Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Josh Armantrout
04-05-1999, 03:02 PM
Hi guys,<p>I posted this to the roadster board too, so excuse the redundancy if you are monitoring both.<p>I'd like to put a bike rack on my M Coupe, but BMW isn't being very forthcoming with their offerings. I can't get confirmation that they are even going to offer one. None of the aftermarket companies are making one, yet. Yakima said they don't think they are going to do one. <p>I am not too familiar with how roof racks work. There are 2 little "access doors" on each of the strips on the top. I assume that these are for mounting a rack. Does anyone know how these things are supposed to work, and if they are the same as used on any other cars, BMW or otherwise. They look the same as the ones used on the new 911.<p>Does anyone have any ideas about where I should look for a solution?<p>Thanks for your help,<br>--Josh<p>

Scott
04-06-1999, 08:06 AM
At the Chicago Auto show on a 328i, BMW had the roof rack system that will be on our coupes from what I could tell. On the roof of your coupe you will find 4 small little doors that lift up, look for the black trim on the roof. Lift up and towards the middle of the car to open doors. Inside you will find a nut that has been welded to the roof frame. The roof rack system is made up of two bars that have two upright supports one on either end. The supports attach via a bolt to the nut on the roof frame. You can then attach to the bar addition pieces of the system to mount skies, bikes, etc.

Josh Armantrout
04-06-1999, 09:05 AM
Did the rack look cool or was it one of those ones that looks really utilitarian? I never made it to the Chicago show this year. First time in 10 years. I was thinking that a rack shaped like the one shown on the concept pix of the SLK coupe would be cool. Maybe even in a silver to match the rims. Well, I hope they hurrry up with the details on the rack so we have it to use this summer.<p>Thanks,<br> --Josh<p><i>: At the Chicago Auto show on a 328i, BMW had the roof rack system that will be on our coupes from what I could tell. On the roof of your coupe you will find 4 small little doors that lift up, look for the black trim on the roof. Lift up and towards the middle of the car to open doors. Inside you will find a nut that has been welded to the roof frame. The roof rack system is made up of two bars that have two upright supports one on either end. The supports attach via a bolt to the nut on the roof frame. You can then attach to the bar addition pieces of the system to mount skies, bikes, etc. <p></i>

Scott
04-06-1999, 07:28 PM
It looked much like every other rack on the market. Take a look at the materials on the 328i at the dealer to get an idea.

M Sipe
04-06-1999, 09:43 PM
nobody's going to be looking at the roof rack to see if it's cool or not. The only thing they'll be thinking is...<p>W-T-H was that! :-)

(end) Josh A.
04-06-1999, 10:24 PM
<i>: nobody's going to be looking at the roof rack to see if it's cool or not. The only thing they'll be thinking is...<p>: W-T-H was that! :-)<p></i>

Josh S
04-07-1999, 12:02 AM
<i>: Did the rack look cool or was it one of those ones that looks really utilitarian? <br></i><p>If it's the same as the E36 one, my roommate has one on her 318i. I think it's pretty ugly, but that's mostly because the bars are brushed aluminum, and it makes her black car look very tall. If it were black, that would be much nicer.<p>As far as the utility of it, they have a slot in the upper edge (like the newer Yakima bars, I think). You open a little cap on one end and slide your attachment in (the nut slides into a slot, and you tighten it down). You could probably fabricate a bracket to mount nearly standard Yakima or Thule attachment to it (I have a gazillion Thule pieces, so it's something I'm considering).<p>Josh (the first one :-)<br>

Josh S
04-07-1999, 12:10 AM
This is the BMW one I mention that my roomate has. Click "next" for accessories they sell for it.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index