Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

CoupeDude
04-04-1999, 06:20 PM
Yesterday afternoon, I'm in western NC, somewhere south of Asheville in my Z3 Coupe 2.8. I was on a road trip and supposed to be heading south.<p>I took some backroads as a short cut to hook up with interstate 26. Well I got pretty lost, but didn't really care because I found the twistiest road around some lake. I mean these were hairpins. And beutifull scenery too, just like the movies.<p>I'm haveing the most fun I've ever had in my Coupe ever. This is a one lane in each direction road and I pull behind a rather slow driver in a Volvo.<p>There is no place with a divided line for passing. I follow this car for a bit, but they are going so god awfull slow. I decide I'll pass on the next straight stretch. I turn off the ASC to make sure I don't loose any power.<p>When I do try, the Volvo pulls into the middle of the road and brakes, attempting to prevent me from passing. Of course the testosterone starts to pump and so I keep on him. Finally we are approaching a sharp curve to the right.<p>He returns to his lane and I hit the gas, cutting it into a slide into that aformentioned right hand curve at a fairly good speed (you know how fast it accelerates). <p>What I couldn't see before hand however was that almost immediately after the curve was an even more brutal (probably 120-140 degrees) tight curve downward in the other direction back to the left, followed immediately by another one back up to the right.<p>On one side of the road was straight up the mountain and some big rocks, on the other was down through the trees to the lake shimmering in the late afternoon sun. Oh **** I thought.<p>For the first time (off the autocross course) I KNEW I had exceeded my limits, and perhaps the limits of the Z3. And the elevation differences seemed to make matters worse.<p>With the massive amounts of adrenelin I can't remember exactly how I pulled through it but it involved a lot of sliding and sideways tire screeching through these twists. I remember just cutting the wheel in direction I wanted to go, after the initial curve, hard left, screech!, hard right, screech! and a bit of counter steer at the end to the left, and then as if nothing happened I smoothly continued onto a gracefull left hand sweep. <p>It was extremely exciting when it happened I don't think words can do it justice. I didn't have time to be scared, but I did think that chances were that I was going off the road.<p>In a lesser car the results may have not been as good. Passive safety means nothing compared to Active. A big car might offer protection but I'd rather not plow off one of these roads, I don't care if it's in a suburban.<p>Anyway, I made a stupid mistake by letting myself try something dangereous because I was challanged, and the Z3 saved my butt. I know this is wrong, but it gave me a rush afterwords. What an unbeleivably capable auto.<p>I wonder if the guy behind me thought I meant to do that. Oh well.<p>Now I have one question.<p>I turned off the traction control prior to this. What would have happened if I had it on? I'm thinking I wouldn't be able to slide like that and would have exited the road.

he
04-05-1999, 12:56 PM
<i>: Yesterday afternoon, I'm in western NC, somewhere south of Asheville in my Z3 Coupe 2.8. I was on a road trip and supposed to be heading south.<p>: I took some backroads as a short cut to hook up with interstate 26. Well I got pretty lost, but didn't really care because I found the twistiest road around some lake. I mean these were hairpins. And beutifull scenery too, just like the movies.<p>: I'm haveing the most fun I've ever had in my Coupe ever. This is a one lane in each direction road and I pull behind a rather slow driver in a Volvo.<p>: There is no place with a divided line for passing. I follow this car for a bit, but they are going so god awfull slow. I decide I'll pass on the next straight stretch. I turn off the ASC to make sure I don't loose any power.<p>: When I do try, the Volvo pulls into the middle of the road and brakes, attempting to prevent me from passing. Of course the testosterone starts to pump and so I keep on him. Finally we are approaching a sharp curve to the right.<p>: He returns to his lane and I hit the gas, cutting it into a slide into that aformentioned right hand curve at a fairly good speed (you know how fast it accelerates). <p>: What I couldn't see before hand however was that almost immediately after the curve was an even more brutal (probably 120-140 degrees) tight curve downward in the other direction back to the left, followed immediately by another one back up to the right.<p>: On one side of the road was straight up the mountain and some big rocks, on the other was down through the trees to the lake shimmering in the late afternoon sun. Oh **** I thought.