Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

CoupeDude
04-15-1999, 07:16 PM
At about 110, sometimes the wind will cause a whistle sound. It sounds like it is comeing from around the sunroof area, but I can't tell for sure. Anybody else experience this?

Mr M Coupe
04-16-1999, 03:29 AM
I do experience the same noisy whistling sound, and I guess that it comes from the passenger side...somwhere??!!

DMM
04-16-1999, 07:56 AM
Me too, I posted about this last week, but nobody responded. It whistled when I was going around 95 or so, it was windy out, and a truck passed me going the other way to create greater wind currents.<p>Maybe we should all write a letter to BMW NA? Maybe a joint letter would be more effective? What do you think?<p>DMM<p><i>: At about 110, sometimes the wind will cause a whistle sound. It sounds like it is comeing from around the sunroof area, but I can't tell for sure. Anybody else experience this?<p></i>

CoupeDude
04-16-1999, 09:36 AM
I'm for that. How should we do it? Where was your post on this? Here?<p><i>: Me too, I posted about this last week, but nobody responded. It whistled when I was going around 95 or so, it was windy out, and a truck passed me going the other way to create greater wind currents.<p>: Maybe we should all write a letter to BMW NA? Maybe a joint letter would be more effective? What do you think?<p>: DMM<p>: : At about 110, sometimes the wind will cause a whistle sound. It sounds like it is comeing from around the sunroof area, but I can't tell for sure. Anybody else experience this?<p></i>

DMM
04-16-1999, 12:13 PM
Mine does also. I noticed it when I was driving around 95mph on a very windy day last week and a truck passed me (going the other way) to create even more wind turbulance.<p>Maybe we should all write a letter to BMWNA so they be made aware of it. <p>BTW, I've driven over 100mph on a non-windy day and it didn't happen.<p><i>: At about 110, sometimes the wind will cause a whistle sound. It sounds like it is comeing from around the sunroof area, but I can't tell for sure. Anybody else experience this?<p></i>

CoupeDude
04-16-1999, 02:39 PM
<i>: Mine does also. I noticed it when I was driving around 95mph on a very windy day last week and a truck passed me (going the other way) to create even more wind turbulance.<p>: Maybe we should all write a letter to BMWNA so they be made aware of it. <p>: BTW, I've driven over 100mph on a non-windy day and it didn't happen.<p>: : At about 110, sometimes the wind will cause a whistle sound. It sounds like it is comeing from around the sunroof area, but I can't tell for sure. Anybody else experience this?<p></i>

a concerned friend
04-17-1999, 10:58 AM
<i>: At about 110, sometimes the wind will cause a whistle sound. It sounds like it is comeing from around the sunroof area, but I can't tell for sure. Anybody else experience this?<p></i>

CoupeDude
04-17-1999, 12:30 PM
Your answer is a bit too simple. You must understand the situation. Going 110 through a school zone downtown in the city is one thing.<p>This was on GA 400 (a long wide and straight freeway), in extremely light traffic on a clear dry sunny afternoon. And it was for a very brief time. If you think that is dangereous, perhaps you should trade in your BMW on a Lexus.<p>Safety is a central issue whenever I drive. When I am driving I am always thinking safety (sure I've been in situations where I have made a poor choice, but this is the exception, my previous post refering to my mountain trip being about the worst I have ever done). I have never caused an accident, and am quite capable at avoiding accidents that would be caused by others.<p>As a matter of fact the only accident I have been in (in ten years of driving), was getting rear ended at a stop light, on a multilane road, surrounded by cars on all sides, and I could hardly avoid that.<p>There is a difference between being legal and being safe. I appreciate that you beleive you are being concerned, but knowledge and competence are much more important then driving slow when it comes to safety. These simple rules of "fast is dangereous" is a crap, designed for the incompetent masses who are generally too stupid to attempt to understand the more complex issues of driving, safety and responsibility.<p>That being said, this was the fastest I have ever taken my Coupe. I am fully aware of the lethality of automobiles. Everytime we get in our cars, we know there is a chance something bad can happen. I am always thinking about this, I can assure you there are plenty of drivers that you would consider safe out there who do not.<p>I am also a private pilot, and I apply the level of responsibility required for safely conducting a flight to driving. I bought a BMW because I find it a thrill to drive, it is for fun, but safety always comes first, as is supported by my driving record. How does yours compare?<p><i>: : At about 110, sometimes the wind will cause a whistle sound. It sounds like it is comeing from around the sunroof area, but I can't tell for sure. Anybody else experience this?<p></i>

