Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

costasz
05-29-1999, 08:18 PM
I was merging into this 2 lane road and a big bike <br>Ninja ZX7 or ZX9 I think wanted to race ( he kept revving his bike ). The light changed, I floored it,<br>blew him off right off the start and he stayed behind me all the way to the next light. ( even though he floored his too, I've driven Ninjas I know what they sound like when they're revved up ).<br>This is when I'm still breaking my M Coupe in and with my mother in the car. I up shifted at around 4500-4700 rpm.<br>

bing bing, thats all EOM Imola ///Mikky
05-29-1999, 09:46 PM
<i>: I was merging into this 2 lane road and a big bike <br>: Ninja ZX7 or ZX9 I think wanted to race ( he kept revving his bike ). The light changed, I floored it,<br>: blew him off right off the start and he stayed behind me all the way to the next light. ( even though he floored his too, I've driven Ninjas I know what they sound like when they're revved up ).<br>: This is when I'm still breaking my M Coupe in and with my mother in the car. I up shifted at around 4500-4700 rpm.<p><p></i>

costasz
05-29-1999, 10:11 PM
Depends on the driver.<br>I've never timed myself on the Ninja ( kind of hard to do don't you think ? ) but a bike is harder to launch right on regular roads.<br>The M Coupe launches right every time.<br>Regardless, it was very exciting.<br>

Steve S.
05-29-1999, 11:44 PM
I got a friend with a new ZX9R...and he knows how to ride. There is no way an experienced motorcycle rider on a ZX9R should lose to any street legal car. This is one SERIOUS bike. He musta been a putz...or he spun his tires badly. I wouldn't make it a habit playin with those folks.<p>Steve S.

D///Mill
05-30-1999, 12:44 AM
<i> No way would you beat any of the current crotch rockets ... He just wanted to see YOU go, and he just tagged along at (maybe) half throttle.<p>Today's serious street bikes are nothing to mess with. I've ridden my son's Yamaha "R1" several times, and it's in a league of its own! Only the new Suzi "Busa" will surpass it in acceleration. BTW ... My son ran his R1 at the drags Friday night. This is the FIRST time EVER he has run a bike at the drags. On his 5th pass ... 10.90 at 131.1 mph! Not too shabby for a "rookie", huh? (Road tests by the pro riders get low-10's for the "R1".)

costasz
05-30-1999, 10:29 AM
-

blue devil
05-30-1999, 07:34 PM
<i>: I was merging into this 2 lane road and a big bike <br>: Ninja ZX7 or ZX9 I think wanted to race ( he kept revving his bike ). The light changed, I floored it,<br>: blew him off right off the start and he stayed behind me all the way to the next light. ( even though he floored his too, I've driven Ninjas I know what they sound like when they're revved up ).<br>: This is when I'm still breaking my M Coupe in and with my mother in the car. I up shifted at around 4500-4700 rpm.<p></i>

You're Kidding Right
05-31-1999, 10:32 AM
My first bike was a 1978 Kawasaki 650 which is no where near as quick as the Crotch Rockets they sell today.<p>I remember racing my buddy who had a 1979 6.6 Liter 5 speed Trans Am and blowing his doors off.<p>I'm pretty sure my Kawi 650 could blow the doors off your M from a stoplight. Your M could get most certainly have taken my old bike at 80 or 90 MPH and up.<p>However I seriously doubt even a supercharged M could outrun even a ZX-6 Ninja.

Very Doubting Thomas (eom)
05-31-1999, 01:19 PM
<i>: I was merging into this 2 lane road and a big bike <br>: Ninja ZX7 or ZX9 I think wanted to race ( he kept revving his bike ). The light changed, I floored it,<br>: blew him off right off the start and he stayed behind me all the way to the next light. ( even though he floored his too, I've driven Ninjas I know what they sound like when they're revved up ).<br>: This is when I'm still breaking my M Coupe in and with my mother in the car. I up shifted at around 4500-4700 rpm.<p></i>

dp
05-31-1999, 02:06 PM
quite often when i cruise around on my ducati 900 (which is slower off the line than most hard-core jap 600's), i just get lazy. you get used to reducing all traffic to small dots in your mirrors with but a half-hearted twist of the throttle. on occasion i'd pull up next to a performance car that is in the mood for a drag race, and just do the easy-on-the-clutch start with a slow throttle roll-on to keep the front wheel down. if the car has enough torque (like the ///M coupe), it would sometimes pull away off the line, at which point i'd find it too much of a bother to do anything but keep up... more out to amuse myself than prove anything. and if a cop happens to be nearby, the guy ahead is more likely to get nailed. i am sure these scenarios happen all the time... <p>to put it into another perspective, a fully-loaded honda goldwing luxo-barge bike with lazy-boy leather couches and a passenger onboard has about the same power-to-weight as a SUPERCHARGED ///M coupe - to say nothing of any bike with sporting pretentions.<p>i've not yet 'drag-raced' my ///M coupe against a bike, but if i were ever to win such a contest, i'd just smile and thank the biker for his/her charity :) <p><i>: <br></i>

