I have concerns the potential resale value of the 2.8/M Coupes.<p>My local dealer has had a brand new M Coupe (Imola Red) on his showroom floor since December. He's also had a gorgeous Bright Red 2.8 Coupe on his lot for at least 6 weeks. The dealer where I purchased my BMW had a 2.8 Coupe for over 4 months before it was sold.<p>The Coupe is a very special car, appealing to very discriminating tastes. It may also prove to be a nightmare when the 'new' wears off and it's time to trade.<p>Am I correct in saying that BMW dealers had a heck of a time selling off the limited run of M3 Lightweights a few years back? Are the 2.8/M Coupes doomed to a similar fate ?? At the 1999 Chicago Auto Show, BMW failed to display a single 2.8 or M Coupe - the dealer reps on the floor told me that the Coupes are as 'cold as ice' in the Chicago market.

04-01-1999, 01:29 AM
I don't even care if they ever stop makeing them. I will always keep my Coupe. Mine was on the lot three months before I was able to work out a deal. I saw it when it first came in in the showroom. <br>I knew no matter what that I must posses it.<p>If one wanted to sell the coupe it is just a matter of time. It wouldn't sell the first day, you'd probably have wait.<p>Dealers would probably not give you near as much on a trade because they like cars that turn around. It costs them money to keep cars on the lot.<p>-Anthony<p><i>: The C5 is indeed commonly seen. The C5 hardtop will be less so; I believe that approx 15% of C5 production will be devoted to the hardtop.<p>: The 2.8 and M Coupes will be far and few between in comparison to the C5. One worry / concern that I have concerns the potential resale value of the 2.8/M Coupes.<p>: My local dealer has had a brand new M Coupe (Imola Red) on his showroom floor since December. He's also had a gorgeous Bright Red 2.8 Coupe on his lot for at least 6 weeks. The dealer where I purchased my BMW had a 2.8 Coupe for over 4 months before it was sold.<p>: The Coupe is a very special car, appealing to very discriminating tastes. It may also prove to be a nightmare when the 'new' wears off and it's time to trade.<p>: Am I correct in saying that BMW dealers had a heck of a time selling off the limited run of M3 Lightweights a few years back? Are the 2.8/M Coupes doomed to a similar fate ?? At the 1999 Chicago Auto Show, BMW failed to display a single 2.8 or M Coupe - the dealer reps on the floor told me that the Coupes are as 'cold as ice' in the Chicago market. <p></i>

04-01-1999, 01:32 AM
Well really the Corvette is a great car. The M/Z3 Coupe though, is the perfect car. Power. Poise. Stance. Agression. Quick. Nimble. Precise. The M/Z3 Coupe. Accept no substitute.<p><i>: that C5s are just too damn common. The C5 simply doesn't draw as many stares as the M and 2.8 Coupes. Besides...would you rather drive a Chevy or a BMW? Answer honestly.<p>: This isn't directed at you Anthony.<p></i>

No Coupe Yet
04-01-1999, 08:35 AM
At the 1999 Chicago Auto Show, BMW failed to display a single 2.8 or M Coupe - the dealer reps on the floor told me that the Coupes are as 'cold as ice' in the Chicago market. <p>I went to the show with the specific hope of trying an M Coupe on for size (6'4", 230), and came away with only a brochure. One more in the endless string of bitter disappointments that is life!<p>I can say that I've never so much as caught a glimpse of a Coupe on the roads around Chicago, and I keep my eyes open. Lots of open Z3's, though... <p></i>

Gilbert
04-01-1999, 09:46 AM
I have sat in a Mcoupe at Philly auto show. I am 6-3" (195lbs) I cannot get comfortable in that car. The way to fit long legs is to make the seatback more upright. This decreases head room, and is less comfortable(for me.) I partially considered getting one, but I just don't fit well in it. Damn!! Will have to wait for next generation E46 M3.<p>BTW, in North Jersey, I've seen two coupe (an M and a Z3)

Jim
04-01-1999, 10:18 AM
Yes, the Chicago Autoshow was a bit dissapointing for M fans, but the new M5 was there. WOW! <br>Not sure where you live in Chicago, but my new Estoril M Coupe is prowling the northern burbs. A fellow Windy City BMWCCA member who lives downtown somewhere has one too, I spoke with him at the autoshow.<p>Jim

No Coupe Yet
04-01-1999, 10:35 AM
: Not sure where you live in Chicago, but my new Estoril M Coupe is prowling the northern burbs. A fellow Windy City BMWCCA member who lives downtown somewhere has one too, I spoke with him at the autoshow.<p>: Jim<p></i><p>Yeah, the '5 was nice - not sure if I'll ever be ready for four doors though, even if it's got 100hp per!<p>I shuttle back & forth between Evanston & Arlington Heights. I'm a relatively new CCA member, though I don't drive a Bimmer (...yet).<p>Mike

No Coupe Yet
04-01-1999, 10:38 AM
No data here<i><br></i>

DMM
04-01-1999, 12:44 PM
I live downtown and purchased a black/black M Coupe at the end of Feb. Couldn't find a black/black M Coupe in the Chicago area so I had to go out of state to buy one. Didn't seem like demand was lacking at all for the car! I also just joined BMWCCA and hope to make the April 11th Safety Driving School. <p>BTW, I haven't seen another M Coupe on the streets yet but my fiance saw a green one the other day on Michigan Ave. <p><i>: Yes, the Chicago Autoshow was a bit dissapointing for M fans, but the new M5 was there. WOW! <br>: Not sure where you live in Chicago, but my new Estoril M Coupe is prowling the northern burbs. A fellow Windy City BMWCCA member who lives downtown somewhere has one too, I spoke with him at the autoshow.<p>: Jim<p></i>

NJA
04-01-1999, 12:45 PM
<i>: No data here<p></i>In your case, you might have to sever your head and put it in the passenger seat! Small price to pay for driving pleasure.