<p>: For the first time (off the autocross course) I KNEW I had exceeded my limits, and perhaps the limits of the Z3. And the elevation differences seemed to make matters worse.<p>: With the massive amounts of adrenelin I can't remember exactly how I pulled through it but it involved a lot of sliding and sideways tire screeching through these twists. I remember just cutting the wheel in direction I wanted to go, after the initial curve, hard left, screech!, hard right, screech! and a bit of counter steer at the end to the left, and then as if nothing happened I smoothly continued onto a gracefull left hand sweep. <p>: It was extremely exciting when it happened I don't think words can do it justice. I didn't have time to be scared, but I did think that chances were that I was going off the road.<p>: In a lesser car the results may have not been as good. Passive safety means nothing compared to Active. A big car might offer protection but I'd rather not plow off one of these roads, I don't care if it's in a suburban.<p>: Anyway, I made a stupid mistake by letting myself try something dangereous because I was challanged, and the Z3 saved my butt. I know this is wrong, but it gave me a rush afterwords. What an unbeleivably capable auto.<p>: I wonder if the guy behind me thought I meant to do that. Oh well.<p>: Now I have one question.<p>: I turned off the traction control prior to this. What would have happened if I had it on? I'm thinking I wouldn't be able to slide like that and would have exited the road.<p></i>of luck. I'm glad I am not your insurance agent.

Mr M Coupe
04-06-1999, 01:59 AM
<i>: Yesterday afternoon, I'm in western NC, somewhere south of Asheville in my Z3 Coupe 2.8. I was on a road trip and supposed to be heading south.<p>: I took some backroads as a short cut to hook up with interstate 26. Well I got pretty lost, but didn't really care because I found the twistiest road around some lake. I mean these were hairpins. And beutifull scenery too, just like the movies.<p>: I'm haveing the most fun I've ever had in my Coupe ever. This is a one lane in each direction road and I pull behind a rather slow driver in a Volvo.<p>: There is no place with a divided line for passing. I follow this car for a bit, but they are going so god awfull slow. I decide I'll pass on the next straight stretch. I turn off the ASC to make sure I don't loose any power.<p>: When I do try, the Volvo pulls into the middle of the road and brakes, attempting to prevent me from passing. Of course the testosterone starts to pump and so I keep on him. Finally we are approaching a sharp curve to the right.<p>: He returns to his lane and I hit the gas, cutting it into a slide into that aformentioned right hand curve at a fairly good speed (you know how fast it accelerates). <p>: What I couldn't see before hand however was that almost immediately after the curve was an even more brutal (probably 120-140 degrees) tight curve downward in the other direction back to the left, followed immediately by another one back up to the right.<p>: On one side of the road was straight up the mountain and some big rocks, on the other was down through the trees to the lake shimmering in the late afternoon sun. Oh **** I thought.<p>: For the first time (off the autocross course) I KNEW I had exceeded my limits, and perhaps the limits of the Z3. And the elevation differences seemed to make matters worse.<p>: With the massive amounts of adrenelin I can't remember exactly how I pulled through it but it involved a lot of sliding and sideways tire screeching through these twists. I remember just cutting the wheel in direction I wanted to go, after the initial curve, hard left, screech!, hard right, screech! and a bit of counter steer at the end to the left, and then as if nothing happened I smoothly continued onto a gracefull left hand sweep. <p>: It was extremely exciting when it happened I don't think words can do it justice. I didn't have time to be scared, but I did think that chances were that I was going off the road.<p>: In a lesser car the results may have not been as good. Passive safety means nothing compared to Active. A big car might offer protection but I'd rather not plow off one of these roads, I don't care if it's in a suburban.<p>: Anyway, I made a stupid mistake by letting myself try something dangereous because I was challanged, and the Z3 saved my butt. I know this is wrong, but it gave me a rush afterwords. What an unbeleivably capable auto.<p>: I wonder if the guy behind me thought I meant to do that. Oh well.<p>: Now I have one question.<p>: I turned off the traction control prior to this. What would have happened if I had it on? I'm thinking I wouldn't be able to slide like that and would have exited the road.<p></i>

CoupeDude
