Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

NCY
05-25-1999, 07:38 AM
<i>Anyone else see this yet? New issue of Motor Trend (I am not a huge fan of this magazine) has a high speed comparison featuring Viper GTS, Zanardi NSX, Corvette Hardtop, 911 C4, E55, 550 Maranello, and (tada!) an Estoril M Coupe. While it was the slowest, it did get good marks. 5.4 seconds to 60, and it's "slow"! hah!<br></i>

Steve
05-25-1999, 12:33 PM
<i>: Anyone else see this yet? New issue of Motor Trend (I am not a huge fan of this magazine) has a high speed comparison featuring Viper GTS, Zanardi NSX, Corvette Hardtop, 911 C4, E55, 550 Maranello, and (tada!) an Estoril M Coupe. While it was the slowest, it did get good marks. 5.4 seconds to 60, and it's "slow"! hah!<p></i>Haven't read it yet. Gotta say I love that Maranello though.

Nick
05-25-1999, 12:56 PM
Just got my issue two days ago, I have to say......it was a little disappointing to see the Mcoupe to post such a low grip number.....(0.87g)<br>However, I believe it was the tires that had made the Mcoupe to post such a low number, maybe if they tried it with G-Force or Michelins, the results would have been better...<p>Nick<p><i>: Anyone else see this yet? New issue of Motor Trend (I am not a huge fan of this magazine) has a high speed comparison featuring Viper GTS, Zanardi NSX, Corvette Hardtop, 911 C4, E55, 550 Maranello, and (tada!) an Estoril M Coupe. While it was the slowest, it did get good marks. 5.4 seconds to 60, and it's "slow"! hah!<p></i>

JG
05-25-1999, 04:43 PM
Well it might be the slowest, but I will say that I have driven all of those cars (except for the marvelous 550).<p>Viper GTS (friend has a 97)- its just a really fast Dodge, that grips really well. Too much car for the street, no dead pedal, interior sucks, you sit at an offset in the car which is annoying after 25 minutes in the driver seat<p>Acura NSX (drove a 91, 93, 94, 96, and a 97)- great car overall, ridiculously dated, don't like the interior (old controls like a 300ZX)- stickers at $92,000- Acura can keep it.<p>Benz E55- my old man has a new S430 on order and I got a chance to drive the owner's E55. That is just one beast of a car, would love to have one-the dealer is currently getting $6,000 over sticker- if they can get you one.<p>911 Carrera 4 (buddy has a 99 Carrera)- its white, and looks like a TicTac. Drives great, handles great, fast- wouldn't buy it for its "I look too much like a Boxster." The sticker price is also a bit of a turnoff, the new model just doesn't seem like its worth it.

Simon
05-25-1999, 06:58 PM
Hi...<p> Best Motoring is a monthly video magazine from Japan where professional drivers (really pro... some are Leman 24 hr drivers)use the track to take production and sometime race cars to their limit (top speed... discuss grip... braking ...etc...) On the June issue... They did another comparison on a track in Fuji... this time with the M Coupe. The cars are:<br>1. New Skyline GTR<br>2. Lancer EVO 6 (street legal race version)<br>3. Subaru Impreza STi Type V (I might be wrong with all these designations... :P)<br>4. NSX Type S<br>5. Ferrari F355<br>6. New & the last RX-7 (top model RS I think.)<br>7. Euro Spec. M Coupe with SO-2 tires... (Note: They said since it was on track, they decide to use high performance rubber... so they dumped the dunlops...)<p>I really don't have the track knowledge to comment on the results but they were a bit disappointing for the M Coupe... Here goes for the Top speed results with no wind interruptions (They mentioned it) on the track straight. (I am gonna skip the decimals... This is radar tested speed.)BTW, I am at work rite now so this is all from my photographic memory :P I will post corrections if needed...<p>1. F355 @247km<br>2. RX7 @240km<br>2. Skyline @237km<br>3. NSX TypeS @236km<br>4. EVO 6 @235km<br>5. Subaru @233km<br>6. Mcoupe @226km *gasp* (sure would like to know why this one I am definitely not wrong... Why?)<p>I wouldn't want to bother with the race results but the fastest lap the Mcoupe could pull out was 3 secs (last) away from the winning car NSX Type S...<p>The driver commented that the Mcoupe was all over the place at top speed.. ( From my experience it was not steady @ 2xxkm and I believe it...)But to have Mcoupe lose at all the corners to these cars... I find it rather unbelievable... Maybe it is too expensive, and the guy who's driving is conservative... but this really sux... I have this is mpeg form (but in one huge one, advice needed to cut it down...)... and I would like to see how I can get this for everyone to see & give comment on.<p>BTW: They tested a S2000 seperately in another part on the video...Although I dont like the shape or the interior... It ran very fast (They had an onboard view with a picture in picture showing the speedo...) very very good tractability (sp?) for a 2l engine... he went from 70km to 180km pretty quickly... He stayed in from 7k to 9k almost most of the time.. so we know that anything less than 7k rpm it is not gonna pull... However he did this funny thing on a slightly uphill road, he punched in 6th gear and the car ran slowly 55km, 56km, 57km @ around half a second interval... I thought that was interesting...<p>Simon "I still like my Mcoupe better.."<p>Okay, I like the F355 a bit more. :P

J.D.
05-25-1999, 09:39 PM
<p>...to tire pressures. I saw a test where a magazine fiddled around with tire pressures. They barely changed the pressure, only a few psi. But it changed skidpad grip by about .05 g or so. I think that BMW's recomended tire pressures could be improved upon also.<p><blink><marquee>J.D.</blink></marquee>

CoupeDude
05-26-1999, 07:04 AM
<i>: 6. Mcoupe @226km *gasp* (sure would like to know why this one I am definitely not wrong... Why?)<br></i><p>Not sure what that is exactly in MPH, but it sounds like it is around the rev limiter?

dp
05-26-1999, 09:50 AM
<i>: : 6. Mcoupe @226km *gasp* (sure would like to know why this one I am definitely not wrong... Why?)<p>: Not sure what that is exactly in MPH, but it sounds like it is around the rev limiter?<p></i>

Simon
05-26-1999, 04:01 PM
<i>: : 6. Mcoupe @226km *gasp* (sure would like to know why this one I am definitely not wrong... Why?)<p>: Not sure what that is exactly in MPH, but it sounds like it is around the rev limiter?<p></i>

dp
05-26-1999, 10:31 PM
all modern engines have rev limiters... they keep you from blowing up the engine and work by cutting fuel and/or spark at redline. many cars also have a top speed governor, which uses the rev limiter mechanisms to restrict the maximum speed, regardless of rpm. this is a voluntary (not regulatory) feature. most german manufacturers limit their cars to 155 mph (like m5, e55, etc). the m coupe is limited to 137 - my guess is that this is for aerodynamic stability reasons. rather than make a car with this shape behave at higher speeds, bmw probably decided that a 137mph limit is a good enough fix for the real world. the limiter is removed by most aftermarket chips, and given a long-enough stretch of road the m coupe should hit about 150-160 in us trim. i've had mine up to 135 repeatedly on the track (dinan chip), and it was still pulling hard (the straight is not long enough). i've driven a 323ti at 135mph on the autobahn in germany, and even that 170hp car still had some reserve at that speed, so i am sure both the 240 hp us m coupe and the 321 hp euro version can do much better.<p><br><i>: : : 6. Mcoupe @226km *gasp* (sure would like to know why this one I am definitely not wrong... Why?)<p>: : Not sure what that is exactly in MPH, but it sounds like it is around the rev limiter?<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index