J.D.
04-17-1999, 06:33 PM
<i>:<br></i><p>Well said CoupeDude (Anthony?). I've always believed that a competent driver (one who's attended a high performance driving school and is uses common sense) going 100 mph is safer than a bad driver going 10 mph under the speed limit.<p>People often confuse drivers like you, CoupeDude, for those nimrods who feel that's necasarry to peel out at ever stoplight (rule 1: only peel out at intersections where no one is around), go 50 mph down side streets (rule 2: <b>NEVER</i> speed down side streets, kids might be playing), and drivers who believe that just becuase they have snow tires, all-wheel-drive, traction control, and anti-lock, that they can driver "normally" on snow covered roads.<p>I recall an editoral by C. Van Tune in a recent Motor Trend. He stated the differences between a "Carefull" driver and a "Prescision" driver. The carefull drivers are the ones who go 10 mph under the speed limit if there is a rain cloud within a 5 state radius. They're also the ones who slam on their brakes instead of swerving. Of course, those "Carefull" drivers won't swerve, that would mean that they are making a turn above 5 mph!!<p>A "Precision" driver would make a well executed lane change--knowing that they are well within the limits of thier car's handling. A precision driver will only slow down to below the speed limit if conditions call for it. It really irratates me when the person in front of me is going 30 mph, even though they've passed 4 45 mph signs.<p>J.D.

J.D.
04-17-1999, 06:34 PM
<i>:<br></i><p>Well said CoupeDude (Anthony?). I've always believed that a competent driver (one who's attended a high performance driving school and is uses common sense) going 100 mph is safer than a bad driver going 10 mph under the speed limit.<p>People often confuse drivers like you, CoupeDude, for those nimrods who feel that's necasarry to peel out at ever stoplight (rule 1: only peel out at intersections where no one is around), go 50 mph down side streets (rule 2: <b>NEVER</b> speed down side streets, kids might be playing), and drivers who believe that just becuase they have snow tires, all-wheel-drive, traction control, and anti-lock, that they can driver "normally" on snow covered roads.<p>I recall an editoral by C. Van Tune in a recent Motor Trend. He stated the differences between a "Carefull" driver and a "Prescision" driver. The carefull drivers are the ones who go 10 mph under the speed limit if there is a rain cloud within a 5 state radius. They're also the ones who slam on their brakes instead of swerving. Of course, those "Carefull" drivers won't swerve, that would mean that they are making a turn above 5 mph!!<p>A "Precision" driver would make a well executed lane change--knowing that they are well within the limits of thier car's handling. A precision driver will only slow down to below the speed limit if conditions call for it. It really irratates me when the person in front of me is going 30 mph, even though they've passed 4 45 mph signs.<p>J.D.

Doug
04-17-1999, 07:54 PM
Good response, Dude. A related article was in the 3/22/99 issue of "AutoWeek" magazine entitled "Put the pedal to the metal for safety". For any auto enthusiast this was excellent reading. (I scanned the article, but do not have a web site or URL for you to view it.) It's worth a trip to the library, or if a buddy subscribes to AutoWeek, have him dig this issue out. You'll enjoy ... Take care.

he
04-18-1999, 02:25 PM
<i>: At about 110, sometimes the wind will cause a whistle sound. It sounds like it is comeing from around the sunroof area, but I can't tell for sure. Anybody else experience this?<p></i>Dude trade your car in on something slower like a Geo Metro and live a few more years. All that testosterone is making the brain go soft.

