Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Andre
12-31-2001, 06:11 AM
Hello,<p>On my XKR from 2000, i still have the original Pirelli tires, but i am not so happy with these. They make a lot of noise, and are very hard (and very sensative). Probably this is something you would want if you are looking for racing, but then i would have choosen a Porsche rather then a Jaguar. The ride i prefer should be smooth, but still there should be some reserve for letting the cat free.<p>Currently i have Pirelly 210 snowtires on it, and funny enough, these give me much more smoothnes and a quiter ride (usualy winter tires should make more noise). Of course these are not tires for the summer, and i do understand that these tires are not for a cat to be let loose.<p>My Jaguar dealer say's that Jaguar has changed the tire type from Pirelli to Continental. Unfortunalty when i browse the web, i do not see many positive comments about Continental Tires (i do not know which type).<p>So now i am looking for other tires, and my eyes have caugth the Bridgestone Potenza S03 tires (245/45/18 Front and 255/45/18 Back).<p>Dos anyone have experience with this tire ? or with other Tires. And what sort of driving style have you used ?<p>Thanks,<br>Andre.<br>

Jeff Cline
12-31-2001, 11:42 AM
Hello Andre,<br> I have a 97 XK8. I too felt the Pirelli's were too hard. I switched to Continental "ContiSportContactT" tires that were taken off of a new 2001 XK8. The fronts are 245/45 on 8" wide wheels, and the rears are 255/45 on 9" wide wheels. The wheels are 18" in diameter. When the car had Pirelli's, I felt the car rode too stiffly, like a sports car. The problem (in my opinion) is that my car is a sporty luxury convertible, not a sports car, so the suspension felt too harsh. This isn't a ZO6 Corvette after all. With the Pirelli's the car would jump on expansion joints in the road, or small bumps. With the Continentals, the car feels firmly planted on the ground but doesn't shimmy or shake down the road over small road irregularities. The car finally drives like what I want from a sports luxury car. I can take the car on dates without shaking my date to pieces :-).<p>I'd be interested to hear what bad things you've heard about the Continentals in case I need to be worried. They have been great in the rain or heat, I'll by them again.<p>Jeff<br><i><br>Hello,<p>On my XKR from 2000, i still have the original Pirelli tires, but i am not so happy with these. They make a lot of noise, and are very hard (and very sensative). Probably this is something you would want if you are looking for racing, but then i would have choosen a Porsche rather then a Jaguar. The ride i prefer should be smooth, but still there should be some reserve for letting the cat free.<p>Currently i have Pirelly 210 snowtires on it, and funny enough, these give me much more smoothnes and a quiter ride (usualy winter tires should make more noise). Of course these are not tires for the summer, and i do understand that these tires are not for a cat to be let loose.<p>My Jaguar dealer say's that Jaguar has changed the tire type from Pirelli to Continental. Unfortunalty when i browse the web, i do not see many positive comments about Continental Tires (i do not know which type).<p>So now i am looking for other tires, and my eyes have caugth the Bridgestone Potenza S03 tires (245/45/18 Front and 255/45/18 Back).<p>Dos anyone have experience with this tire ? or with other Tires. And what sort of driving style have you used ?<p>Thanks,<br>Andre.<p></i><br>

Justin
01-02-2002, 03:49 PM
... are typically made out of a softer compound. This will contribute to a smoother and quieter ride. Now, if you had <i>studded</i> snow tires, you would be talking about a whole different situation! That can be loud.<p>Remember, "softer" compound performance tires are more for sprinting and short intervals of motorsports. Harder compounds often need to be warmed up with a couple hot laps to get them up to temperature. Thus, the difference from true track tires and autocross tires.<p>Justin

Andre
01-03-2002, 12:58 PM
Hi Jeff,<p>Thanks for you response, i think we can relate somewhat in our apreciation of the Car.<p>It is not that i have bad information about the Continental tire, it has more to do with the very positive reviews the Bridgestone Potenza S03 tire gets. Another source for information would be www.tirerack.com, and when i the compare results eventhough these are very subjective, the feel is more towards the Bridgestone tire then the Continental.<p>BR/Andre.<br>

Andre
01-03-2002, 01:10 PM
Hello Justin,<p>Thanks for the information; it has given me a much better inside now.<p>One of the biggest problems I have with my tires is the noise. It is hard to explain, but it starts coming from the front at around 25 MPH, until around 55MPH. The best you hear it is around 30-35 MPH. It's something like a very high pitch grinding noise. The volume of noise can be different depending on the road conditions and I also think on temperature. At first I thought it where the bearings in the front wheels, as I also thought I felt the noise a little bit from my steering wheel. As my wheel bearings have been replaced (there was a known problem with these, I think they where originally to narrow??) and my Jaguar dealer could hear anything coming from the bearings, we waited until I put on the winter tires to be sure. But what made me a bit suspicious, is that they to heard the noise, and also thought it could have something to do with the bearings. Also, I only hear the noise coming from the front, not from the back.<p>What would you make out of this?<p>BR/Andre.<br>

Mark
01-04-2002, 03:02 AM
Hi Jeff,<p>what's about the noise level of your Conti? Are they quieter than the Pirelli or louder? What else can you say about them compared together?<p>Mark

Jeff Cline
01-04-2002, 02:37 PM
Hi Mark,<br> Unfortunately I never paid much attention to the road noise from the Pirelli's because I usually have the radio on and/or the top down. This morning after reading your question, I had an occasion to drive 100 miles around the city of Houston, Texas (USA) so I left the radio off and top up to listen for road noise with the Continentals. The noise from the tires is about the same as the wind noise over the closed convertible top, at 80 MPH. This was on cement and asphalt freeways, without any grooves in the road. I don't know if that helps much but there you go.<p>Now, I've recently been told that the only tire available for the stock 17" wheels on the XK8 as a direct replacemente are the Pirelli's. After hearing this I searched Continental's web site and sure enough they don't list the size that originally came on my stock 17" wheels - 245/50. (my Continentals came on the optional 2001 XK8 18" wheels).<p>As far as what else I can say about the Continentals, well they ride softer than the Pirelli's even though I've got less side wall on the Contis. The car handles just as well in day-to-day driving - and I'm an aggressive driver, more prone to double-clutching and downshifting instead of breaking for a sharp turn (when in a car with a clutch of course) and I don't drive this car any easier. They seem to wear better than the Pirelli's so far, although I've only got 6,000 miles on them. I don't know how long they will last, as I only drive 6,000 miles a year anyway. I can tell you that even if I had to buy them every year, it would be worth it to me, they are that much nicer than the Pirelli's. (IMHO of course). I've always felt safely planted on the ground, rain or shine. <p>My best suggestion is to go test drive a 2001, since these tires come on the new Jags.<p>Jeff<p><i><br>Hi Jeff,<p>what's about the noise level of your Conti? Are they quieter than the Pirelli or louder? What else can you say about them compared together?<p>Mark<p></i><br>

geekysteve
01-27-2002, 11:14 AM
On my friend's 2001 XKR SilverStone, he switched from the stock Pirelli "hockey pucks" (those things were useless) to some Potenze S02's. <p>I located them at the tirerack for under $200 each! (20" wheels) The Potenza's are an excellent tire - huge improvement over the Pirelli's. Much quieter, better ride, better handling. Highly recommend them.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index