Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Ken
04-28-1999, 09:45 PM
to u racers out there, at what rpm do u usually launch ur m?<br>also, what's ur shift point? since peak torque is at 3800 rpm, should u shift way before redline, say at about 5000?

TurboBMW
04-28-1999, 11:57 PM
<br>: to u racers out there, at what rpm do u usually launch ur m?<br>: also, what's ur shift point? since peak torque is at 3800 rpm, should u shift way before redline, say at about 5000? <p>it really depends on what you have done with your M (performance mods) On my car i usually launch around 5200rpm on slicks..but i dont remember on how much i launched on street tires. I think (don't quote me on this) it was around 3000- to launch...and slip the clutch alittle as you launch..cause if you just "pop" the clutch..you will definately get wheel spin..and that will hurt your 60ft and your E.T. ... the shift point on my turbo is around 6000 ... but just remember that just cause your peak torque or horsepower is at a certain range...doesnt mean you shift at those points...cause as soon as you shift...the rpm will drop drastically, and you will lose the correct rpm range...or unless you "power shift" will be a better way... but i dont recommend doing that. Im sorry i couldnt have been much more of a help...but let me know exactly what you have done to your car..and i will give you a better answer...thank you...good luck<br>

Ken
04-29-1999, 12:18 AM
thanks for the info. i have a stock m-coupe, nothing done to it.

Curious
04-30-1999, 05:07 AM
<i>: <br>: : to u racers out there, at what rpm do u usually launch ur m?<br>: : also, what's ur shift point? since peak torque is at 3800 rpm, should u shift way before redline, say at about 5000? <p>: it really depends on what you have done with your M (performance mods) On my car i usually launch around 5200rpm on slicks..but i dont remember on how much i launched on street tires. I think (don't quote me on this) it was around 3000- to launch...and slip the clutch alittle as you launch..cause if you just "pop" the clutch..you will definately get wheel spin..and that will hurt your 60ft and your E.T. ... the shift point on my turbo is around 6000 ... but just remember that just cause your peak torque or horsepower is at a certain range...doesnt mean you shift at those points...cause as soon as you shift...the rpm will drop drastically, and you will lose the correct rpm range...or unless you "power shift" will be a better way... but i dont recommend doing that. Im sorry i couldnt have been much more of a help...but let me know exactly what you have done to your car..and i will give you a better answer...thank you...good luck<p></i>

Doug
04-30-1999, 10:51 AM
"Power-shifting" is shifting without letting your foot off the gas, while >>still<< using the clutch (unless it's a drag bike, where you just pop the air-shifter w/o clutch). Obviously, your synchros must be good ... as well as the clutch, itself. This is one of the hardest things you can do to a clutch, since you will (depending on how quick you can move that lever!) momentarily have an unloaded engine slamming its revs against the clutch disc. If done right, you'd almost think the car was an automatic. There's a local Seattle drag racer that runs a low-10 '67 or '68 wheel-standing Camaro. He keeps the wheels off the ground half way thru 3rd gear as he power-shifts his 5-speed ... He's a real crowd pleaser!

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index