Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Rob
11-03-2001, 09:20 PM
Hi,<br>I'm interested in buying a XJS (1990 - 1995) but I have heard they are in the repair shop a lot. Is this true? Are they any less reliable then most cars? I would appreciate the feedback.<br>Thanks, <br>Rob

Jim H.
11-04-2001, 12:09 AM
My wife paid $29,000.00 for a "94" XJS with a 4.0 6 in it and it had 27,000 miles on it at the time, that was more the most of the 12's we saw. Hope that help's.<p>Jim H.<p>Hi,<br>I'm interested in buying a XJS (1990 - 1995) but I have heard they are in the repair shop a lot. Is this true? Are they any less reliable then most cars? I would appreciate the feedback.<br>Thanks, <br>Rob<p></i><br>

keith
11-06-2001, 07:54 AM
<i><br>Hi,<br>I'm interested in buying a XJS (1990 - 1995) but I have heard they are in the repair shop a lot. Is this true? Are they any less reliable then most cars? I would appreciate the feedback.<br>Thanks, <br>Rob<p> Rob, we have a 1991 xjs v12 with 35k miles, the only things we have done are fix leaking AC hoses and the AAV valve. Its a great car.<p></i>

Chris
11-06-2001, 09:59 AM
it could be said that certainly the v12 is less reliable... if you dont look after it. if you want a reliable car definately go for one of the 6 cylinder engines, the later the better.

Clay H.
11-10-2001, 01:16 PM
Most of the bad rap Jags have for repair frequency was garnered from pre-Ford involvement. <br>The XJS chassis is built like a tank, and the engine (especially the 4.0 liter 6 cyl AJ6 or later AJ16) while not all that torquey and powerful for a car of this weight (see Jim H's comments on another post) is as reliable as anything else out there. Ford's QC cleaned up Jaguar's (let's face it, any English cars) previous electrical issues such that post '92 Jags are are least as reliable as your average Ford as long as you do the regular maintenance. <p>I have a '94 coupe (4.0 6 cyl) that I bought used a few years back with 24k miles. I just got to 60k and to date my only non-standard maintenance has been replacing a brake rotor (which I think got warped due to a chronically underinflated tire which casued the car to pull right under heavy braking). <p>My advice would be the same as anyone's;<br>Get the latest model, best maintained, lowest mileage car you can afford and make sure you perform the regular maintenance. If you want the extra power of the 12 cyl, be prepared to pay more for the maintenance and, if it ever requires anything major, substantially more for the repairs. <p>My personal opinion is that there's really not much to be afraid of with the later models (but don't tell anyone, it keeps the resale value down and I may want to buy my convertible soon ;>)<p>Hope this helps.<p>Clay H.<p><br><i><br>My wife paid $29,000.00 for a "94" XJS with a 4.0 6 in it and it had 27,000 miles on it at the time, that was more the most of the 12's we saw. Hope that help's.<p>Jim H.<p>Hi,<br>I'm interested in buying a XJS (1990 - 1995) but I have heard they are in the repair shop a lot. Is this true? Are they any less reliable then most cars? I would appreciate the feedback.<br>Thanks, <br>Rob<p><br></i><br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index