Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

costasz
05-18-1999, 01:42 PM
What kind/size of winter tires do/would you use<br>on a 99 M Coupe ?<br>Thanks

dp
05-18-1999, 09:24 PM
the manual specifies 225/45-17 for winter tires front and rear. since this will require different wheels for the rear, might as well get a full set of wheels. i have not seen any true winter tires in that size, only 'all-season'. those are fine in mild winter, but if you have to deal with real snow you might consider something like bridgestone bilzzak in 215/60-16 size on 16x7 rims (offsets may be different front and rear, don't know for sure). yes, it would look a bit geeky. another choice is to buy a $2000 beater for the bad days and park the ///M in a warm, dry garage. in january i got stuck in less than 6" of snow on stock dunlops (had to see how well traction control works, and it does not perform miracles), so they are not a realistic option for the winter.<p><i>: What kind/size of winter tires do/would you use<br>: on a 99 M Coupe ?<br>: Thanks<p></i>

costasz
05-19-1999, 06:00 AM
Was a 95 Talon Tsi AWD. I still have it and I am debating whether I should sell it or not.<br>It's worth around $13K and it goes thru snow like a locomotive so it's a close call. I live in Stamford CT.<p>I used to own a 92 Toyota MR2. 50/50 Weight distribution with rear wheel drive no traction control and it was getting stuck in 3 inches of snow. After I put real snow tires on, it was going places where most FWD and AWD automobiles with regular All seasons could not go.<br>

dp
05-19-1999, 06:53 AM
if you are not particularly short of money or parking space, i'd keep the talon. there are always errands that come up where you can't or don't want to use the coupe. like anything involving more than one passenger, carrying anything more than one duffel bag, or parking in a 'hazardous' environment... just my opinion.<p><i>: Was a 95 Talon Tsi AWD. I still have it and I am debating whether I should sell it or not.<br>: It's worth around $13K and it goes thru snow like a locomotive so it's a close call. I live in Stamford CT.<p>: I used to own a 92 Toyota MR2. 50/50 Weight distribution with rear wheel drive no traction control and it was getting stuck in 3 inches of snow. After I put real snow tires on, it was going places where most FWD and AWD automobiles with regular All seasons could not go.<p></i>

costasz
05-27-1999, 10:59 PM
-

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index