04-06-1999, 07:45 AM
He totally backed off. Down the road, near an intersection I pulled off the road to figure out where I was going. He might have thought I pulled over to confront him or something, so he came up real slow and then took off after he passed.<p>It turned out that the road I was going to go on was the same one he was on and so I was again behind him, but for whatever reason, he drove a reasonable speed.<p><i>: : Yesterday afternoon, I'm in western NC, somewhere south of Asheville in my Z3 Coupe 2.8. I was on a road trip and supposed to be heading south.<p>: : I took some backroads as a short cut to hook up with interstate 26. Well I got pretty lost, but didn't really care because I found the twistiest road around some lake. I mean these were hairpins. And beutifull scenery too, just like the movies.<p>: : I'm haveing the most fun I've ever had in my Coupe ever. This is a one lane in each direction road and I pull behind a rather slow driver in a Volvo.<p>: : There is no place with a divided line for passing. I follow this car for a bit, but they are going so god awfull slow. I decide I'll pass on the next straight stretch. I turn off the ASC to make sure I don't loose any power.<p>: : When I do try, the Volvo pulls into the middle of the road and brakes, attempting to prevent me from passing. Of course the testosterone starts to pump and so I keep on him. Finally we are approaching a sharp curve to the right.<p>: : He returns to his lane and I hit the gas, cutting it into a slide into that aformentioned right hand curve at a fairly good speed (you know how fast it accelerates). <p>: : What I couldn't see before hand however was that almost immediately after the curve was an even more brutal (probably 120-140 degrees) tight curve downward in the other direction back to the left, followed immediately by another one back up to the right.<p>: : On one side of the road was straight up the mountain and some big rocks, on the other was down through the trees to the lake shimmering in the late afternoon sun. Oh **** I thought.<p>: : For the first time (off the autocross course) I KNEW I had exceeded my limits, and perhaps the limits of the Z3. And the elevation differences seemed to make matters worse.<p>: : With the massive amounts of adrenelin I can't remember exactly how I pulled through it but it involved a lot of sliding and sideways tire screeching through these twists. I remember just cutting the wheel in direction I wanted to go, after the initial curve, hard left, screech!, hard right, screech! and a bit of counter steer at the end to the left, and then as if nothing happened I smoothly continued onto a gracefull left hand sweep. <p>: : It was extremely exciting when it happened I don't think words can do it justice. I didn't have time to be scared, but I did think that chances were that I was going off the road.<p>: : In a lesser car the results may have not been as good. Passive safety means nothing compared to Active. A big car might offer protection but I'd rather not plow off one of these roads, I don't care if it's in a suburban.<p>: : Anyway, I made a stupid mistake by letting myself try something dangereous because I was challanged, and the Z3 saved my butt. I know this is wrong, but it gave me a rush afterwords. What an unbeleivably capable auto.<p>: : I wonder if the guy behind me thought I meant to do that. Oh well.<p>: : Now I have one question.<p>: : I turned off the traction control prior to this. What would have happened if I had it on? I'm thinking I wouldn't be able to slide like that and would have exited the road.<p></i>

kjk
04-07-1999, 10:02 AM
<i>: : Yesterday afternoon, I'm in western NC, somewhere south of Asheville in my Z3 Coupe 2.8. I was on a road trip and supposed to be heading south.<p>: : I took some backroads as a short cut to hook up with interstate 26. Well I got pretty lost, but didn't really care because I found the twistiest road around some lake. I mean these were hairpins. And beutifull scenery too, just like the movies.<p>: : I'm haveing the most fun I've ever had in my Coupe ever. This is a one lane in each direction road and I pull behind a rather slow driver in a Volvo.<p>: : There is no place with a divided line for passing. I follow this car for a bit, but they are going so god awfull slow. I decide I'll pass on the next straight stretch. I turn off the ASC to make sure I don't loose any power.<p>: : When I do try, the Volvo pulls into the middle of the road and brakes, attempting to prevent me from passing. Of course the testosterone starts to pump and so I keep on him. Finally we are approaching a sharp curve to the right.