Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : some questions about the Z8

05-22-2000, 02:03 PM
i was wondering if anyone knows of a site where i can go to find information on the BMW Z8. i am curious what its top speed is and what its 0-60 time is. please provide me with a website if possible. thankyou in advance.

VJ
05-22-2000, 08:19 PM
<i>: i was wondering if anyone knows of a site where i can go to find information on the BMW Z8. i am curious what its top speed is and what its 0-60 time is. please provide me with a website if possible. thankyou in advance.<p></i>

Z8 Bob
05-22-2000, 09:42 PM
By gentlemen's agreement to 250 KPH (155 MPH. This is the case with the M5 and Z8. BMW engineers claim without the electronic limiter the top speed is around 185 MPH.<p>Two official sites for complete info:<p>www.bmw.com<br>www.bmwusa.com<p>

Bruce
05-23-2000, 05:05 PM

GUNTHER
05-23-2000, 11:06 PM
<where i can go to find information on the BMW Z8. i am curious what its top speed is and what its 0-60 time is. please provide me with a website if possible. thankyou in advance.<p></i>

;-(
05-23-2000, 11:30 PM
<i>: .<p></i>

DC
05-24-2000, 07:46 PM
They can and do design and manufacture a car that outperforms anything that BMW offers for sale...that could be considered sufficient grounds for calling them a major manufacturer.

Z8 Bob
05-24-2000, 08:24 PM
beat the Porsche, so what? Your criteria could apply to any of the "tuners" as well.<br>None of these companies are "Major" car companies. BMW is the smallest of the Majors.<br> <br>If you think about it you may be able to figure out why MB, BMW, & VW speed limit their cars.<p>While we are on the subject, Not all Porsches beat all BMWs or MBs. My M Roadster eats Boxters. It is 0.1 sec slower than a 911 to 60 at half the price. The Z8 will blow the doors off a 911, the New Porsche Turbo will beat the Z8. but you would want to risk your pink slip against Ferrari & Lamborghini?<p>IMHO the Z8 is a very unigue car that I look forward to owning. I can put my top down, while you are cooped up in side YOUR turbo. <p>I won't be passing my self very often either;-)<br>

Bruce
05-25-2000, 06:29 PM
maybe i am in the minority

JP
05-26-2000, 03:25 AM
The AUDI RS2, MB 500E, fuel injection system for SEAT.......<p>is it not enough to make it a major company?<p>I had the chance to visit their factory........it is no nice to walk among Porsches only.....<br>........and to "wake up" with the horn of a 959 when u walk in the middle of their streets.....<p>Porsche CEO at this time was driving a dark blue 928 GTS,SHOCKING?? it was wednesday, maybe for the other days, it was another story.......<br>

JP
05-26-2000, 03:38 AM
<br>All the german companies were supposed to enter the so-called " Gentlemen Agreement" to speed limit their fastest cars at 155mph or 250Km/h.<p>Porsche was supposed to follow these rules.<p>But its case was different: Porsche is a race cars, sport cars manufacturer, its goals and principles are to build fast, safe, everyday driveable "race" cars........<br>their customers were expecting that from them......<p>At the court, Porsche lawyers said that, and added that if they make Porsche enter the gentlement agreement, the company will die......<p>short summary......though<p>sometimes people should think about speed limiting Ferrari, look at this poor F50.......<br>the crash made his owner lose most of his hair..his insurance helped him too!<p>http://www.nsxfiles.com/f50crash.htm<p>:)<p>Enjoy the Z8! <p>JP<p><p>

Rick Knizner
05-26-2000, 09:08 AM
...if you think your M roadster is only a tenth of a second slower to 60 than a 996.<p>Car & Driver have them .6 seconds apart.<p>4.9 vs. 5.5

Z8 Bob
05-26-2000, 11:01 AM
Road & Track<br>5.0 vs 5.1<p>SO WHAT?<p><br>Never tried the crack, I leave that to you.<p><br>

salt (m) - Afshin - 99 M Coupe
05-26-2000, 07:23 PM
<i>: ...if you think your M roadster is only a tenth of a second slower to 60 than a 996.<p>: Car & Driver have them .6 seconds apart.<p>: 4.9 vs. 5.5<p></i><p>Even if you just look at one magazine, each car they test is tested under different conditions, including:<br>* temperature<br>* altitude<br>* how many miles are on the car<br>* optional packages on the car (e.g. sports pkg)<br>* driver<p>So a 0.1 or even 0.5 sec difference is not enough to conclusively call one car faster than the other.

DC
05-26-2000, 10:31 PM
I never said it was my definition, I only suggested it as a possible criteria. You have yet to define your criteria for a manufacturer to be considered a "major". I also never claimed that that all Porsches beat all BMW's...and I was one of the first owners of a MRoadster when I took delivery in the summer of 1998 so I know all about those cars. The MRoadster is not .1 seconds slower than a 996....it isn't even as fast as a 993....I know, I own one of those too. I doubt the Z8 will "blow the doors off a 911" as the Z8 has been tested at a low of 4.5 seconds to 60MPH and the 996 has been tested at a low of 4.6 seconds to 60MPH....that is blowing the doors off?<p>Let's not even get into ragtops v.s. coupes - that has no bearing whatsoever on this topic.

