Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

ron both
05-19-1999, 04:45 PM
This car is the best handling car i've ever experienced however so far more time in for dealer service than on the road. Fuel system leaking, gauges inoperable, stick shift broke, shock mounts replaced in rear, and parking break and spring kits in rear replaced. Anyone having similiar problems? love the car but this is insane for a $40,000 car with 3000 miles on it.

dp
05-19-1999, 05:50 PM
a few squeaks and rattles is one thing, but the problems you describe sound pretty severe. i am not an expert on this, but i think many states have 'lemon laws' that require the manufacturer to replace cars that can't be fixed. you might also check with bmw cca for advice. good luck.<p><br><i>: This car is the best handling car i've ever experienced however so far more time in for dealer service than on the road. Fuel system leaking, gauges inoperable, stick shift broke, shock mounts replaced in rear, and parking break and spring kits in rear replaced. Anyone having similiar problems? love the car but this is insane for a $40,000 car with 3000 miles on it.<p></i>

M Sipe
05-19-1999, 06:05 PM
used mostly for autocross racing. Are you sure your dealer isn't just gouging the factory via the warranty? What's the story behind all the replaced parts?

Gerald Bimmer
05-19-1999, 06:22 PM
<i>: This car is the best handling car i've ever experienced however so far more time in for dealer service than on the road. Fuel system leaking, gauges inoperable, stick shift broke, shock mounts replaced in rear, and parking break and spring kits in rear replaced. Anyone having similiar problems? love the car but this is insane for a $40,000 car with 3000 miles on it.<p>So far I have about 1200 miles and the car is perfect.Hope your experience is the exception.Sounds like you should complain to BMW North America and push on them to get you a new car!---GOOD LUCK

Steve
05-19-1999, 10:55 PM
<i>: This car is the best handling car i've ever experienced however so far more time in for dealer service than on the road. Fuel system leaking, gauges inoperable, stick shift broke, shock mounts replaced in rear, and parking break and spring kits in rear replaced. Anyone having similiar problems? love the car but this is insane for a $40,000 car with 3000 miles on it.<p></i>Are you alright? What's the story when the stick shift broke?!?! That's not a safe thing to have happen. If it was me, I would demand a new car. That's alot of problems, so dangerous.<p>Steve<br>Perfectionist

Scott
05-20-1999, 06:19 AM
Check engine light would come on from time to time. Two codes were logged 251 and 79. Turn out to be two items; gas cap was leaking when pressurized and O2 sensor. Both were replaced with a little less than 4000 miles on it. Only problem left is that the lock in the glove box rattles.

ron both
05-20-1999, 01:10 PM
<i>: : This car is the best handling car i've ever experienced however so far more time in for dealer service than on the road. Fuel system leaking, gauges inoperable, stick shift broke, shock mounts replaced in rear, and parking break and spring kits in rear replaced. Anyone having similiar problems? love the car but this is insane for a $40,000 car with 3000 miles on it.<p>: Are you alright? What's the story when the stick shift broke?!?! That's not a safe thing to have happen. If it was me, I would demand a new car. That's alot of problems, so dangerous.<p>: Steve<br>: Perfectionist<p><p></i>

ron both
05-20-1999, 01:12 PM
<i>: : This car is the best handling car i've ever experienced however so far more time in for dealer service than on the road. Fuel system leaking, gauges inoperable, stick shift broke, shock mounts replaced in rear, and parking break and spring kits in rear replaced. Anyone having similiar problems? love the car but this is insane for a $40,000 car with 3000 miles on it.<p>: Are you alright? What's the story when the stick shift broke?!?! That's not a safe thing to have happen. If it was me, I would demand a new car. That's alot of problems, so dangerous.<p>: Steve<br>: Perfectionist<p><br></i>

ron
05-20-1999, 01:29 PM
<i>: : : This car is the best handling car i've ever experienced however so far more time in for dealer service than on the road. Fuel system leaking, gauges inoperable, stick shift broke, shock mounts replaced in rear, and parking break and spring kits in rear replaced. Anyone having similiar problems? love the car but this is insane for a $40,000 car with 3000 miles on it.<p>: : Are you alright? What's the story when the stick shift broke?!?! That's not a safe thing to have happen. If it was me, I would demand a new car. That's alot of problems, so dangerous.<p>: : Steve<br>: : Perfectionist<p><p><p><p><p><p><p>Glad to see most people didn't have similiar problems. I'm scheduling a meeting with a BMW factory rep to return the car. I'm going to stay with this model since my problems seem to be isolated. The stick shift post didn't break the knob popped off during shifting so not that serious, it was replaced. I want to have them take it back since my feeling is more problems will develop as miles are added. Hopefully they will be cooperative hate to get litigation involved. Perhaps they will let me move into the M coupe!<br></i>

CoupeDude
05-20-1999, 04:01 PM
It turned out to be minor in the end, but my car was not driveable for a week. My car wouldn't start on occasion, eventually I correlated it not starting with a hot day.<p>The new BMWs require the clutch to depressed (as you all must know). There was a wire that was wrapped around something and when it got real hot, it would constrict itself and didn't allow for a circuit to be made saying the clutch was engaged.<p>Took a while to diagnose, but easily fixed. I have also had a few glitches with the lights as well, but overall I am pleased.<p>My 1.9 Roadster had a bunch of quirky problems.<p>-Anthony<p><br><i>: used mostly for autocross racing. Are you sure your dealer isn't just gouging the factory via the warranty? What's the story behind all the replaced parts?<p></i>

M Sipe
05-20-1999, 05:44 PM
Quit pulling back so hard. However, if it makes you feel any better I've made mine come off before in the heat of competition during a 1-2 shift, but it was because I was I made it happen, not because of any defect. The knob is designed to snap and off from the factory for replacement purposes.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index