Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Doug G.
05-24-1999, 03:28 PM
Outside of driving school, what are the best ways to spend $2500 upgrading my M Coupe? Any advice would be helpful.<p>Thank you,<br>Doug "Slim" G.

blue devil
05-24-1999, 04:16 PM
J.C computer up grade -399<br>k&N cold air intake -199<br>short shift kit+ERU -375<br>$975...huh..$1525 to go...<br>H&R spring -300<br>koni shock -400<br>new sound system -600<br>aluminum pedals -200<br>last $25.... how about a m-coupe hat!!!<p>now you will have a faster m-coupe, with superior handling ability. perfect!!!!

D///Mill
05-25-1999, 12:16 PM
<i>: Outside of driving school, what are the best ways to spend $2500 upgrading my M Coupe? Any advice would be helpful.<p>I read earlier that with just a Dinan DME upgrade and their cold air intake system, someone ran 13.40's thru the quarter with the stock Dunlops. That's approximately one-half second quicker than stock ... or a couple car lengths! Those will be the first 2 mods I do for my recently acquired (5/12/99) 2000 "///M coupe" (Silver with black). FYI. Doug

D///Mill
05-25-1999, 12:22 PM
<i>: J.C computer up grade -399<br>: k&N cold air intake -199<br>: short shift kit+ERU -375<br>: $975...huh..$1525 to go...<br>: H&R spring -300<br>: koni shock -400<br>: new sound system -600<br>: aluminum pedals -200<br>: last $25.... how about a m-coupe hat!!!<br>----------------<p></i> Did you price the KONI shocks for the M coupe or just tossing out some numbers? $400 sounds low, and that does NOT include installation (unless you're a "DIY'er").<br>DOES K&N make a cold air intake system for the M coupe? I don't think so.<br>My thoughts ... FWIW.

dp
05-26-1999, 01:21 AM
if you are serious about performance, tires should be the first thing to go. bfg g-force seem to work well (look for my post on z3 board archives for week 20). that takes care of $1100. then a chip - i have dinan ($399) and it works well, but also heard lots of good things about jim c. according to some posts get jim c for daily driver, dinan for all-out fun (you'll hear many opinions on this one). a strut brace is next on my list ($400 from dinan, less from others - but none are available yet). since i don't yet have one, can't tell you how well they work, but from an engineering standpoint those strut towers way out there beg to be connected.<p>a stone chip protector kit is also a must, $330 or so from invinca-shield or $700 from stongard (i got the former). make sure to get a kit that covers rear fenders. then get magnetic stone guards ($40) on top of that - see numerous posts on z3 board. <p>i am still trying to figure out the true value of a 'cold air intake' since the ///M already comes with one (reach up into driver side brake duct to find it). at $600 from dinan i'm not convinced of its worth yet... plus k&n reportedly does not filter as well as the paper stock filter element (search for 'filter' in z3 board archives, i recall a very informative post on that subject some time ago). as of right now i do not have a cold air intake and so cannot make a recommendation on it. but the fact that i haven't decided to spend my own money on one says something.<p>that should more-or-less do it, IMHO.<p><br><i>: Outside of driving school, what are the best ways to spend $2500 upgrading my M Coupe? Any advice would be helpful.<p>: Thank you,<br>: Doug "Slim" G.<p></i>

DAC
05-26-1999, 07:33 AM
my dealer advised to not get it on a Y2K since you have to let the paint "cure". What's up with that?

dp
05-26-1999, 08:17 AM
i've heard this mentioned before, don't know how valid it is. my car has a september build date and i got it in january, so would not have been an issue for me (i didn't find out about the protectors until my front end and rear fenders accumulated dozens of chips, wish it could have been sooner). you might call one of the kit vendors and see what they say. my uneducated guess is that anything over a month from build date ought to be ok...<p><i>: my dealer advised to not get it on a Y2K since you have to let the paint "cure". What's up with that?<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index