Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Jonathan
08-05-1999, 04:17 PM
Does anyone know where and how to get racing harness seat belts installed into the M coupe seats. And what kind of foglights are the best to put in the coupe.<br>thanks

jherman
08-05-1999, 06:06 PM
<i>: Does anyone know where and how to get racing harness seat belts installed into the M coupe seats. And what kind of foglights are the best to put in the coupe.<br>: thanks<p></i>HMS Motorsport has prototyped a removable harness bar which it sells with Shroth harness belts. Unfortunately, the guy who builds the bars for HMS is on other projects. The projected availablity date has slipped from May, when I first inquired, to sometime in september--season gone. I have been unable to locate any other source even working on the problem. I have called a number of other aftermarket suppliers (BMP, Dinan, etc.) and roll bar/cage suppliers without any luck. A permanent cage or roll bar would really tear the car up and I'm not ready to yet commit the car to non street legal racing--too much street fun and too much car to roll into a tire wall. BUt I would like to get the harnesses in for time trials, driving schools and autocrosses. Some clubs, e.g., Alfa Romeo, will not let you run without 5 points.

Raymond
08-06-1999, 02:12 PM
I have one in my M coupe. Speedware of Redmond Washington (425-869-5680) made it for me. It's all aluminium, can be powder coated to any color, and the harness mounts to the factory seatbelt screws and two attachments behind the seats rails. It's super nice. By the way, HMS buys their harness bars from Speedware. Just say the guy with the yellow M coupe recommended you. They also made a fire extinguisher which fits in front and under the passenger seats. If you opt for the fire extinguisher mount, then you will loose some mobility of the passenger seat. I have a set of Sparco 5 point belts; the new Sparco belts have the motorsport flag pattern on them. <p>Ray 1999 yellow M coupe/ Bellevue WA<p>P.S. I don't work for them, and the harness bar ain't cheap!

Jim
08-09-1999, 09:38 AM
Raymond,<p>Any chance of you posting a pciture showing the harness bar and belts? Also, how much was it?<p>Jim

JimHerman
08-11-1999, 11:15 AM
<i>: I have one in my M coupe. Speedware of Redmond Washington (425-869-5680) made it for me. It's all aluminium, can be powder coated to any color, and the harness mounts to the factory seatbelt screws and two attachments behind the seats rails. It's super nice. By the way, HMS buys their harness bars from Speedware. Just say the guy with the yellow M coupe recommended you. They also made a fire extinguisher which fits in front and under the passenger seats. If you opt for the fire extinguisher mount, then you will loose some mobility of the passenger seat. I have a set of Sparco 5 point belts; the new Sparco belts have the motorsport flag pattern on them. <p>: Ray 1999 yellow M coupe/ Bellevue WA<p>: P.S. I don't work for them, and the harness bar ain't cheap!<p></i>Raymond, thanks for the great tip. I called Speedware and they had the harness bar in stock. I getting it in time for some seat time at Willow Springs next Tuesday. I can't believe I've been dealing with HMS on this since last May without results. Again, thanks.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index