Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

bmv
05-24-1999, 09:03 AM
What comes with this option? How is it different from the "Chrome Trim" option?<p>Thanks,

Alf
05-24-1999, 09:14 AM
The chrome trim package provides chrome rings around the gauges, chrome door pull handles inside, etc.<p>The 'aluminum trim' package car I drove had aluminum-colored trim in the instrument panel where the tach and speedo are located, and the 'aluminum' trim replaced the wood on the center console. Also, a number of the knobs which are typically black are replaced by 'aluminum' colored knobs.<p>IMHO (no flames, please!) the aluminum trim - which, if I recall correctly is just gray plastic - really cheapens the interior. In fact, Car and Driver's recent road test review of a 2.8 Coupe mentioned the plasticky bits that didn't belong in a $38k car. The car I drove was Arctic Silver - the same color as the car pictured in the review. Perhaps they were referring to the 'aluminum' trim.<p>My advice - go with the wood !!

Jeff360
05-24-1999, 04:34 PM
I have the alum trim. I wanted to order the Boston Green car and this was what was in it. However, I do not think this is not the same plastic trim alluded to in Car & Driver. I thought that review was of the plastic alum trim in a 3-series, which truly does look plastic and probably is . The 2.8C console trim appears to really be metal. It scratches and nicks just like metal. The alum gear shift knob is metal, and the light pull and door handles are metal, although maybe not real aluminum.<p>I thought the wood looked very classy, but now the alum trim is growing on me. It is definitely rare compared to the wood. The local dealership guys lined up to look at it, all saying it was cool. I think the gray dash looks really good. <p>Considering that my 2.8 was considered to be one that Spartanburg "loaded" - 17" wheels, heated seats, etc., it was this trim that was part of the "loaded" package, distinguishing it from the usually seen config.<p>However, having said that, I still think the wood looks classy. The alum is racier, but the point is you cannot go wrong either way. <p><p><i>: What comes with this option? How is it different from the "Chrome Trim" option?<p>: Thanks,<p></i>

Gerald Bimmer
05-24-1999, 05:36 PM
i HAVE AN ARTIC SILVER 2.8 WITH THE aLUMINUM TRIM WHICH IS MOST SOPHISTICATED.i THINK IT LOOKS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE PHONEY WOOD TRIM THAT COMES AS STANDARD FARE.tHE PACKAGE INCLUDES AN ALUMINUM /LEATHER GEAR SHIFT KNOB;ALUMINUM COVERING ON THE CONSOLE; ALUMINUM DOOR PULLS, ALUMINUM KNOBS.eVERYONE WHO HAS SEEN MY CAR THINKS IT IS UNUSUALL AND HANDSOME!<br>

Stan
05-25-1999, 07:03 AM
<i>: i HAVE AN ARTIC SILVER 2.8 WITH THE aLUMINUM TRIM WHICH IS MOST SOPHISTICATED.i THINK IT LOOKS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE PHONEY WOOD TRIM THAT COMES AS STANDARD FARE.tHE PACKAGE INCLUDES AN ALUMINUM /LEATHER GEAR SHIFT KNOB;ALUMINUM COVERING ON THE CONSOLE; ALUMINUM DOOR PULLS, ALUMINUM KNOBS.eVERYONE WHO HAS SEEN MY CAR THINKS IT IS UNUSUALL AND HANDSOME!<p><br></i>

Stan
05-25-1999, 07:04 AM
<i>: i HAVE AN ARTIC SILVER 2.8 WITH THE aLUMINUM TRIM WHICH IS MOST SOPHISTICATED.i THINK IT LOOKS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE PHONEY WOOD TRIM THAT COMES AS STANDARD FARE.tHE PACKAGE INCLUDES AN ALUMINUM /LEATHER GEAR SHIFT KNOB;ALUMINUM COVERING ON THE CONSOLE; ALUMINUM DOOR PULLS, ALUMINUM KNOBS.eVERYONE WHO HAS SEEN MY CAR THINKS IT IS UNUSUALL AND HANDSOME!<p></i>

M Sipe
05-25-1999, 05:53 PM
<i>: The chrome trim package provides chrome rings around the gauges, chrome door pull handles inside, etc.<p>: The 'aluminum trim' package car I drove had aluminum-colored trim in the instrument panel where the tach and speedo are located, and the 'aluminum' trim replaced the wood on the center console. Also, a number of the knobs which are typically black are replaced by 'aluminum' colored knobs.<p>: IMHO (no flames, please!) the aluminum trim - which, if I recall correctly is just gray plastic - really cheapens the interior. In fact, Car and Driver's recent road test review of a 2.8 Coupe mentioned the plasticky bits that didn't belong in a $38k car. The car I drove was Arctic Silver - the same color as the car pictured in the review. Perhaps they were referring to the 'aluminum' trim.<p>: My advice - go with the wood !!<p></i>

CoupeDude
05-26-1999, 09:52 AM
I was going to order it site unseen had I ordered and not bought from inventory. I drove a white 328i loaner from the dealer with the aluminum trim, and I didn't like it at all. I mean it wasn't awful, but I think I like the wood better. Someone with the aluminum in the Coupe needs to post a picture, I still haven't seen it on the Coupe. Perhaps the color has something to do with it as well.<p><i>: The chrome trim package provides chrome rings around the gauges, chrome door pull handles inside, etc.<p>: The 'aluminum trim' package car I drove had aluminum-colored trim in the instrument panel where the tach and speedo are located, and the 'aluminum' trim replaced the wood on the center console. Also, a number of the knobs which are typically black are replaced by 'aluminum' colored knobs.<p>: IMHO (no flames, please!) the aluminum trim - which, if I recall correctly is just gray plastic - really cheapens the interior. In fact, Car and Driver's recent road test review of a 2.8 Coupe mentioned the plasticky bits that didn't belong in a $38k car. The car I drove was Arctic Silver - the same color as the car pictured in the review. Perhaps they were referring to the 'aluminum' trim.<p>: My advice - go with the wood !!<p></i>

JonM
05-26-1999, 10:16 AM
<i>: I was going to order it site unseen had I ordered and not bought from inventory. I drove a white 328i loaner from the dealer with the aluminum trim, and I didn't like it at all. I mean it wasn't awful, but I think I like the wood better. Someone with the aluminum in the Coupe needs to post a picture, I still haven't seen it on the Coupe. Perhaps the color has something to do with it as well.<p>: : The chrome trim package provides chrome rings around the gauges, chrome door pull handles inside, etc.<p>: : The 'aluminum trim' package car I drove had aluminum-colored trim in the instrument panel where the tach and speedo are located, and the 'aluminum' trim replaced the wood on the center console. Also, a number of the knobs which are typically black are replaced by 'aluminum' colored knobs.<p>: : IMHO (no flames, please!) the aluminum trim - which, if I recall correctly is just gray plastic - really cheapens the interior. In fact, Car and Driver's recent road test review of a 2.8 Coupe mentioned the plasticky bits that didn't belong in a $38k car. The car I drove was Arctic Silver - the same color as the car pictured in the review. Perhaps they were referring to the 'aluminum' trim.<p>: : My advice - go with the wood !!<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index