Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

William
04-10-2000, 12:02 AM
I don't understand the market target for the Z8, BMW priced the Z8 way up there with the Modena Spider and Turbos. people will get the Ferrari and Porsche with relativly the same price and better performance and more balance than the Z8. People will get the M5,E55,CL55, if they want a performance sedan. M coupe, Elise or S2000 if they want a (fun to drive) car. what about the Z8??

Jim Surdick
04-10-2000, 02:00 AM
Some people just may prefer a BMW to a Porsche or Ferrari, Lotus, etc.. Tastes and individuals vary. That's why everyone doesn't drive the same car. Besides, for some people, it isn't a big problem to own a Porsche, Ferrari, *AND* BMW Z8. If they were smart enough or worked hard enough to afford it, more power to them. As far as understanding the market, the Z8 is "in my opinion" a VERY sharp car and perhaps I will buy one someday. So there is one more person in the market. The reason I like it? Because I think it looks cool, has very respectable performance and it will be, like all BMW's, one heckuva durable automobile. 'Nuff said.<p>Jim Surdick<br>'92 Laguna Green 850i 6spd<br>BMWCCA#!48638<p><i>: I don't understand the market target for the Z8, BMW priced the Z8 way up there with the Modena Spider and Turbos. people will get the Ferrari and Porsche with relativly the same price and better performance and more balance than the Z8. People will get the M5,E55,CL55, if they want a performance sedan. M coupe, Elise or S2000 if they want a (fun to drive) car. what about the Z8?? <p></i>

Chris
04-10-2000, 03:36 PM
I think that must be the dumbest question I have yet to see. All 400 of the Z8's coming to these shores are sold. Obviously some people want this car. I am one of those people who you must consider an idiot to buy a Z8, but you know what, I'm very hapy with my decision. And another thing, I've said this before. The biggest reason I am buying the Z8, and I'm sure a lot of others are, is because of the simple fact it is a BMW, and not a Porsche or Ferrari.<p><i>: I don't understand the market target for the Z8, BMW priced the Z8 way up there with the Modena Spider and Turbos. people will get the Ferrari and Porsche with relativly the same price and better performance and more balance than the Z8. People will get the M5,E55,CL55, if they want a performance sedan. M coupe, Elise or S2000 if they want a (fun to drive) car. what about the Z8?? <p></i>

Z8 Bob
04-10-2000, 05:57 PM
Worrying about who will buy this car is not just moot for this year, but for the entire 3 year run. The dealer I have bought mine through will get nine cars. The most any dealer will get, as they sell close to 2,000 cars per year. THEY HAVE SOLD ALL THE CARS WITH A LONG WAITING LIST BEHIND THEM. <p>Some of us love BMWs others go nuts for Porsches. My partner has owned a 911 for many years and feels betrayed by the changes made to the new cars. He is #2 in line for a Z8. What does it mean? <p>My dad used to say that if we all had the same taste in cars we'd all be driving black Fords. Since he has now passed away, his views cannot be questioned.<p>Bob<p><i>: I don't understand the market target for the Z8, BMW priced the Z8 way up there with the Modena Spider and Turbos. people will get the Ferrari and Porsche with relativly the same price and better performance and more balance than the Z8. People will get the M5,E55,CL55, if they want a performance sedan. M coupe, Elise or S2000 if they want a (fun to drive) car. what about the Z8?? <p></i>

KURTB
04-10-2000, 07:57 PM
BMWs are usually good for 200K miles.<p><i>: I don't understand the market target for the Z8, BMW priced the Z8 way up there with the Modena Spider and Turbos. people will get the Ferrari and Porsche with relativly the same price and better performance and more balance than the Z8. People will get the M5,E55,CL55, if they want a performance sedan. M coupe, Elise or S2000 if they want a (fun to drive) car. what about the Z8?? <p></i>