<p>: : He returns to his lane and I hit the gas, cutting it into a slide into that aformentioned right hand curve at a fairly good speed (you know how fast it accelerates). <p>: : What I couldn't see before hand however was that almost immediately after the curve was an even more brutal (probably 120-140 degrees) tight curve downward in the other direction back to the left, followed immediately by another one back up to the right.<p>: : On one side of the road was straight up the mountain and some big rocks, on the other was down through the trees to the lake shimmering in the late afternoon sun. Oh **** I thought.<p>: : For the first time (off the autocross course) I KNEW I had exceeded my limits, and perhaps the limits of the Z3. And the elevation differences seemed to make matters worse.<p>: : With the massive amounts of adrenelin I can't remember exactly how I pulled through it but it involved a lot of sliding and sideways tire screeching through these twists. I remember just cutting the wheel in direction I wanted to go, after the initial curve, hard left, screech!, hard right, screech! and a bit of counter steer at the end to the left, and then as if nothing happened I smoothly continued onto a gracefull left hand sweep. <p>: : It was extremely exciting when it happened I don't think words can do it justice. I didn't have time to be scared, but I did think that chances were that I was going off the road.<p>: : In a lesser car the results may have not been as good. Passive safety means nothing compared to Active. A big car might offer protection but I'd rather not plow off one of these roads, I don't care if it's in a suburban.<p>: : Anyway, I made a stupid mistake by letting myself try something dangereous because I was challanged, and the Z3 saved my butt. I know this is wrong, but it gave me a rush afterwords. What an unbeleivably capable auto.<p>: : I wonder if the guy behind me thought I meant to do that. Oh well.<p>: : Now I have one question.<p>: : I turned off the traction control prior to this. What would have happened if I had it on? I'm thinking I wouldn't be able to slide like that and would have exited the road.<p>: of luck. I'm glad I am not your insurance agent.<p></i>Next time he will probably move for a Z3. I was driving my M5 last weekend and ran in to a guy just like that. There was no traffic and he passed three or four turnouts without pulling over (on a beautiful backroad, great weather, what a waste). I had not tailgated him or used my highbeams, I merely got close enough he knew I wanted to pass. After the fourth turnout, I did get close to let him know I had had enough. Of course, he slams on his brakes, which I had anticipated and already had my foot on my brake. He had his wife or girlfriend in the car and I just don't understand why he would not let me pass. Does he want me riding his *** for six miles? Same thing happened with a 325i on the freeway (guy doesn't deserve a Bimmer), guys in the fast lane, doesn't speed up or slow down but paces the car in the number two lane at 65mph for about a mile. He actually slows down enough that I can pull into the number two and pass (with a quick drop to fourth gear of course)and then he high beams me. AHHHHHHH! What is it with these people? Are they playing "cop for the day"? <p>kjk 91 M5

(eom) Lester
04-07-1999, 10:56 PM
<i>: Yesterday afternoon, I'm in western NC, somewhere south of Asheville in my Z3 Coupe 2.8. I was on a road trip and supposed to be heading south.<p>: I took some backroads as a short cut to hook up with interstate 26. Well I got pretty lost, but didn't really care because I found the twistiest road around some lake. I mean these were hairpins. And beutifull scenery too, just like the movies.<p>: I'm haveing the most fun I've ever had in my Coupe ever. This is a one lane in each direction road and I pull behind a rather slow driver in a Volvo.<p>: There is no place with a divided line for passing. I follow this car for a bit, but they are going so god awfull slow. I decide I'll pass on the next straight stretch. I turn off the ASC to make sure I don't loose any power.<p>: When I do try, the Volvo pulls into the middle of the road and brakes, attempting to prevent me from passing. Of course the testosterone starts to pump and so I keep on him. Finally we are approaching a sharp curve to the right.<p>: He returns to his lane and I hit the gas, cutting it into a slide into that aformentioned right hand curve at a fairly good speed (you know how fast it accelerates). <p>: What I couldn't see before hand however was that almost immediately after the curve was an even more brutal (probably 120-140 degrees) tight curve downward in the other direction back to the left, followed immediately by another one back up to the right.<p>: On one side of the road was straight up the mountain and some big rocks, on the other was down through the trees to the lake shimmering in the late afternoon sun. Oh **** I thought.