DMM
04-19-1999, 07:39 AM
<br>Sorry about my original message showing up twice - didn't see it for a while after I posted it so I posted it again. I think it was on the Z3 page. <p>How should we do it? Maybe one of us can write up a letter, send it around to anyone that wants to be involved for approval and then sign it with everyone's name and car VIN #? We can then email it to BMW through their homepage. I'll write something up this week sometime and post here for comments/suggestions? <p>How does that sound?<p>Regards,<br>DMM<br>'99 M-Coupe<br>black^3<p><br><i>: I'm for that. How should we do it? Where was your post on this? Here?<p>: : Me too, I posted about this last week, but nobody responded. It whistled when I was going around 95 or so, it was windy out, and a truck passed me going the other way to create greater wind currents.<p>: : Maybe we should all write a letter to BMW NA? Maybe a joint letter would be more effective? What do you think?<p>: : DMM<p>: : : At about 110, sometimes the wind will cause a whistle sound. It sounds like it is comeing from around the sunroof area, but I can't tell for sure. Anybody else experience this?<p></i>

CoupeDude
04-19-1999, 09:19 AM
That would be great. There doesn't seem to be a huge amount of interest but we can see once you post it.<p>A friend was telling me that he thought it was air moving around the antena, as he had this happen on another car. Perhaps I'll experiment with removing the antena and seeing what happens.<p><i>: <br>: Sorry about my original message showing up twice - didn't see it for a while after I posted it so I posted it again. I think it was on the Z3 page. <p>: How should we do it? Maybe one of us can write up a letter, send it around to anyone that wants to be involved for approval and then sign it with everyone's name and car VIN #? We can then email it to BMW through their homepage. I'll write something up this week sometime and post here for comments/suggestions? <p>: How does that sound?<p>: Regards,<br>: DMM<br>: '99 M-Coupe<br>: black^3<p>: <br>: : I'm for that. How should we do it? Where was your post on this? Here?<p>: : : Me too, I posted about this last week, but nobody responded. It whistled when I was going around 95 or so, it was windy out, and a truck passed me going the other way to create greater wind currents.<p>: : : Maybe we should all write a letter to BMW NA? Maybe a joint letter would be more effective? What do you think?<p>: : : DMM<p>: : : : At about 110, sometimes the wind will cause a whistle sound. It sounds like it is comeing from around the sunroof area, but I can't tell for sure. Anybody else experience this?<p></i>

CoupeDude
04-19-1999, 10:07 AM
First of all, all of our brains are soft. It is a mass of soft gray tissue that contains all of your passion and fury simply as electro-chemicals. I remember in elementary school some psycho teacher brought a piece of a human brain to class.<p>As an even more distastefull side, in a college philosophy class, when debating abortion a very advanced fetus in a jar was brought in, although I wasn't in the class.<p>On the speed issue, look at my response in this thread, it should fit nicely here, but I don't have time to enlighten everyone individually. You too can drive fast and safe through the power of knowledge and skill!! You must follow my teachings and spread the good word.<p>Follow the narrow and twisty path of enlightenment and you too may know automotive nirvana. Just keep your speed up so as to not get rear ended by the pickup truck of ignorance. Peace out.<p><i>: : At about 110, sometimes the wind will cause a whistle sound. It sounds like it is comeing from around the sunroof area, but I can't tell for sure. Anybody else experience this?<p>: Dude trade your car in on something slower like a Geo Metro and live a few more years. All that testosterone is making the brain go soft.<p></i>

he
04-19-1999, 02:37 PM
<i>: First of all, all of our brains are soft. It is a mass of soft gray tissue that contains all of your passion and fury simply as electro-chemicals. I remember in elementary school some psycho teacher brought a piece of a human brain to class.<p>: As an even more distastefull side, in a college philosophy class, when debating abortion a very advanced fetus in a jar was brought in, although I wasn't in the class.<p>: On the speed issue, look at my response in this thread, it should fit nicely here, but I don't have time to enlighten everyone individually. You too can drive fast and safe through the power of knowledge and skill!! You must follow my teachings and spread the good word.<p>: Follow the narrow and twisty path of enlightenment and you too may know automotive nirvana. Just keep your speed up so as to not get rear ended by the pickup truck of ignorance. Peace out.<p>: : : At about 110, sometimes the wind will cause a whistle sound. It sounds like it is comeing from around the sunroof area, but I can't tell for sure. Anybody else experience this?<p>: : Dude trade your car in on something slower like a Geo Metro and live a few more years. All that testosterone is making the brain go soft.<p></i>Those fancy words should be put in a book to enlighten us common folk about the power of "the narrow and twisty" so we can attain true "automotive nirvana." My head spins just thinking of this new "path of enlightenment."