Lorenz
04-10-2000, 08:23 PM
<br>This is slightly off-topic, but isn't it amazing that 0.5% of Z8 customers in the US are posters on this board?<p>Chris states that there will be 400 Z8's in the US this year, making him and Bob half a percent of that number... Just out of curiosity: are both of you guys expecting your cars this year?<p>Lorenz<br>

William Wong
04-10-2000, 09:25 PM
I am not saying people consider buying an Z8 is an idiot. Consider the built quality, value and performance (I won't go too technical) which is the demand for the market now a day. The Z8 with this price range and its class can't really compete with Porsche, Ferrari or A.Martin consider the built quality and performace. But of course there are people out there will buy a car because of its looks or it is 'BMW' as you said. I am not sure if Z8 will be a major sales suscess for BMW. That was my point.

-grin- ~Glenn
04-11-2000, 10:47 AM
<i>: I don't understand the market target for the Z8, BMW priced the Z8 way up there with the Modena Spider and Turbos. people will get the Ferrari and Porsche with relativly the same price and better performance and more balance than the Z8. People will get the M5,E55,CL55, if they want a performance sedan. M coupe, Elise or S2000 if they want a (fun to drive) car. what about the Z8?? <p></i>

PeteS
04-11-2000, 02:00 PM
Of the cars you mentioned: Porsche, Ferrari and A. Martin, none are even close to BMW build quality. Surely you must already know this?!<p><i>: I am not saying people consider buying an Z8 is an idiot. Consider the built quality, value and performance (I won't go too technical) which is the demand for the market now a day. The Z8 with this price range and its class can't really compete with Porsche, Ferrari or A.Martin consider the built quality and performace. But of course there are people out there will buy a car because of its looks or it is 'BMW' as you said. I am not sure if Z8 will be a major sales suscess for BMW. That was my point.<p></i>

PeteS
04-11-2000, 02:01 PM
<i>: Of the cars you mentioned: Porsche, Ferrari and A. Martin, none are even close to BMW build quality. Surely you must already know this?!<p>: : I am not saying people consider buying an Z8 is an idiot. Consider the built quality, value and performance (I won't go too technical) which is the demand for the market now a day. The Z8 with this price range and its class can't really compete with Porsche, Ferrari or A.Martin consider the built quality and performace. But of course there are people out there will buy a car because of its looks or it is 'BMW' as you said. I am not sure if Z8 will be a major sales suscess for BMW. That was my point.<p></i>

Z8 Bob
04-11-2000, 07:40 PM
<i>: <br>: This is slightly off-topic, but isn't it amazing that 0.5% of Z8 customers in the US are posters on this board?<p>: Chris states that there will be 400 Z8's in the US this year, making him and Bob half a percent of that number... Just out of curiosity: are both of you guys expecting your cars this year?<p>: Lorenz<p></i>

Chris
04-11-2000, 11:12 PM
My dealer is getting only 9. They said some time mid to late next year.<p>: This is slightly off-topic, but isn't it amazing that 0.5% of Z8 customers in the US are posters on this board?<p>: Chris states that there will be 400 Z8's in the US this year, making him and Bob half a percent of that number... Just out of curiosity: are both of you guys expecting your cars this year?<p>: Lorenz<p></i>

William
04-12-2000, 02:21 AM
Since BMW is a mass production business, the built quality has to decrease in order to make thing work more efficient, which mean generating profit. Ferrari has the best quality and Aston Martin then Porsche. Think about the waiting list to get a Modena vs the Z8. Durability don't neassary mean build quality. Precision is build quality.

