Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Frank
04-05-1999, 03:26 PM
What is the interior fan for in the coupe that runs as soon as the engine starts and only shuts off several seconds after the ignition is off? It is not the heater/air cond. blower. In the coupe with no radio on the fan noise in annoying, even at highway speeds. Is this normal? Can it be shut off?<p>M coupe, Imola Red, 1200 Mi.

shot clock to quiet fan noise.
04-05-1999, 04:12 PM
<i>: What is the interior fan for in the coupe that runs as soon as the engine starts and only shuts off several seconds after the ignition is off? It is not the heater/air cond. blower. In the coupe with no radio on the fan noise in annoying, even at highway speeds. Is this normal? Can it be shut off?<p>: M coupe, Imola Red, 1200 Mi.<p></i>

M. BERLE
04-05-1999, 05:22 PM
<i>: : What is the interior fan for in the coupe that runs as soon as the engine starts and only shuts off several seconds after the ignition is off? It is not the heater/air cond. blower. In the coupe with no radio on the fan noise in annoying, even at highway speeds. Is this normal? Can it be shut off?<p>: : M coupe, Imola Red, 1200 Mi.<p></i>

Scott N
04-05-1999, 06:15 PM
<i>: I can hear the same thing. No clue where it's coming from.<br>Don't notice it when I'm driving, but sitting at an idle it very noticeable.<p>-s<br></i>

mikky
04-05-1999, 11:53 PM
<i>: : What is the interior fan for in the coupe that runs as soon as the engine starts and only shuts off several seconds after the ignition is off? It is not the heater/air cond. blower. In the coupe with no radio on the fan noise in annoying, even at highway speeds. Is this normal? Can it be shut off?<p>: : M coupe, Imola Red, 1200 Mi.<p></i>

imola ///Mikky
04-05-1999, 11:55 PM
<i>: What is the interior fan for in the coupe that runs as soon as the engine starts and only shuts off several seconds after the ignition is off? It is not the heater/air cond. blower. In the coupe with no radio on the fan noise in annoying, even at highway speeds. Is this normal? Can it be shut off?<p>: M coupe, Imola Red, 1200 Mi.<br>if ya figure it out let me know: M coupe, Imola Red, 3500 Mi<br></i>

Scott
04-06-1999, 07:52 AM
The fan noise is coming from the cooling fan that is under the computer in the engine compartment on the passenger side next to the fire wall. The fan sucks air from the cabin passenger side, under the dash, and blows it upwards to cool the computer. If you look into this you will find a bellows shaped rubber tube that connects the passenger fire wall with the fan. The fan can be disconnected by opening the computer compartment and you will find a two wire connector on top of the computer that has wires running down to the fan, I'm sure BMW would advise against it. From what I can tell, it's the fan that is causing the noise. Maybe BMW could find a more quitter fan and also look into vibration damping devices.

04-06-1999, 08:26 AM
<i>: : : What is the interior fan for in the coupe that runs as soon as the engine starts and only shuts off several seconds after the ignition is off? It is not the heater/air cond. blower. In the coupe with no radio on the fan noise in annoying, even at highway speeds. Is this normal? Can it be shut off?<p>: : : M coupe, Imola Red, 1200 Mi.<p></i>

Jim
04-06-1999, 09:21 AM
Thanks Scott. I had noticed the fan too in my few days in new my oh so sweet Coupe and wondered what is was.<p>Jim

M Sipe
04-06-1999, 07:34 PM
We initially thought the noise was a fan too. Then we thought it sounded more like a bad clutch throwout or trans bearing. Then we figured it out with a stethescope.<p>If you turn off the computer fan you'll quickly realize how little noise it actually makes. The real culprit is harmonics from the fuel rail bypass line that runs back to the gas tank along the trans tunnel. You can tell this is what it is by:<p>a) if you listen closely under heavy acceleration the noise stops, because fuel isn't being bypassed due to the increased flow to the injectors.<p>b)turn the ignition on without starting the engine and listen to how loud the fuel flowing through the bypass line under the trans tunnel is.

Scott
04-07-1999, 08:06 AM
I have that fuel rail return sound in my car also. It reminded me of oil flowing to the front oil cooler in my old 911. I agree, it is an additional sound in the car and I hear it behind and underneath the car. I just started noticing it a few weeks ago.<br> <br>I my case the computer fan is much louder than the fuel rail return and runs for a few seconds after the car is turned off. In fact with the windows up and setting in stopped traffic I can hear the computer fan over the cars around me coming from the lower part of the passenger side glove box.

M Sipe
04-07-1999, 12:11 PM
That's funny because the fuel return line noise is very loud (read: extremely annoying) and the main source of interior noise in my 2.8 coupe.

Scott
04-07-1999, 10:20 PM
You know what we have is two real noise problems. The fuel rail on yours is louder than the fan and on mine the fan is louder than the fuel rail. I feel that both of these conditions are very possible and valid.

M Sipe
04-08-1999, 01:36 PM
is also very loud, but only cycles on and off during AC use.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index