Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

blue-rocket
05-08-1999, 09:47 PM
i have just got my m-coupe three days ago. man... everything is GOOD, i love this baby. there is only one small problem. when i switch off the air con(to position 0)there is still air coming in from the vents. the faster i drive the faster the air rushes in. are they all like that, or is it a PROBLEM!! thanks for any input!! love this board!

dp
05-08-1999, 10:31 PM
i'm assuming you are talking about the ventilation fan switch (the ac is an on-off button low on the console, the one with snowflake on it). turning off the fan does not close the vents - the vents can be closed individually by turning the thumbwheel in the middle of each vent to the '0' position.<p><i>: i have just got my m-coupe three days ago. man... everything is GOOD, i love this baby. there is only one small problem. when i switch off the air con(to position 0)there is still air coming in from the vents. the faster i drive the faster the air rushes in. are they all like that, or is it a PROBLEM!! thanks for any input!! love this board!<p></i>

blue-rocket
05-09-1999, 03:07 PM
<yes, i am talking about the ventilation switch. when i turn it to the 0 position, there should be no air comingin from the vents at all. however, my still does, and the faster i drive, the faster the air rushes in. and when i close all the vent thumb switch , all the air is forced to come out from the wind shield vent. in another word, there is consitent air comeing in to the cabin. it is not suppose to do that, any thoughts??????

dp
05-09-1999, 03:26 PM
this is normal as far as i know. the fan is there to increase airflow if you want it, but it does nothing to block air coming in. if you want no air at all, try hitting the recirculation switch (the one with arrow going in a circle). this is useful if you are stuck behind a diesel or a cattle transport.... i wouldn't recommend driving that way all the time, though, since a bit of the exhaust tends to get in around the hatch due to car's shape.<p><p><i>: <yes, i am talking about the ventilation switch. when i turn it to the 0 position, there should be no air comingin from the vents at all. however, my still does, and the faster i drive, the faster the air rushes in. and when i close all the vent thumb switch , all the air is forced to come out from the wind shield vent. in another word, there is consitent air comeing in to the cabin. it is not suppose to do that, any thoughts??????<p></i>

CoupeDude
05-10-1999, 07:55 AM
Yes it is normal, but what gets me is that even with the recirculation button on, air still blow through?<p><i>: this is normal as far as i know. the fan is there to increase airflow if you want it, but it does nothing to block air coming in. if you want no air at all, try hitting the recirculation switch (the one with arrow going in a circle). this is useful if you are stuck behind a diesel or a cattle transport.... i wouldn't recommend driving that way all the time, though, since a bit of the exhaust tends to get in around the hatch due to car's shape.<p><br>: : <yes, i am talking about the ventilation switch. when i turn it to the 0 position, there should be no air comingin from the vents at all. however, my still does, and the faster i drive, the faster the air rushes in. and when i close all the vent thumb switch , all the air is forced to come out from the wind shield vent. in another word, there is consitent air comeing in to the cabin. it is not suppose to do that, any thoughts??????<p></i>

ken
05-10-1999, 08:28 AM
i realize that m-coupe does that.(air comes through from the vent even with the system off)however, it is the only bmw that does that. my brother's 540 will cut off air circulation completely when you turn the air con/fan off. i think there is a actual gate that mechenically closes when everything is shot off. the gate is located in the fire wall ,where the micro-filters under the hood connects to the air duct in the cabin. my point is that , i don't think a car's circulation system is suppose to do that!!btw, don't you guys find it rather annoying????

dp
05-10-1999, 10:23 AM
more concerned with limits of traction and threading my way through the moving obstacle course that is known to drivers of less entertaining machinery as 'traffic' :)<p><p><i>: i realize that m-coupe does that.(air comes through from the vent even with the system off)however, it is the only bmw that does that. my brother's 540 will cut off air circulation completely when you turn the air con/fan off. i think there is a actual gate that mechenically closes when everything is shot off. the gate is located in the fire wall ,where the micro-filters under the hood connects to the air duct in the cabin. my point is that , i don't think a car's circulation system is suppose to do that!!btw, don't you guys find it rather annoying????<p></i>

CoupeDude
05-10-1999, 06:09 PM
With recirculate on and the fan off, there <i>should</i> be no air.<p>Yea, I do find it annoying, but it's a very minor gripe. You can still manually shut them off, or direct it at the feet.<p>I'm glad though, that the car doesn't have the enviromental controls as the 540s or other bimmers. Seems a bit overly complicated.<p>Even in the new Z3s, apparently it is not like a traidional hot-cold switch, but it works like a thermostat? Simplicity please!<p><br><i>: i realize that m-coupe does that.(air comes through from the vent even with the system off)however, it is the only bmw that does that. my brother's 540 will cut off air circulation completely when you turn the air con/fan off. i think there is a actual gate that mechenically closes when everything is shot off. the gate is located in the fire wall ,where the micro-filters under the hood connects to the air duct in the cabin. my point is that , i don't think a car's circulation system is suppose to do that!!btw, don't you guys find it rather annoying????<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index