CoupeDude
04-19-1999, 04:10 PM
<i>: : First of all, all of our brains are soft. It is a mass of soft gray tissue that contains all of your passion and fury simply as electro-chemicals. I remember in elementary school some psycho teacher brought a piece of a human brain to class.<p>: : As an even more distastefull side, in a college philosophy class, when debating abortion a very advanced fetus in a jar was brought in, although I wasn't in the class.<p>: : On the speed issue, look at my response in this thread, it should fit nicely here, but I don't have time to enlighten everyone individually. You too can drive fast and safe through the power of knowledge and skill!! You must follow my teachings and spread the good word.<p>: : Follow the narrow and twisty path of enlightenment and you too may know automotive nirvana. Just keep your speed up so as to not get rear ended by the pickup truck of ignorance. Peace out.<p>: : : : At about 110, sometimes the wind will cause a whistle sound. It sounds like it is comeing from around the sunroof area, but I can't tell for sure. Anybody else experience this?<p>: : : Dude trade your car in on something slower like a Geo Metro and live a few more years. All that testosterone is making the brain go soft.<p>: Those fancy words should be put in a book to enlighten us common folk about the power of "the narrow and twisty" so we can attain true "automotive nirvana." My head spins just thinking of this new "path of enlightenment."<p></i>

he
04-19-1999, 07:18 PM
<i>: : : First of all, all of our brains are soft. It is a mass of soft gray tissue that contains all of your passion and fury simply as electro-chemicals. I remember in elementary school some psycho teacher brought a piece of a human brain to class.<p>: : : As an even more distastefull side, in a college philosophy class, when debating abortion a very advanced fetus in a jar was brought in, although I wasn't in the class.<p>: : : On the speed issue, look at my response in this thread, it should fit nicely here, but I don't have time to enlighten everyone individually. You too can drive fast and safe through the power of knowledge and skill!! You must follow my teachings and spread the good word.<p>: : : Follow the narrow and twisty path of enlightenment and you too may know automotive nirvana. Just keep your speed up so as to not get rear ended by the pickup truck of ignorance. Peace out.<p>: : : : : At about 110, sometimes the wind will cause a whistle sound. It sounds like it is comeing from around the sunroof area, but I can't tell for sure. Anybody else experience this?<p>: : : : Dude trade your car in on something slower like a Geo Metro and live a few more years. All that testosterone is making the brain go soft.<p>: : Those fancy words should be put in a book to enlighten us common folk about the power of "the narrow and twisty" so we can attain true "automotive nirvana." My head spins just thinking of this new "path of enlightenment."<p></i>a cult with robes and laser swords. Opps, that movie is coming out shortly making someone very rich.

costasz
04-19-1999, 09:14 PM
Road or Track, doesn't matter.<br>Just curious.<br>I 've on occasion hit 135-140 ( Can't tell for <br>sure, I was concentrating on the driving part ),<br>On a mostly empty straight stretch ( 5 miles ) of 4-lane high-quality asphalt highway, in my DSM. Would have gone faster but I am not that brave.<br>I recently test-drove a Dinan modified M-Coupe and I was wondering how the M-Coupe behaves at such speeds. My DSM was as stable as they get, but the brakes disappointed me. At the end of the straightaway, I started decelerating and it took forever to get down to 60. I am currently considering other cars such as the upcoming Audi S4 ( the wife drives a 2.8 A4 and it's nice ) or an M-Coupe.<p>

CoupeDude
04-20-1999, 01:44 PM
<i>: Road or Track, doesn't matter.<br>: Just curious.<br>: I 've on occasion hit 135-140 ( Can't tell for <br>: sure, I was concentrating on the driving part ),<br>: On a mostly empty straight stretch ( 5 miles ) of 4-lane high-quality asphalt highway, in my DSM. Would have gone faster but I am not that brave.<br>: I recently test-drove a Dinan modified M-Coupe and I was wondering how the M-Coupe behaves at such speeds. My DSM was as stable as they get, but the brakes disappointed me. At the end of the straightaway, I started decelerating and it took forever to get down to 60. I am currently considering other cars such as the upcoming Audi S4 ( the wife drives a 2.8 A4 and it's nice ) or an M-Coupe.<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index