Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle status

Z8 Don
07-13-2000, 11:45 AM
The BMW 'internal status report' for my car, indicates " Import produced but not shipped ". This has been its status for over 3 weeks at this point. What does this status indicate ? It was in status 155 since the end of May until it changed to its current status. Is the car still sitting at the factory pending shipment to the port ? Does anyone know why the delivery pipeline seems to be flowing so slowly ? If this were a ' normal' BMW , I understand that shipment takes about 3-4 weeks factory to east coast dealer making a delivery to my dealer by mid to late June. Obviously the Z8 is not a 'normal' BMW ! What gives?

Z8 Bob
07-13-2000, 01:24 PM
Don,<p>My car was in this status from March 12 until early June and arrived Oxnard 7/10. The summary report that you refer to is less detailed than the vehicle inquiry which has more detail. I never learned why it was in "limbo" so long other than comments like "it takes 10 times as long to build a Z8 as a 320" and "they are fixing minor items."<p>I believe that you should expect to wait six weeks from the initial production week before you can expect the car to go to the dock. It can sit another week to 10 days before loading and departure. From there it is two weeks to NJ.<p>Hope this helps.<p>Bob<p><i>: The BMW 'internal status report' for my car, indicates " Import produced but not shipped ". This has been its status for over 3 weeks at this point. What does this status indicate ? It was in status 155 since the end of May until it changed to its current status. Is the car still sitting at the factory pending shipment to the port ? Does anyone know why the delivery pipeline seems to be flowing so slowly ? If this were a ' normal' BMW , I understand that shipment takes about 3-4 weeks factory to east coast dealer making a delivery to my dealer by mid to late June. Obviously the Z8 is not a 'normal' BMW ! What gives?<p></i>

Z8 Bob
07-13-2000, 06:28 PM
I just got back from meeting with the dealer and the Regional SVP for Western US. There are six Z8s at Oxnard. Mine is the only one for Orange County. There are two other shipments in route, 6 on one and 8 on the other due in over the next few weeks, #2 on July 31. No cars are to be delivered until the 7/31 shipment clears customs.<p>In the Western US we are looking at first week in August before dealer delivery. I assume it is the same for all of the US.<p>Bob

Z8 Don
07-13-2000, 07:35 PM
There is something BMW is not saying. Delay after delay ! Why? It made sense that the east coast / west coast release was synchronized and certainly 8-12 cars on both coasts should have satisfied major dealers on both coasts but now a new date of 7/31? Why not wait for 200 or so for both coasts so everybody that ordered cars for year 2000 can have them at the same time ! I probably should not have said that as it may give them ideas. Hopefuly , political correctness has not gone this far.<p>My hunch is there is a mechanical problem that is precluding the release of the cars. BMW is shipping a limited number of units to have some in the pipeline and will retrofit whatever is needed at the VPC when the part[s] are shipable. They most likely do not want to many cars sitting at the ports that can not be moved to safer locations. Munich most likely can store cars more securely and also can 'fix' cars more rapidly when the parts are in hand. These are just my thoughts, I have not heard anything first hand. The forum has noted a car that is on the road in Canada. It is perhaps a Company car but one other thought is that the part[s] are needed for USA import [ marker lights, tail lights , etc.]. There is a forum participant from Great Britain that has his car. The USA market seems to be the only problem delivery market.<p>Any thoughts are welcome.

but it's not mechanical
07-13-2000, 11:24 PM
<i>: There is something BMW is not saying. Delay after delay ! Why? It made sense that the east coast / west coast release was synchronized and certainly 8-12 cars on both coasts should have satisfied major dealers on both coasts but now a new date of 7/31? Why not wait for 200 or so for both coasts so everybody that ordered cars for year 2000 can have them at the same time ! I probably should not have said that as it may give them ideas. Hopefuly , political correctness has not gone this far.<p>: My hunch is there is a mechanical problem that is precluding the release of the cars. BMW is shipping a limited number of units to have some in the pipeline and will retrofit whatever is needed at the VPC when the part[s] are shipable. They most likely do not want to many cars sitting at the ports that can not be moved to safer locations. Munich most likely can store cars more securely and also can 'fix' cars more rapidly when the parts are in hand. These are just my thoughts, I have not heard anything first hand. The forum has noted a car that is on the road in Canada. It is perhaps a Company car but one other thought is that the part[s] are needed for USA import [ marker lights, tail lights , etc.]. There is a forum participant from Great Britain that has his car. The USA market seems to be the only problem delivery market.<p>: Any thoughts are welcome.<p></i>

lucky
07-14-2000, 04:10 AM
<i>: : There is something BMW is not saying. Delay after delay ! Why? It made sense that the east coast / west coast release was synchronized and certainly 8-12 cars on both coasts should have satisfied major dealers on both coasts but now a new date of 7/31? Why not wait for 200 or so for both coasts so everybody that ordered cars for year 2000 can have them at the same time ! I probably should not have said that as it may give them ideas. Hopefuly , political correctness has not gone this far.<p>: : My hunch is there is a mechanical problem that is precluding the release of the cars. BMW is shipping a limited number of units to have some in the pipeline and will retrofit whatever is needed at the VPC when the part[s] are shipable. They most likely do not want to many cars sitting at the ports that can not be moved to safer locations. Munich most likely can store cars more securely and also can 'fix' cars more rapidly when the parts are in hand. These are just my thoughts, I have not heard anything first hand. The forum has noted a car that is on the road in Canada. It is perhaps a Company car but one other thought is that the part[s] are needed for USA import [ marker lights, tail lights , etc.]. There is a forum participant from Great Britain that has his car. The USA market seems to be the only problem delivery market.<p>: : Any thoughts are welcome.<p></i>

Delphine
07-17-2000, 02:32 AM
<i>: : : There is something BMW is not saying. Delay after delay ! Why? It made sense that the east coast / west coast release was synchronized and certainly 8-12 cars on both coasts should have satisfied major dealers on both coasts but now a new date of 7/31? Why not wait for 200 or so for both coasts so everybody that ordered cars for year 2000 can have them at the same time ! I probably should not have said that as it may give them ideas. Hopefuly , political correctness has not gone this far.<p>: : : My hunch is there is a mechanical problem that is precluding the release of the cars. BMW is shipping a limited number of units to have some in the pipeline and will retrofit whatever is needed at the VPC when the part[s] are shipable. They most likely do not want to many cars sitting at the ports that can not be moved to safer locations. Munich most likely can store cars more securely and also can 'fix' cars more rapidly when the parts are in hand. These are just my thoughts, I have not heard anything first hand. The forum has noted a car that is on the road in Canada. It is perhaps a Company car but one other thought is that the part[s] are needed for USA import [ marker lights, tail lights , etc.]. There is a forum participant from Great Britain that has his car. The USA market seems to be the only problem delivery market.<p>: : : Any thoughts are welcome.<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index