Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

HSV-DAN
05-28-1999, 07:15 PM
Dropped by the dealer today to get the rear latch fixed again, wouldn't open by the button, key required. They popped it open in the sign-up lane so we could get parts on order without leaving the car. (one nice thing about a unique car, they take care of me quickly, with lots of interest). Getting to watch helps a lot.<p>To get into the rear cover, they took out the two screws inside the inner handle area and pulled real hard. The cover is held on by ten or twelve of those huge plastic pop-in fasteners. They fixed the linkage to the latch with a cable tie (modern duct tape). As before, the plastic clip that holds the linkage was broken.<p>Thanks to Century in Huntsville for great response. Hope there is an improved latch on the way.<p>Dan

MZC
05-31-1999, 01:48 AM
Thanks for the info Dan<br>How did the pull it off? How many guys did it take...and where did they grab? I've tried it myself...and didn't get anywhere. I didn't want to wiggle it lose so that the rear piece starts creekin.<p>I'm sure this is a serious enough problem that we'll see more of out there. Pay attention guys<p><i>: Dropped by the dealer today to get the rear latch fixed again, wouldn't open by the button, key required. They popped it open in the sign-up lane so we could get parts on order without leaving the car. (one nice thing about a unique car, they take care of me quickly, with lots of interest). Getting to watch helps a lot.<p>: To get into the rear cover, they took out the two screws inside the inner handle area and pulled real hard. The cover is held on by ten or twelve of those huge plastic pop-in fasteners. They fixed the linkage to the latch with a cable tie (modern duct tape). As before, the plastic clip that holds the linkage was broken.<p>: Thanks to Century in Huntsville for great response. Hope there is an improved latch on the way.<p>: Dan<p><br></i>

HSV-DAN
05-31-1999, 12:26 PM
One guy, started at a lower corner (from a closed hatch viewpoint), and worked his way around. Once two or three clips came loose, it came off quickly. (Including the large vinyl covered part at the base of the window)<p><i>: Thanks for the info Dan<br>: How did the pull it off? How many guys did it take...and where did they grab? <p><br></i>

///MZC
06-12-1999, 10:55 AM
Replaired the hatch links my self over the week-end. I've followed your direction of pulling from the bottom corners and it worked. But looking at the way the hatch panels were attached, I recommend that if anyone ever tries this to pull from the part of the panel closes to the window. This is to prevent the breaking of part of the panel that goes around the locking mechanism. When I started at the bottom corner, I was putting a lot of stress around this plastic that went around the locking mechanism. <p>After removing the hatch panel. I noticed a lose screw that held the carpet fabric in the hatch panel. For those of you who have rattling problems, this could be the cause.<p>I fixed the hatch problem by using fish lines. I looked at the way the hatch lock opens and the link doesn't operate very smoothly. There's quite a bit of stress on that link as it turns. It's certain that it'll break. I used fish lines so that the link is held together but there is room for flexibility. <p>I've also changed my instrument cluster in the cockpit. My seat warmers switches were reversed between the driver and passengers, so I corrected that. I also put the clock in the middle of the three gauges...Looks better this way in my opinion. Then I put the ASC switch closer to the drivers seat. And placed the AC switch smack in the middle since it's the only switch with 2 round buttons. The reaarangement looks a lot more organized and intuitive. <p>I must say that I had fun doing this. Working on this beast makes me feel as if I'm working on my project racer.<p>HAVE FUN GUYS...let me know if you need any help.<br> <p><i>: One guy, started at a lower corner (from a closed hatch viewpoint), and worked his way around. Once two or three clips came loose, it came off quickly. (Including the large vinyl covered part at the base of the window)<p>: : Thanks for the info Dan<br>: : How did the pull it off? How many guys did it take...and where did they grab? <p><p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index