Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

New Owner
04-11-1999, 09:26 PM
I recently got an m coupe. The car often hesitates slightly when shifting into first after it has just been started. After is has been coaxed with a little gas, it smoothes out and goes just fine.<p>Anyone else have this problem?<p><br>

Paul M
04-11-1999, 10:01 PM
<p>Anybody have an answer?

Alan
04-11-1999, 10:54 PM
<i>: I recently got an m coupe. The car often hesitates slightly when shifting into first after it has just been started. After is has been coaxed with a little gas, it smoothes out and goes just fine.</i><p><br>If what you are describing is a bit of a rough idle upon cold startup, or a tendency for the RPMs to actually drop slightly when you step lightly on the gas when the engine is first started cold, then you are describing a very common problem with M3s, M roadsters, and M coupes.<p>Take your car to the dealer and ask for the cold start fix for your 3.2 liter engine. If they say they don't know what it is, tell them to look up version 16 of the software that they use to update the car's computer.<p>I've had the software updated on my M roadster and it drives 100% better upon cold starts now.<p><br>--Alan

Simon
04-12-1999, 05:44 AM
...be updated from the factory?

XTech
04-12-1999, 07:09 AM
</i>

John M Coupe
04-12-1999, 07:30 AM
Alan,<p>I'm scheduled to have the update done on my coupe tomorrow (hopefully)...have you noticed any other changes in engine performance since you had the update applied?<p>Just curious,<br>--John

Bruce
04-12-1999, 09:03 AM
<i>: If what you are describing is a bit of a rough idle upon cold startup, or a tendency for the RPMs to actually drop slightly when you step lightly on the gas when the engine is first started cold, then you are describing a very common problem with M3s, M roadsters, and M coupes.<p>: Take your car to the dealer and ask for the cold start fix for your 3.2 liter engine. If they say they don't know what it is, tell them to look up version 16 of the software that they use to update the car's computer.<p>: I've had the software updated on my M roadster and it drives 100% better upon cold starts now.<br></i><p>I had mine fixed last Friday (BTW- no changes in performance and I did take the car to the track this weekend). <a href="http://www.bmwmpower.com/ServBull/tsb12029.htm">This is the TSB</a> for this complaint BUT if you read under "Correction" it says in bold letter that this fix does not completely address hesitation/poor throttle response. The difference? The fix will address this situation- You start the car, giving NO gas the car will shake (ie rough idle). The situation it will NOT address is this: You start the car, give it a bit of gas and the rpms DROP (you have to give it a bit more gas than ususal). <p>Hope this helps,<br>Bruce<p>

Alan
04-12-1999, 09:29 AM
<i>: I had mine fixed last Friday (BTW- no changes in performance and I did take the car to the track this weekend). <a href="http://www.bmwmpower.com/ServBull/tsb12029.htm">This is the TSB</a> for this complaint BUT if you read under "Correction" it says in bold letter that this fix does not completely address hesitation/poor throttle response. The difference? The fix will address this situation- You start the car, giving NO gas the car will shake (ie rough idle). The situation it will NOT address is this: You start the car, give it a bit of gas and the rpms DROP (you have to give it a bit more gas than ususal).</i><p><br>Actually it did address that second situation in my car. Whatever changes the fix made to the mixture completely eliminated the tendency my car had to want to stall when I stepped on the gas after first starting it.<p><br>--Alan

XTech
04-12-1999, 01:15 PM
</i><br>poor throttle response. There was no change in performance that I could detect. That said, butt-dynos are not very accurate. <p>XTech 98 MZ3 Imola Red II/Blk/Blk

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index