Jim Surdick
04-12-2000, 10:52 AM
No, I disagree. Semantics come into play whenever we address any philosophical subject, and the definition of a word or phrase along with the associated imagery that it represents within the psyche definitely falls within the philosophical arena. To me, "build quality" is the manufacturing of a product wherein the goal is to provide the highest level of customer satisfaction at the lowest possible levels of cost and maintenance. In this case I would have to state the Z8 would fit my definition more closely. However, I realize that is just my opinion, and you have yours. Isn't it great that we live in a society that allows us to have our own opinions and we are both right in our own minds?! <p>Jim Surdick<br>'92 Laguna Green 850i 6spd<br>BMWCCA#148638<p><br><i>: Since BMW is a mass production business, the built quality has to decrease in order to make thing work more efficient, which mean generating profit. Ferrari has the best quality and Aston Martin then Porsche. Think about the waiting list to get a Modena vs the Z8. Durability don't neassary mean build quality. Precision is build quality. <p></i>

PeteS
04-12-2000, 12:08 PM
I think we have a different definition of build quality. And durability definitely is part of the definition for me.<p>Personally, I see no appreciable difference the in apperant build quality of a Ferrari and a BMW. I have a 540 and it is put together perfectly. I've not seen a Ferrari or a Porsche that is put together better.<p>Anyway, I'm sure we still disagree and that's okay. I'll take a BMW over a Ferrari, AM or Porsche for build quality any day.<p>But for beauty or performance, that is obviously another story. I would not take a Z8 over a Modena or a Porsche Turbo.<p><i>: Since BMW is a mass production business, the built quality has to decrease in order to make thing work more efficient, which mean generating profit. Ferrari has the best quality and Aston Martin then Porsche. Think about the waiting list to get a Modena vs the Z8. Durability don't neassary mean build quality. Precision is build quality. <p></i>

Z8 Bob
04-12-2000, 08:03 PM
<i>IMHO Build quality is subjective. There are many that claim that for the money, Toyota builds the best most durable cars. They are fine cars, but I would never own a Lexus. It does nothing for me.<p>As to mass production, while the 3 series cars from BMW may fit the definition, the higher end cars do not. The M5 motors are basically assembled by hand by a single master mechanic. The Z8 not only has that motor but the rest of the car is essentially had built. I saw the first M5 unit delivered in Irvine, it had the custom interior package. I have never seen fit and finish any better on any modern automobile, including Aston, Bentley or Rolls (Connelly Hides and all). My personal view at the LA Auto show did not lead me to believe otherwise.<p>To paraphrase Jim, the good news is we can all agree to disagree. That is what this is really all about. If you asked Henrik Fisker (the cars designer) hed shrug and say: well this car is not for you.<p><br>: No, I disagree. Semantics come into play whenever we address any philosophical subject, and the definition of a word or phrase along with the associated imagery that it represents within the psyche definitely falls within the philosophical arena. To me, "build quality" is the manufacturing of a product wherein the goal is to provide the highest level of customer satisfaction at the lowest possible levels of cost and maintenance. In this case I would have to state the Z8 would fit my definition more closely. However, I realize that is just my opinion, and you have yours. Isn't it great that we live in a society that allows us to have our own opinions and we are both right in our own minds?! <p>: Jim Surdick<br>: '92 Laguna Green 850i 6spd<br>: BMWCCA#148638<p>: <br>: : Since BMW is a mass production business, the built quality has to decrease in order to make thing work more efficient, which mean generating profit. Ferrari has the best quality and Aston Martin then Porsche. Think about the waiting list to get a Modena vs the Z8. Durability don't neassary mean build quality. Precision is build quality. <p><br></i>

Z8 Bob
04-12-2000, 08:08 PM
<i>: My dealer is getting only 9. They said some time mid to late next year.<br>AS IS MINE, THE MOST ANY WILL GET IN THREE YEARS<br>#2 DELIVERED IN LATE FALL & #3 EARLY 2001<p>: : This is slightly off-topic, but isn't it amazing that 0.5% of Z8 customers in the US are posters on this board?<p>: : Chris states that there will be 400 Z8's in the US this year, making him and Bob half a percent of that number... Just out of curiosity: are both of you guys expecting your cars this year?<p>: : Lorenz<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index