Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Heavy Foot
04-11-1999, 09:24 PM
Hello all. I bought an awesome M-Coupe about a month ago and have a couple of questions . . . <p>How important is the break in period? When I first got the car, I revved high enough to hit the rev limiter (it's easy to do) on two occasions. I then read the window sticker, which advised against going over 4500 rpm for the first 1200 miles. Did I do any damage? For the remainder of the break in I have been pretty good, mostly staying to 5000 and below, and two or three times to 5500. I am sorry, but BMW cannot expect the consumer to keep this incredible car below 4500 RPM for 1200 miles!<p>I have also been told that one should wait until the oil is 160 deg. before hitting it. Any idea?<p>Thanks and enjoy your cars!<p><p><p>

CoupeDude
04-12-1999, 09:45 AM
The idea is to generally drive in an easy manner, but a few times won't hurt anything. I did one or two full throttle starts doing my break in, and i'm sure anyone test driving a new Coupe would too.<p>In general keep the RPMs low and inconsistent. After about 2K miles I started to open it up and more and now at 6K I am really enjoying my Z Coupe.<p><p><i>: Hello all. I bought an awesome M-Coupe about a month ago and have a couple of questions . . . <p>: How important is the break in period? When I first got the car, I revved high enough to hit the rev limiter (it's easy to do) on two occasions. I then read the window sticker, which advised against going over 4500 rpm for the first 1200 miles. Did I do any damage? For the remainder of the break in I have been pretty good, mostly staying to 5000 and below, and two or three times to 5500. I am sorry, but BMW cannot expect the consumer to keep this incredible car below 4500 RPM for 1200 miles!<p>: I have also been told that one should wait until the oil is 160 deg. before hitting it. Any idea?<p>: Thanks and enjoy your cars!<p></i>

Andy T
04-13-1999, 01:31 PM
No, no damage done, unless you redline at every gear change in which case the engine will wear out very fast. You can argue the red-line/don't red-line break-in argument all day - I won't. <p>I tend to stick roughly to the break-in procedures (well, maybe you can use 5,000 instead of 4,500 or whatever, and full throttle is OK every now and again, that kind of thing). You can ignore BMW's running-in guidelines if you want, but it would be churlish to then blame BMW if wear problems developed down the line. It's probably an idea to get a young second-hand one if you want to rev to the limiter from the off. <p>Whatever you do, you should wait until the oil temp is up and steady before bouncing it off the limiter. Rev-limiting it from cold will ruin the engine very quickly (there is no argument about that).<p>Andy T<p>: Hello all. I bought an awesome M-Coupe about a month ago and have a couple of questions . . . <p>: How important is the break in period? When I first got the car, I revved high enough to hit the rev limiter (it's easy to do) on two occasions. I then read the window sticker, which advised against going over 4500 rpm for the first 1200 miles. Did I do any damage? For the remainder of the break in I have been pretty good, mostly staying to 5000 and below, and two or three times to 5500. I am sorry, but BMW cannot expect the consumer to keep this incredible car below 4500 RPM for 1200 miles!<p>: I have also been told that one should wait until the oil is 160 deg. before hitting it. Any idea?<p>: Thanks and enjoy your cars!<p>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index