Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : No Z8

Darrell M
03-16-2000, 04:20 PM
Well, I have decided after some long, hard thinking to buy a Jaguar XKR. I have placed an order for a Blue XKR convertible with upgraded brakes and gps. The bad part is that for Canada, the gps system isn't up and running yet. It could be a year before I will actually be able to use the system. No matter. I decided that the Jag and Z8 offer similar levels of quality, performance and luxury, but the price of the XKR and the fact that it has a glass rear window tipped the balance for me. Added to this the wait for a Z8, the fact one can't get a test drive and the markups, the XKR made real sense to me.<p>For those of you considering buying a Z8 or those who have already placed an order for one, I would like to know what other cars you considered before choosing the Z8 (e.g. MB SL series, Aston Martin DB7, Jaguar XKR etc) and why you chose the Z8. Also, what previous cars of this class have you previously owned? Well, even as a soon-to-be Jag owner, I hope I can still visit this board and get your opinions of the Z8 one you take delivery. Happy motoring!<p>Darrell M

Glenn
03-16-2000, 05:07 PM
I've already heard and read enough posts and articles where people are comparing this car to others of similarly priced vehicles; they both enjoy the car and feel that it IS a contender. Basically, I've taken to ignoring others concerns. I pick BMW for it's style and (to me) it's perfect blend of performance and luxury. It's not purely a luxury car, it's not purely a performance car. I'm not a racer, I'm not an aristocrat. Therefore, I like the mix that I get with this vehicle. With the limited quantity of the Z8, at least even if I find that for some unseen reason I DON'T like the car, I can sell it! AND probably turn a profit! To me, those are unbeatable qualities.<p><i>: Well, I have decided after some long, hard thinking to buy a Jaguar XKR. I have placed an order for a Blue XKR convertible with upgraded brakes and gps. The bad part is that for Canada, the gps system isn't up and running yet. It could be a year before I will actually be able to use the system. No matter. I decided that the Jag and Z8 offer similar levels of quality, performance and luxury, but the price of the XKR and the fact that it has a glass rear window tipped the balance for me. Added to this the wait for a Z8, the fact one can't get a test drive and the markups, the XKR made real sense to me.<p>: For those of you considering buying a Z8 or those who have already placed an order for one, I would like to know what other cars you considered before choosing the Z8 (e.g. MB SL series, Aston Martin DB7, Jaguar XKR etc) and why you chose the Z8. Also, what previous cars of this class have you previously owned? Well, even as a soon-to-be Jag owner, I hope I can still visit this board and get your opinions of the Z8 one you take delivery. Happy motoring!<p>: Darrell M <p></i>

Z8 Bob
03-16-2000, 05:51 PM
I agree with Glenn. I have owned two 740iLs, my wife drives a 540iT wagon and I have an M Roadster. Like Glenn I work for a living and enjoy the unique approach that BMW takes in their business. Owning and driving a unique car like the Z8 will be a kick. It will be hard to get burned given BMW's reputation and the current market demand.<p>BTW I had the pleasure of meeting Heinrich Fisker, the Dane that designed the Z07. He now heads BMW's design studio in Pasadena, CA. His passion for what the company was trying to express was very refreshing. The talk that he gave was not a BMW sponsered event. It was part of an automotive design series put on by the University of California. If any of you have the opportunity to meet him you should take the time. The thought process in creating a car like this is facinating for someone completely outside of the business.<p>Bob<p><i>: I've already heard and read enough posts and articles where people are comparing this car to others of similarly priced vehicles; they both enjoy the car and feel that it IS a contender. Basically, I've taken to ignoring others concerns. I pick BMW for it's style and (to me) it's perfect blend of performance and luxury. It's not purely a luxury car, it's not purely a performance car. I'm not a racer, I'm not an aristocrat. Therefore, I like the mix that I get with this vehicle. With the limited quantity of the Z8, at least even if I find that for some unseen reason I DON'T like the car, I can sell it! AND probably turn a profit! To me, those are unbeatable qualities.<p>: : Well, I have decided after some long, hard thinking to buy a Jaguar XKR. I have placed an order for a Blue XKR convertible with upgraded brakes and gps. The bad part is that for Canada, the gps system isn't up and running yet. It could be a year before I will actually be able to use the system. No matter. I decided that the Jag and Z8 offer similar levels of quality, performance and luxury, but the price of the XKR and the fact that it has a glass rear window tipped the balance for me. Added to this the wait for a Z8, the fact one can't get a test drive and the markups, the XKR made real sense to me.<p>: : For those of you considering buying a Z8 or those who have already placed an order for one, I would like to know what other cars you considered before choosing the Z8 (e.g. MB SL series, Aston Martin DB7, Jaguar XKR etc) and why you chose the Z8. Also, what previous cars of this class have you previously owned? Well, even as a soon-to-be Jag owner, I hope I can still visit this board and get your opinions of the Z8 one you take delivery. Happy motoring!<p>: : Darrell M <p></i>