<p>: For the first time (off the autocross course) I KNEW I had exceeded my limits, and perhaps the limits of the Z3. And the elevation differences seemed to make matters worse.<p>: With the massive amounts of adrenelin I can't remember exactly how I pulled through it but it involved a lot of sliding and sideways tire screeching through these twists. I remember just cutting the wheel in direction I wanted to go, after the initial curve, hard left, screech!, hard right, screech! and a bit of counter steer at the end to the left, and then as if nothing happened I smoothly continued onto a gracefull left hand sweep. <p>: It was extremely exciting when it happened I don't think words can do it justice. I didn't have time to be scared, but I did think that chances were that I was going off the road.<p>: In a lesser car the results may have not been as good. Passive safety means nothing compared to Active. A big car might offer protection but I'd rather not plow off one of these roads, I don't care if it's in a suburban.<p>: Anyway, I made a stupid mistake by letting myself try something dangereous because I was challanged, and the Z3 saved my butt. I know this is wrong, but it gave me a rush afterwords. What an unbeleivably capable auto.<p>: I wonder if the guy behind me thought I meant to do that. Oh well.<p>: Now I have one question.<p>: I turned off the traction control prior to this. What would have happened if I had it on? I'm thinking I wouldn't be able to slide like that and would have exited the road.<p></i>

billz3
04-09-1999, 11:53 AM

CoupeDude
04-09-1999, 07:37 PM
<br><i>: : Yesterday afternoon, I'm in western NC, somewhere south of Asheville in my Z3 Coupe 2.8. I was on a road trip and supposed to be heading south.<p>: : I took some backroads as a short cut to hook up with interstate 26. Well I got pretty lost, but didn't really care because I found the twistiest road around some lake. I mean these were hairpins. And beutifull scenery too, just like the movies.<p>: : I'm haveing the most fun I've ever had in my Coupe ever. This is a one lane in each direction road and I pull behind a rather slow driver in a Volvo.<p>: : There is no place with a divided line for passing. I follow this car for a bit, but they are going so god awfull slow. I decide I'll pass on the next straight stretch. I turn off the ASC to make sure I don't loose any power.<p>: : When I do try, the Volvo pulls into the middle of the road and brakes, attempting to prevent me from passing. Of course the testosterone starts to pump and so I keep on him. Finally we are approaching a sharp curve to the right.<p>: : He returns to his lane and I hit the gas, cutting it into a slide into that aformentioned right hand curve at a fairly good speed (you know how fast it accelerates). <p>: : What I couldn't see before hand however was that almost immediately after the curve was an even more brutal (probably 120-140 degrees) tight curve downward in the other direction back to the left, followed immediately by another one back up to the right.<p>: : On one side of the road was straight up the mountain and some big rocks, on the other was down through the trees to the lake shimmering in the late afternoon sun. Oh **** I thought.<p>: : For the first time (off the autocross course) I KNEW I had exceeded my limits, and perhaps the limits of the Z3. And the elevation differences seemed to make matters worse.<p>: : With the massive amounts of adrenelin I can't remember exactly how I pulled through it but it involved a lot of sliding and sideways tire screeching through these twists. I remember just cutting the wheel in direction I wanted to go, after the initial curve, hard left, screech!, hard right, screech! and a bit of counter steer at the end to the left, and then as if nothing happened I smoothly continued onto a gracefull left hand sweep. <p>: : It was extremely exciting when it happened I don't think words can do it justice. I didn't have time to be scared, but I did think that chances were that I was going off the road.<p>: : In a lesser car the results may have not been as good. Passive safety means nothing compared to Active. A big car might offer protection but I'd rather not plow off one of these roads, I don't care if it's in a suburban.<p>: : Anyway, I made a stupid mistake by letting myself try something dangereous because I was challanged, and the Z3 saved my butt. I know this is wrong, but it gave me a rush afterwords. What an unbeleivably capable auto.<p>: : I wonder if the guy behind me thought I meant to do that. Oh well.<p>: : Now I have one question.<p>: : I turned off the traction control prior to this. What would have happened if I had it on? I'm thinking I wouldn't be able to slide like that and would have exited the road.<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index