Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Wild Wally
05-15-1999, 03:22 PM
I think I am falling in love with the Mcoupe! My heart skips a beat when I see one, but I still have some concerns about actually going out and buying one. Here they are:<p>Will people constantly tell me how ugly my car is? When I first saw this car, I thought it was hideous.<p>Does the car rattle?<p>Can the car handle in foul weather (New York)?<p>Is there a down side to this car that I have not even thought about?<p>What do you think?<p>

costasz
05-15-1999, 04:13 PM
Buy it. It's awesome.<p>All the people who saw pictures of it told it was butt ugly. After they saw mine in person, they were awed. I heard so many woos and ahhhs and wows , I lost count.<p>The car is not as solid as my wife's A4 but it's solid enough for a 2-seater sports car.<p>I live in CT. I'll deal with the weather when the winter gets here.

Jeff360
05-15-1999, 04:31 PM
Wally -<p>Is the issue with the body or the interior?<br>I find that people really grow to love the body shape. What some find a little too much are some of the interior color schemes. Some of the bright colors on the console, steering wheel, etc. mixed with the chrome can be jarring to the senses. <br>I prefer a conservative black/black or black/gray interior. None of these were available anytime soon in my area with the exterior colors I wanted, so to meet my need for immediate gratification, I ordered a Boston Green 2.8 coupe with aluminum trim and the beige interior. The combination is very classy looking. I am not on the race track so I most of the time I don't feel like I missed out on too much (but then sometimes I wish I had an M just to know that the extra power is there even if I do not use it). But as to the body style, I get people driving around me car in parking lots to gawk appreciatively at it. Today a guy in a convertible M3 slowed to say "hey...baaaadass ride!" I don't see myself coming and going. People want to check the car out when I pass them on the highway. It is all worth it. I recommend buying it......<p><p><i>: I think I am falling in love with the Mcoupe! My heart skips a beat when I see one, but I still have some concerns about actually going out and buying one. Here they are:<p>: Will people constantly tell me how ugly my car is? When I first saw this car, I thought it was hideous.<p>: Does the car rattle?<p>: Can the car handle in foul weather (New York)?<p>: Is there a down side to this car that I have not even thought about?<p>: What do you think?<p></i>

coupe owner
05-15-1999, 08:10 PM
<i>: I think I am falling in love with the Mcoupe! My heart skips a beat when I see one, but I still have some concerns about actually going out and buying one. Here they are:<p>: Will people constantly tell me how ugly my car is? When I first saw this car, I thought it was hideous.<p>if you care what people say, bye a mini van<p>: Does the car rattle?<br>no<br>: Can the car handle in foul weather (New York)?<p>: Is there a down side to this car that I have not even thought about?<p>: What do you think?<p></i>

Wild Wally
05-15-1999, 09:03 PM
<i>: : I think I am falling in love with the Mcoupe! My heart skips a beat when I see one, but I still have some concerns about actually going out and buying one. Here they are:<p>: : Will people constantly tell me how ugly my car is? When I first saw this car, I thought it was hideous.<p>: if you care what people say, bye a mini van<p>: : Does the car rattle?<br>: no<br>: : Can the car handle in foul weather (New York)?<p>: : Is there a down side to this car that I have not even thought about?<p>: : What do you think?<p></i>

dp
05-15-1999, 11:01 PM
yeah, it has quirks. it is not practical - don't let the hatch fool you. can't carry much with it, not even a spare tire. can't see around the rear view mirror. no alarm/keyless entry/computer... stereo is lame - just as well (the engine sounds great!) the coupe will deal with snow but won't like it (winter tires might help, but you'll need a different set of wheels too). mine had a number of rattles, but the last of them was finally fixed last week (all in the interior trim and wiring). <p>but this car has a personality - and a soul. and it's A BLAST! i love driving it. and that's the only rationalization i need. if you require a more logical reason than that (and only you know if you do) - then the car is probably not for you.<p>as for other people's opinions of the car, i've actually only had VERY positive responses - but maybe i just talk to non-average people... and the first curve i took with my first passenger resulted in a bewildered "oh my god"...<p><p><i>: I think I am falling in love with the Mcoupe! My heart skips a beat when I see one, but I still have some concerns about actually going out and buying one. Here they are:<p>: Will people constantly tell me how ugly my car is? When I first saw this car, I thought it was hideous.<p>: Does the car rattle?<p>: Can the car handle in foul weather (New York)?<p>: Is there a down side to this car that I have not even thought about?<p>: What do you think?<p></i>