Ray H
04-01-1999, 01:50 PM
<br>: In your case, you might have to sever your head and put it in the passenger seat! Small price to pay for driving pleasure.<p><br>NJA,<p>you crack me up man! well, i can't speak for the previous posters ('no coupe yet' and 'gilbert') but sometimes i feel like i've 'lost' my head... i mean is it fair to have this much fun with and confidence in a car? LMAO. <p>i'm 5-11 and the seats fit perfectly but... the, then, the seat is all the way back (and that's w/a 32/33 inseam -- ok, i threw that in just in case anyone wants to send me some tailored 'coupe' slacks). :) <p>Ray H<br>99///M-Coupe<br>Artic Silver/Imola Red<br>LC60661<p>91 525i<br>ex87 325i

Gilbert
04-01-1999, 02:19 PM
With my 36 inseam, and the seat all the way back in my 328, I can't fully depress the clutch. Now that's leg room! (Of course, the front seat is touching the rear seat at that point.) I wanted so badly to fit in the MCoupe, I just don't, and I'll have to live with it.

No Coupe Yet
04-02-1999, 07:48 AM
You guys are depressing me! I'm not going to give up hope officially until I try one one for size (maybe this weekend...), but it sounds like I'll have to 'settle' for an M3. Curse my overly long frame!<p>LOL from NJA's post, too.<p>Can I be surgically shortened?

Chris H
04-03-1999, 12:50 AM
About the Chicago show, there is a white Z3 Coupe displayed, I thought I just make a small correction.<p>Also another facts is that Chicago area is the home to many M cars, much more compared to another area of the country.<p>Chris<br>Estoril Blue ///M Coupe<br>

CoupeDude
04-04-1999, 08:55 PM
legroom. More incline backwards less legroom. I have several modes of driving that I like to use.<p>I'm 5'10" and wouldn't want to be much taller. It's a shame that BMW cut out so many drivers but I agree with others, sometimes it's good to not be tall!<p>For all out performance driving, I like to sit away from the wheel with the back straight and tall, for better visibility (on autocrosses, I have to lean back a bit more then I like to accomodate helmet).<p>For daily driving I sit leaned back a bit.<p>For interstate cruising I put the seat into bed mode. That's also the ultra cool slow cruise mode too. Wish the Coupe had memory seating. . . <g>.<p><i>: <br>: : In your case, you might have to sever your head and put it in the passenger seat! Small price to pay for driving pleasure.<p>: <br>: NJA,<p>: you crack me up man! well, i can't speak for the previous posters ('no coupe yet' and 'gilbert') but sometimes i feel like i've 'lost' my head... i mean is it fair to have this much fun with and confidence in a car? LMAO. <p>: i'm 5-11 and the seats fit perfectly but... the, then, the seat is all the way back (and that's w/a 32/33 inseam -- ok, i threw that in just in case anyone wants to send me some tailored 'coupe' slacks). :) <p>: Ray H<br>: 99///M-Coupe<br>: Artic Silver/Imola Red<br>: LC60661<p>: 91 525i<br>: ex87 325i<p></i>

CoupeDude
04-04-1999, 09:02 PM
Don't give up untill you try! Perhaps there may be something aftermarket that you can do to help things.<p>If anything, you may just not be able to lean back at all, but sit upright. A lot depends on how long your legs are.<p>I mean I wouldn't get it if it is just totally uncomfortable, no point torturing yourself, but no other BMW, not even the M3 has the same experience as the Coupe. Nothing else I have ever driven does (that's not a long list, but I have driven an M3, on the track even).<p>Another possibility is the M Compact if that makes it, but it is just a rumor. The M Compact would be a three series hatchback (like the 318ti). That would be a good second choice for me, again if the US ever sees it.<p><i>: You guys are depressing me! I'm not going to give up hope officially until I try one one for size (maybe this weekend...), but it sounds like I'll have to 'settle' for an M3. Curse my overly long frame!<p>: LOL from NJA's post, too.<p>: Can I be surgically shortened?<p></i>

No Coupe Yet
04-05-1999, 06:39 AM
<i>: About the Chicago show, there is a white Z3 Coupe displayed, I thought I just make a small correction.<p>There was no Coupe at the Auto Show when I was there. I looked, and asked.<p>: Also another facts is that Chicago area is the home to many M cars, much more compared to another area of the country.<p>I can't address this, but I know there are plenty of M's here.<p>: Chris<br>: Estoril Blue ///M Coupe<p></i>

SC
04-26-1999, 11:53 AM
<i>: that C5s are just too damn common. The C5 simply doesn't draw as many stares as the M and 2.8 Coupes. Besides...would you rather drive a Chevy or a BMW? Answer honestly.<p>: This isn't directed at you Anthony.<p></i>Bimmer Man, If you live in the SF Bay Area you would say that BMW's are "just too damn common", just as common as Hondas. Drive up 101 or 280 during commute hours and you will count just as much BMW's as Hondas. I see a lot less C5's than BMW's. I do not have a M3 right now but I would definitely like to get one in the furture.<p>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index