Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Z8 in this month's Motor Trend...

Scott
04-04-2000, 07:22 PM
The absolutely love it. They say it will go down in history as one of the greatest supercars of all time.<p>Good article!<p>Scott<br>'00 323Ci<br>Titanium/Black<br>5SPD/SP/PP/HK/Xn/Leather/6-CD

Chris
04-04-2000, 07:25 PM
<i>: The absolutely love it. They say it will go down in history as one of the greatest supercars of all time.<p>: Good article!<p>: Scott<br>: '00 323Ci<br>: Titanium/Black<br>: 5SPD/SP/PP/HK/Xn/Leather/6-CD<p></i>

Darrell M
04-05-2000, 11:12 PM
I saw the article you are referring to and I just had to buy the magazine. The photos are well done and the Z8 looks stunning in Topaz blue. Interestingly enough, the XKR I have on order is in the same colour. If I ever get tired with the XKR, maybe a Z8 will be in order? Too bad that the production run will only be three years; if I do buy a Z8, it will have to be a used one! (am I fickle with cars or what? - lol.) I am wondering why the Z8 is on a three-year production run as opposed to the usual seven-year BMW run. Is it to commemorate the 507 somehow? <p>Well, it will be interesting to hear your posts once you take delivery of your cars. Take care.<p>Darrell M<p><br><i>: They absolutely love it. They say it will go down in history as one of the greatest supercars of all time.<p>: Good article!<p>: Scott<br>: '00 323Ci<br>: Titanium/Black<br>: 5SPD/SP/PP/HK/Xn/Leather/6-CD<p></i>

Z8 Bob
04-06-2000, 10:45 AM
Q I am wondering why the Z8 is on a three-year production run as opposed to the usual seven-year BMW run. Is it to commemorate the 507 somehow? <p>A When BMW polled its North American dealers almost five years ago about a two-seater sports car, with a V8, etc, priced at $100K the dealers response was that they would be able to sell a total of 200. They were still smarting from the 850 response. <p>This was to be THE millennium car for BMW. A limited edition combining classic design with state of the art technology. When they created the prototype, based on Fisker’s Z07 design, they ordered one set of tools for the car instead of making the prototype by hand with existing tools and ordering the specialized tools later. The three year limited run is based on the useful life of the existing set of tools. At this point once the set is worn out, no more Z8s. BMW is loosing money on this car and the senior management that authorized it along with the purchase of Rover, are “OUT.” Given the staggering $7 Billion loss on Rover, we will probably not see another grand automotive gesture like this car, at least from BMW which needs to make profitable cars if it is to remain independent.<p>Bob <br>

Darrell M
04-06-2000, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the information. That seems to make sense. I suppose that the three year production run of the Z8 and the 507 is just a coincidence. Good thing BMW has the 3-Series to keep it afloat.<p>Darrell M<p><br><i>: Q I am wondering why the Z8 is on a three-year production run as opposed to the usual seven-year BMW run. Is it to commemorate the 507 somehow? <p>: A When BMW polled its North American dealers almost five years ago about a two-seater sports car, with a V8, etc, priced at $100K the dealers response was that they would be able to sell a total of 200. They were still smarting from the 850 response. <p>: This was to be THE millennium car for BMW. A limited edition combining classic design with state of the art technology. When they created the prototype, based on Fisker’s Z07 design, they ordered one set of tools for the car instead of making the prototype by hand with existing tools and ordering the specialized tools later. The three year limited run is based on the useful life of the existing set of tools. At this point once the set is worn out, no more Z8s. BMW is loosing money on this car and the senior management that authorized it along with the purchase of Rover, are “OUT.” Given the staggering $7 Billion loss on Rover, we will probably not see another grand automotive gesture like this car, at least from BMW which needs to make profitable cars if it is to remain independent.<p>: Bob <p></i>

car? I hope you were joking.
04-06-2000, 10:54 PM
<i>: Q I am wondering why the Z8 is on a three-year production run as opposed to the usual seven-year BMW run. Is it to commemorate the 507 somehow? <p>: A When BMW polled its North American dealers almost five years ago about a two-seater sports car, with a V8, etc, priced at $100K the dealers response was that they would be able to sell a total of 200. They were still smarting from the 850 response. <p>: This was to be THE millennium car for BMW. A limited edition combining classic design with state of the art technology. When they created the prototype, based on Fisker’s Z07 design, they ordered one set of tools for the car instead of making the prototype by hand with existing tools and ordering the specialized tools later. The three year limited run is based on the useful life of the existing set of tools. At this point once the set is worn out, no more Z8s. BMW is loosing money on this car and the senior management that authorized it along with the purchase of Rover, are “OUT.” Given the staggering $7 Billion loss on Rover, we will probably not see another grand automotive gesture like this car, at least from BMW which needs to make profitable cars if it is to remain independent.<p>: Bob <p><br></i>

Bruce
04-07-2000, 10:40 AM
the story I have heard is there will be a run of 2000 Z8s, if they sell well enought there could be another run of 2000 cars, then that's it, no more Z8s. 4000 total.<p>The Z8 project almost got axed because it was way over budget. I would say BMW could very well be taking a loss on each car, but this car is a brand builder. What BMW is hoping to do is to attract buyers to the showrrom then sell them a 7 series hopefully making the profit they lose on the Z8 by selling a 7.

Z8 Bob
04-07-2000, 10:42 AM
IRe: Are you smoking crack?? "BMW is losing $$ on this car?<p>I suspect that you are our flammer who can't sign his/her name. No I don't "use" and I do know what I am talking about. You display a lack of understanding of the economies of the capital intensive car business if you think any one can produce a car with so many unique parts, on such a limited basis and make a profit.<p>This is a marketing strategy to get High end buyers into the BMW dealers and it sets the stage for the $80-$100K "SL" buyers to buy the later mass produced version that will replace the 850<br>Bob

Brendan Lester
04-14-2000, 06:34 PM
Where did you get the scoop on the 8 series replacement?

Z8 Bob
04-14-2000, 09:43 PM
Dealer speculation. The Z8 is a limited production, three year run. The general belief with the US dealers is that BMW will use this "flagship" to roll out a car series that goes head to head with the MB SL series, with the pricing in the 80-100K range.<p>The new 6 series in already "on deck" and the general speculation is that the new 8s will follow in a couple of years.<p>Bob

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index