JG
05-16-1999, 10:25 AM
1. 1998 New York Auto Show- they had an Estoril Blue Mcoupe there- I hated it, no other comments to be made.<p>2. Some months later they came out, I still hated it.<p>3.Few months later my friend bought one, drove it- loved driving it- still didn't like the looks.<p>4. Bought a 99 Corvette, over the 8 months I had it- I became more interested in the Mcoupe, drove a few more at the dealers (had a 95 M3 before the Vette)- love the car, looks grew on my completely. Everyone I know, either loved it at first site- or hated it like me, but now think its just awesome looking.<p>5. Vette is now gone after 8 months, I'm picking up my Mcoupe next Friday (Red/Red-Black interior)-wacky car, wacky interior.<p>If you have that "I'm not sure if I love it or hate" thing now- its only going to get worse- but your going to start loving it (especially after you drive it)- if you buy something else in this price range, you might regret it after awhile (I was just lucky enough to get out of my lease).

Wild Wally
05-16-1999, 01:19 PM
I can't stop thinking about this car. I have a 99 2.3 now (that I bought), but I am seriously thinging about going for the MCoupe. I am going to test drive one this week and see if this coupe fever will go away. I will probably take a bath on the trade-in, but driving the right car is a priority for me. My big question is:<p>Since there are so many good lease deals on the 2.8 coupe, should I be thinking about this? Is there any comparison?

JG
05-16-1999, 02:25 PM
If you are not a power monger, like myself- You may like the Z3coupe. Its definitely quick (0-60 in 6.8), and it might be a hint more practical than the Mcoupe (higher profile tires, slightly better gas mileage, cheaper insurance, visually more conservative). I would drive both cars, compare prices- not that the Mcoupe has bad leases right now (they are very good actually), especially 99 leftovers- but the Z3coupe definitely has a pricing advantage, cheaper car- plus it appears dealers are discounting them more than the M's.<p>You can't go wrong with either car, it really depends on how fast you want to go.<p>I agree, driving the right vehicle is definitely an important thing- it amazes me how many people just don't care.

JG
05-16-1999, 02:33 PM
Forgot to mention that I have heard about 4 different 0-60 times on the Z3coupe ranging from 6.1-6.8sec, and the Mcoupe 5.1-5.5sec.

MZC
05-17-1999, 12:44 AM
<i>: Forgot to mention that I have heard about 4 different 0-60 times on the Z3coupe ranging from 6.1-6.8sec, and the Mcoupe 5.1-5.5sec.<p></i>

HSV-DAN
05-18-1999, 07:51 PM
Most people that say something really like it or it's quirky-ness. No one (other than my secratary) has anything bad to say (and she's still waiting for a ride). The worst comment heard is "it's cute". ARGH.<p>It rattles around the plastic trim, fixable.<p>It handles the rain very well. Not much frozen in north Alabama.<p>The down side is the rate the miles build up. We take it everywhere. Don't get a low mileage lease! It will cost dearly in the end. (And, it holds eight paper grocery bags perfectly, that's usability!)<br><i>: <p>: Will people constantly tell me how ugly my car is? When I first saw this car, I thought it was hideous.<p>: Does the car rattle?<p>: Can the car handle in foul weather (New York)?<p>: Is there a down side to this car that I have not even thought about?<p>: What do you think?<p></i>

CoupeDude
05-20-1999, 07:45 PM
<i>:still waiting for a ride). The worst comment heard is "it's cute". ARGH.</i><p>Agreed, I get that way too much. Not an obvious negative comment, but I cringed the first time I heard someone say that.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index