Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : simple question

Riz
06-16-2000, 03:32 PM
I just browsed my way into this site. I understand this Z8 is a great car. But my simple question is, why would you (the Z8 owner) feel the need to spend this much money for a car ??

James Hickerson
06-16-2000, 03:40 PM
I drove the car in February for European Car magazine. The car is ridged as hell.Couldn't believe it was a convertable(not a convert fan). Fun over all doing 100 yard long burn outs,but i would never spend the money on one. Lucky I get to play in these cars first with out dropping a dime.

Bruce
06-16-2000, 06:03 PM
<i>: But my simple question is, why would you (the Z8 owner) feel the need to spend this much money for a car ??</i><p>Why would you spend 12k on a Honda Civic? <p>Because you can.

Einstein
06-19-2000, 06:29 AM
<i>: I just browsed my way into this site. I understand this Z8 is a great car. But my simple question is, why would you (the Z8 owner) feel the need to spend this much money for a car ??<p></i><p>The answer is simple- its all relative!<p>What kind of suit do you wear? A $200 suit gives you the functionality of a $4000 suit - yet I can have 20 $200 suits for that one $4000 suit.<p>a hyundai gives you the functionality of a rolls royce- you get the idea.<p>there is nothing wrong with thinking- this is too much money to spend on a car- that means you are not the target buyer, after all its not like bmw is making 300,000 z8s. they are making a small number. <p>There also nothing wrong with thinking that the price is absolutely fair. some people have a passion for these things. <p>It is my wish that the worst problem we face is the decision on what is too much money to spend on a car.<p>cheers!

Mark Cole
06-20-2000, 04:55 AM
<i>: I drove the car in February for European Car magazine. The car is ridged as hell.Couldn't believe it was a convertable(not a convert fan). Fun over all doing 100 yard long burn outs,but i would never spend the money on one. Lucky I get to play in these cars first with out dropping a dime.<p></i> <br>You are quite lucky to get to drive cars like that all of the time, w/out the usually nec. dough. However if any writing were required... I'm sure you would use spell check on the word convertible. <br>Which by the way, I am very fond of! That is very strange for a person who enjoys cars as much as I would imagine that you do to be in that line of work. Anyway, lucky you!

Mark Cole
06-20-2000, 04:56 AM
<i>: : I drove the car in February for European Car magazine. The car is ridged as hell.Couldn't believe it was a convertable(not a convert fan). Fun over all doing 100 yard long burn outs,but i would never spend the money on one. Lucky I get to play in these cars first with out dropping a dime.<p>: <br>: You are quite lucky to get to drive cars like that all of the time, w/out the usually nec. dough. However if any writing were required... I'm sure you would use spell check on the word convertible. <br>: Which by the way, I am very fond of! That is very strange for a person who enjoys cars as much as I would imagine that you do to be in that line of work. Anyway, lucky you!<p><br></i>

Jim Surdick
06-20-2000, 01:20 PM
The same question could be asked of ANY purchase. <p>Jim Surdick<br>'92 Laguna Green 850i 6spd (Z8 wannabe)

vertius
06-21-2000, 04:11 PM
I will probably never afford a Z8, but for the people who can, God bless you. I can only speculate that you can drive the Z8 harder without worrying about it falling apart, like a Ferrari.<p><br>'98 M3 Sedan

James Hickerson
06-21-2000, 04:38 PM
So you got me on my spelling ability. Now lets see what you can do on my driving ability. I might make a mistake or two spelling, but you will not see that happen on the track. Just to comment on the "convertibles" (thanks for the help), I just not a fan. I don't even like sunroofs. No big deal, it is all personal preference. I do think the Z8 performed well. It is just not my style of car. I think the new Porsche Turbo is a better car for my needs or maybe the new M3. Either way, I will remember to use spell checker. haha Take care

ZCurious Cat
06-21-2000, 05:13 PM
James,<br>If I could get your magazine here in the USA Id go out and get it to read your full thoughts. If you wouldnt mind, could you give us your impressions. I appreciate your candor about the Z8, in particular the chasis stiffness. was it more like a GT car, in that it feels a little heavy and has a lot of mass; or is it more like a true sports car in that its very fast to react and feels very nimble? Just trying to get the idea of the driving experience over the net in words- I know thats hard to do. THanks again.<p>Cat

James Hickerson
06-25-2000, 07:19 PM
The magazine is based here in the US. Most bookstores carry it. There was about 10 Z8's here in the US for the press fleet. They were only here for two weeks though. I only had the car for one day, but I spent my day in the canyons. So I did get to feel the cars handling ability. I have to say the car didn't feel as heavy as I thought it would. It was very nimble for the size and the weight of the car. Where I was driving there is a few tight corners the cut back and forth. I could pitch the car one way the just snap it into the following corner. That is where I noticed just how stiff it is. Really worked well. I have spent a lot of time in Porsches and I must say a Porsche cab isn't even close to as stiff as the Z8. Plus the torque of that motor is nice. It pulled strong in every gear. You don't have to waste time shifting; you can just pull the gear. For a few of the pictures I was sliding around a corner that was a fast sweeper, I could set it sideways about 60 mph and keep it there for about 100 feet. Car has the typical BMW feel with a perfect weight distribution. I did have fun in the car; it just isn't my style of car. I am on the cover on the new BMW Power. The article is the one that ran in European Car mag. Shows some of the burnouts etc. Sorry if I couldn't give you more feed back. I drive so many cars it gets tough breaking down each of them. My experience is mostly a motorcycle road racing background, so most cars sort of leave me a tad bored. Not saying I don't enjoy driving them, but nothing feels better then dragging your knee around 140mph corner. My choice of cars is Ford Cossies, Skylines, M3's, etc. I don't think you can go wrong buying a Z8 if you have the money. Plus it wasn't hard getting looks in the Z8. Hope I could help.<p>James Hickerson ([email protected])

Mick
07-19-2000, 09:19 AM
If you write for an American magazine, then I think I should be able to take your job easily. Don't take this personally, but from what I've read of your writing, your syntax and punctuation would have me believe that your editors are working overtime for you (and that you're related to the owner of said mag).<p>I'm not saying I'm any sort of an English language professor, but...<p>Who do you work for anyway? I have, at times, considered a career change towards automotive journalism.<p>

James
07-20-2000, 01:17 PM
I didn't say I was a writer, I said I was a driver. Pay Attention. I do action driving for 5 different publication companies, tire manufactures, a few GT2 teams, as well as racing fulltime. Not claiming to have ANY writing ability. I do know that I enjoy myself more then any writer though. But I do hope it works out for you. Take care.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index