Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Montie
05-04-1999, 08:09 PM
I'm trying to find some shocks to stiffen my suspension up a tad for autocrossing. I've been told the H&R springs work, but I can't find shocks to match. Any suggestions?

Bruce
05-04-1999, 09:21 PM
<i>: I'm trying to find some shocks to stiffen my suspension up a tad for autocrossing. I've been told the H&R springs work, but I can't find shocks to match. Any suggestions?</i><p>be careful changing the shocks bump you out of stock class if that is important to you...i Know Mark Sipe was putting in Koni's in his coupe, he got them in and had to take them out to get them revalved...either him or Josh Sirota are the 2 experts that post here

ken
05-04-1999, 10:23 PM
<if you really want to change your suspension, i think you could combo H&R with bilstien shock. tell me the result, what ever you do!! thanks

Josh S
05-04-1999, 10:32 PM
<i>: : I'm trying to find some shocks to stiffen my suspension up a tad for autocrossing. I've been told the H&R springs work, but I can't find shocks to match. Any suggestions?<p>: be careful changing the shocks bump you out of stock class if that is important to you...<br></i><p>Actually, changing the shocks is legal in SCCA Stock, but changing the springs isn't.<p>And you definitely need to change the shocks to be competitive. Konis are the only ones I know of, and they are expensive. The rears are not externally adjustable, although you can have them altered for lots of money (and even then, there's no legal way to get to the adjuster on the top of the shock).<p>I haven't done shocks on my car, only because I didn't buy it to be an autocrosser. But I've autocrossed it a number of times now, and it is very clear that it needs shocks to be competitive.<p>Mark can tell you more about the actual experience of changing the shocks in his 2.8. I'm just retelling what I've been told.<p>Josh

M Sipe
05-05-1999, 09:20 AM
Both the front and rear are different between the 2.8 coupe and the M coupe.<p>The M roadster/coupe front struts are the same as the E36 M3. The rear shocks are unique to the M roadster/coupe. Koni was close to releasing the rear shocks 6 months ago, may be out by now.<p>The 2.8 roadster/coupe struts & shocks are available from Koni.<p>The rear shocks are internally-adjustable, the compress&turn style, which means removing them to adjust. They can be converted to externally adjustable, knob at top, but it's not cheap. The only legal means to access them for adjustment per the SCCA Stock class rules is to have an access port above them for some other purpose; i.e. a small set of tweeter speakers, etc. Wierd, but true.

Bruce
05-05-1999, 10:15 AM
<i>: : be careful changing the shocks bump you out of stock class if that is important to you...<p>: Actually, changing the shocks is legal in SCCA Stock, but changing the springs isn't.</i><p>glad you caught that...i knew the shocks were ok to change and the springs are not, i just typed it wrong :) guess i should proof read :)

Montie
05-05-1999, 07:28 PM
<i>: Both the front and rear are different between the 2.8 coupe and the M coupe.<p>: The M roadster/coupe front struts are the same as the E36 M3. The rear shocks are unique to the M roadster/coupe. Koni was close to releasing the rear shocks 6 months ago, may be out by now.<p>: The 2.8 roadster/coupe struts & shocks are available from Koni.<p>: The rear shocks are internally-adjustable, the compress&turn style, which means removing them to adjust. They can be converted to externally adjustable, knob at top, but it's not cheap. The only legal means to access them for adjustment per the SCCA Stock class rules is to have an access port above them for some other purpose; i.e. a small set of tweeter speakers, etc. Wierd, but true.<p></i>

M Sipe
05-06-1999, 10:37 AM
Call David Frye @ SF Motorsports<p>336-996-4080<p>Very good price and service.

M Sipe
05-06-1999, 02:20 PM
According to Koni it has been confirmed that the 2.8 and MZ3 rear shocks are equivalent. This now means that struts and shocks are available from Koni for the entire Z3 family.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index