Darrell M
03-16-2000, 05:51 PM
Glenn,<p>I see your point. It was a very hard decision for me to reach (buying the XKR). The Z8 seems like a great car and the Jag definitely doesn't have the sportiness that the BMW exhibits. However, the issues I mentioned in my first post, the character of Jaguars (plus the fact I have British blood in me) swayed me to the XKR. true, there is no REAL comparison between these cars, but I stand by my reasoning and I commend you for standing by yours.<p>Darrell M<p><i>: I've already heard and read enough posts and articles where people are comparing this car to others of similarly priced vehicles; they both enjoy the car and feel that it IS a contender. Basically, I've taken to ignoring others concerns. I pick BMW for it's style and (to me) it's perfect blend of performance and luxury. It's not purely a luxury car, it's not purely a performance car. I'm not a racer, I'm not an aristocrat. Therefore, I like the mix that I get with this vehicle. With the limited quantity of the Z8, at least even if I find that for some unseen reason I DON'T like the car, I can sell it! AND probably turn a profit! To me, those are unbeatable qualities.<p>: : Well, I have decided after some long, hard thinking to buy a Jaguar XKR. I have placed an order for a Blue XKR convertible with upgraded brakes and gps. The bad part is that for Canada, the gps system isn't up and running yet. It could be a year before I will actually be able to use the system. No matter. I decided that the Jag and Z8 offer similar levels of quality, performance and luxury, but the price of the XKR and the fact that it has a glass rear window tipped the balance for me. Added to this the wait for a Z8, the fact one can't get a test drive and the markups, the XKR made real sense to me.<p>: : For those of you considering buying a Z8 or those who have already placed an order for one, I would like to know what other cars you considered before choosing the Z8 (e.g. MB SL series, Aston Martin DB7, Jaguar XKR etc) and why you chose the Z8. Also, what previous cars of this class have you previously owned? Well, even as a soon-to-be Jag owner, I hope I can still visit this board and get your opinions of the Z8 one you take delivery. Happy motoring!<p>: : Darrell M <p></i>

Alan
03-16-2000, 06:35 PM
...drop me an email when you get a chance!<p><br>--Alan

Chris
03-16-2000, 08:30 PM
Darrell,<br> Unfortunately, it will be a long time before I can post to tell you what I think of the Z8. At least a year and a half from what the dealer is telling me. For me, there is no other car in world worth driving. I've had one Jaguar in my life (91 XJ6), that was the worst car I ever owned. I know how much better they are now though. I have had an SL600 that was pretty nice, but with that much torque and horsepower, I expected much more. I have an M3 Covertible and an X5 right now that haven't given me any grief at all. I love both of the cars. To me, BMW just blends luxury and sport perfectly. I really never gave it too much thought when the Z8 was announced. I thought about the Ferrari F355 Spyder and the Porsche 911 Cabrio(Love the 993, don't like the 996 at all), but neither of them are BMW's. I commend you for your choice. The XKR is a great car to be sure. Hopefully you will post on this board to tell everyone what you think of it when you get it. Take care.<p><i>: Well, I have decided after some long, hard thinking to buy a Jaguar XKR. I have placed an order for a Blue XKR convertible with upgraded brakes and gps. The bad part is that for Canada, the gps system isn't up and running yet. It could be a year before I will actually be able to use the system. No matter. I decided that the Jag and Z8 offer similar levels of quality, performance and luxury, but the price of the XKR and the fact that it has a glass rear window tipped the balance for me. Added to this the wait for a Z8, the fact one can't get a test drive and the markups, the XKR made real sense to me.<p>: For those of you considering buying a Z8 or those who have already placed an order for one, I would like to know what other cars you considered before choosing the Z8 (e.g. MB SL series, Aston Martin DB7, Jaguar XKR etc) and why you chose the Z8. Also, what previous cars of this class have you previously owned? Well, even as a soon-to-be Jag owner, I hope I can still visit this board and get your opinions of the Z8 one you take delivery. Happy motoring!<p>: Darrell M <p></i>

MORE Jason L
03-19-2000, 11:33 AM
<i>change your mind!</i>

Darrell M
03-19-2000, 03:12 PM
Jason,<p>A review is one thing, a test drive is another. There is no doubt in my mind that the Z8 is a brilliant car, but as I have said before, I stand by my reasoning. <p>"To each his own"<p>Darrell M<p><i>: change your mind!<p></i>

KJV
03-22-2000, 11:34 AM
Darrell<br>What is the delivery time on the XKR? My dealer in Seattle can't seem to locate an XKR and is telling me 9 to 12 months for delivery. At this point I am undecided about the Z8 vs. XKR decision. It comes down to how long can I stand to wait for either one.<br>

Darrell M
03-23-2000, 07:29 PM
Post your e-mail address and I will get in touch with you.<p>Darrell<p><br><i>: Darrell<br>: What is the delivery time on the XKR? My dealer in Seattle can't seem to locate an XKR and is telling me 9 to 12 months for delivery. At this point I am undecided about the Z8 vs. XKR decision. It comes down to how long can I stand to wait for either one.<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index