= ) (eom)
05-28-2000, 02:27 PM
<i>: beat the Porsche, so what? Your criteria could apply to any of the "tuners" as well.<br>: None of these companies are "Major" car companies. BMW is the smallest of the Majors.<br>: <br>: If you think about it you may be able to figure out why MB, BMW, & VW speed limit their cars.<p>: While we are on the subject, Not all Porsches beat all BMWs or MBs. My M Roadster eats Boxters. It is 0.1 sec slower than a 911 to 60 at half the price. The Z8 will blow the doors off a 911, the New Porsche Turbo will beat the Z8. but you would want to risk your pink slip against Ferrari & Lamborghini?<p>: IMHO the Z8 is a very unigue car that I look forward to owning. I can put my top down, while you are cooped up in side YOUR turbo. <p>: I won't be passing my self very often either;-)<p></i>

TR4
05-29-2000, 01:30 AM
Major refers to the number of cars built, not the type or quality of cars built, you IDIOT. If you go to Germany you see thousands of Mercedes, BMW's and Audi's, but not too many Porsches. So pull your head out of your ***.<p><i>: They can and do design and manufacture a car that outperforms anything that BMW offers for sale...that could be considered sufficient grounds for calling them a major manufacturer.<p></i>

DC
05-29-2000, 08:17 AM
That is your definition, not everyone's.<p>

??? Its SMALL! MAX
05-30-2000, 07:59 AM
<i>: ...if you think your M roadster is only a tenth of a second slower to 60 than a 996.<p>: Car & Driver have them .6 seconds apart.<p>: 4.9 vs. 5.5<p></i>

Z8 Bob
05-30-2000, 04:56 PM
Not relevant since the thread was ALL MAJOR GERMAN CAR COMPANIES as signatories to the "Gentlemen’s Agreement"<p>To suggest that because a Small Specialty Car Company can build a car that beats BMW (or MBZ) models it is MAJOR is ludicrous since those companies have voluntarily restricted their cars' performance in the first place for EXACTLY that reason. They wanted to avoid “Speed Inflation”.<p><br>>I only suggested it as a possible criteria. and I was one of the first owners of a MRoadster when I took delivery in the summer of 1998 so I know all about those cars. <p>I took delivery of my M Roadster in May 98, wanna bet my VIN is lower? So What?<p><br>>Let's not even get into ragtops v.s. coupes - that has no bearing whatsoever on this topic.<p>Since this is a Z8 board and not a Porsche board, I suggest the any topic relating to the Z8 is relevant, while coupe issues or Porsche issues are not.<br>

DC
05-30-2000, 10:46 PM
You have yet to provide a definition as to what constitutes a MAJOR v.s. a non-MAJOR company. I stipulate that based on PERFORMANCE....Porsche is a major manufacturer.<p><br>: To suggest that because a Small Specialty Car Company can build a car that beats BMW (or MBZ) models it is MAJOR is ludicrous since those companies have voluntarily restricted their cars' performance in the first place for EXACTLY that reason. They wanted to avoid “Speed Inflation”.<p>***I suggested that definition as a possibility...it is a valid arguement as these companies only volunteered to limit TOP SPEED...not any other performance characteristic.<p><br>: I took delivery of my M Roadster in May 98, wanna bet my VIN is lower? So What?<p>***So nada - I mentioned it to establish the fact that I also am familar with the M Roadster.<p>: Since this is a Z8 board and not a Porsche board, I suggest the any topic relating to the Z8 is relevant, while coupe issues or Porsche issues are not.<p>***Hmmm....I suggest that as a comparison this thread (and it's Porsche content) is relevant. In any event, it is not your decision to make.

GeorgeK
06-04-2000, 02:37 PM
.<i><br></i>

Randy
06-10-2000, 05:07 PM
and no i wont enjoy my z8 because your a stupid show off ok? stop being a smart alex mr. know it all! huh?<p><i>: <br>: All the german companies were supposed to enter the so-called " Gentlemen Agreement" to speed limit their fastest cars at 155mph or 250Km/h.<p>: Porsche was supposed to follow these rules.<p>: But its case was different: Porsche is a race cars, sport cars manufacturer, its goals and principles are to build fast, safe, everyday driveable "race" cars........<br>: their customers were expecting that from them......<p>: At the court, Porsche lawyers said that, and added that if they make Porsche enter the gentlement agreement, the company will die......<p>: short summary......though<p>: sometimes people should think about speed limiting Ferrari, look at this poor F50.......<br>: the crash made his owner lose most of his hair..his insurance helped him too!<p>: http://www.nsxfiles.com/f50crash.htm<p>: :)<p>: Enjoy the Z8! <p>: JP<p></i>

Mick
07-20-2000, 08:00 AM
<i>: <p>: sometimes people should think about speed limiting Ferrari, look at this poor F50.......<br>: the crash made his owner lose most of his hair..his insurance helped him too!<p>: http://www.nsxfiles.com/f50crash.htm<p></i><p>I noticed there're no airbags in that F50...

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index