Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Bill
04-12-1999, 02:13 PM
When cornering hard and fast (like through a sustained curve)the traction control light flickers on and off. Without the Traction Control engaged, would the car spin out? <p>Thanks<br>Imola ///M

DMM
04-12-1999, 03:52 PM
I was at a safety driving school recently put together by the Windy City Chapter. One of the exercises was going around a circle of cones (skidpad exercise). With the traction control off, I found it very difficult to get the car to oversteer - and the ground was wet as it was raining. There was modest understeer but easily countered. The car handles very well! I was almost guilty taking the car to the School as we drove it pretty hard, but it was fun and informative to see what it could really do! I suggest going to driving school to find out for yourself!<p>DMM<p><i>: When cornering hard and fast (like through a sustained curve)the traction control light flickers on and off. Without the Traction Control engaged, would the car spin out? <p>: Thanks<br>: Imola ///M<p></i>

CoupeDude
04-12-1999, 04:11 PM
I'm certainly no expert on this subject and would actually like to <a href = "http://www.bimmer.org/z3coupe/messages/messages/128.html"> know more myself </a>.<p>But in answer to your question, I would say that the answer is maybye. I mean, when the traction control is active I don't think it means you would spin without it, but certainly perhaps you might, that is the purpose of the traction control, to keep you going in the direction of where you want to go. (On the BMW USA site they used the computer term WYSIWYG for describing traction control technologies, but their meaning is "Where you steer is where you go", rather then "What you see is what you get.")<p>I don't usually notice the light flicker on sustained sweepers, but usually tight corners.<p>Also, as was discussed on the Z3 board, the traction control can be activated and not flicker the light if it uses just brakes. The flickering light means that torque is being reduced, but the system is able to do both torque reduction and braking.<p><i>: When cornering hard and fast (like through a sustained curve)the traction control light flickers on and off. Without the Traction Control engaged, would the car spin out? <p>: Thanks<br>: Imola ///M<p></i>

Jim
04-13-1999, 09:03 AM
DMM, was that you at Midwest Motorsports Saturday with the Imola M Coupe?<p>Jim

DMM
04-13-1999, 12:36 PM
<i>Nope - I wonder how many other Coupes there are in the Chi-town area though.<p>: DMM, was that you at Midwest Motorsports Saturday with the Imola M Coupe?<p>: Jim<p><br></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index