Simon
06-01-1999, 02:10 AM

James N.
06-03-1999, 04:34 PM
Before I tell my brief story I will start by saying that the guy I raced was indeed pushing his bike, but it wasn't modified at all and the rider wasn't decked out in full race gear. Also, I drive an e36 m3, and I know this is a Z3/M coupe board, but I thought I'd share anyway. That being said, on the way out of Washington D.C. on normal Thursday afternoons the roads are always stuffed with traffic. Once you make it into Maryland, the traffic lightens up a little, and, with a little manuevering, spaces open up to run a little if you want to. So, the bike was a car behind me in traffic for a couple of miles and I knew he wanted to run. Once traffic opened up he jumped between two cars and headed towards an 80mph right hand sweeper. At the same time the traffic opened in my lane and I took off down the road after him. He was defintely pushing his bike through the turn, and I started reeling him in about 1/2 way through the turn. The following bend once you exit the first turn is a 1/4 mile, 115mph left-hand sweeper gradually climbing a hill. This is where my exit speed from the first turn really paid off because I passed him in the right lane, and then we drag raced up the hill and I eventually opened up a sizeable lead. This was about the end of the race though because we encountered a couple of cars and I gave up weaving through traffic when I was a kid, so I slowed down. In a drag race from a dead stop this bike would have killed me, but since the road wasn't completely smooth and I'm very familiar with it, my m3 had an advantage over his bike. My rule of thumb when it comes to bikes is if there is turns involved, then I will dance, but if it's mostly straightaways, I'll leave the car/bike matchups to the modified supras. BTW, no flames please because I made sure that nobody except for myself was at risk, especially the biker, because I always give them more room than is necessary when racing because many of my friends have them. Sorry this took so long, but cars CAN beat bikes, but only under certain circumstances. <p>James N.<br>Cosmos 99 3/2

dp
06-03-1999, 05:29 PM
<i>at least against lower-displacement bikes, because it becomes a power/drag issue instead of power/weight. also, many bikers (myself included) are reluctant to really push it in the turns on the street - a little debris can ruin your whole day, not to mention those to follow (if any). i do recall one of the bike mags (sport rider?) doing an nsx vs. cbr 900rr matchup at streets of willow, with professional pilots for both. the bike was a tad slower in the turns, faster in acceleration, and a little faster in overall lap times. on the street, a well-driven ///M will smoke most bikes in the twisties, just because you can comfortably push it much closer to the limit....<p><p>: <p><br></i>

Cheuk in Seoul
06-04-1999, 02:37 PM
In a modified TT RX7, I have taken big bikes on mountain roads (easy), from rolling starts at above 60 mph and just once from a dead stop (he was to busy trying to get the bike down from a wheelie). Know yourself and your enemy, you'll be less likely to be embarressed.

Don Eilenberger
06-04-1999, 11:38 PM
<i>: : I was merging into this 2 lane road and a big bike <br>: : Ninja ZX7 or ZX9 I think wanted to race ( he kept revving his bike ). The light changed, I floored it,<br>: : blew him off right off the start and he stayed behind me all the way to the next light. ( even though he floored his too, I've driven Ninjas I know what they sound like when they're revved up ).<br>: : This is when I'm still breaking my M Coupe in and with my mother in the car. I up shifted at around 4500-4700 rpm.<p></i><p>Gotta disagree on "He's not a good biker then, no car beats bikes" - been *riding* (you ride bikes, you drive cars) for almost as long as I've been driving.<p>On a stright - a bike may have a definate advantage, but - my BMW K100RT (998cc) has almost identical performance spec's to my 3200cc M coupe. It has a disadvantage in if I give it full throttle and drop the clutch - the front end is heading upwards, not the case on the M coupe. If you get into twisties - the coupe has it all over the K100RT - the level of protection in the coupe allows you to take risks you can't on a bike, and the tires - 4 of them with large widely spread contact patches - help compensate for road variables. Anyone who tries to beat an M coupe on a bike may do it once or twice - but sooner or later they'll end up over their head and this is not a good thing on a bike.<p>Best,<p>Don Eilenberger

dyp
06-10-1999, 01:42 PM
I must agree with dp, as I also have a duucati 900, and yes, this model duck is not known for its off-the line acceleration, but I have yet to encounter any car that can outperform it from 0-110 mph.

costasz
06-11-1999, 11:06 AM
And that is a super bike driven on a track to get those numbers. an mcoupe can get good 0-60 on most roads.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index