Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Matt
01-14-2002, 12:07 PM
I own a 2001 XKR and am looking to do air intake/filter and exhaust upgrades but haven't found much help. Does anyone have some URL's to order such things and any recommendations as far as brands go. I had a 2000 vetter before and these were way easy to find but a little tougher with the XKR. Thanks folks.

Jeff Cline
01-15-2002, 12:19 AM
Hi, you might try the link I've attached. They have air filtration and exhaust systems, but bring a bucket of money for the exhaust.....<p>Jeff<p><i><br>I own a 2001 XKR and am looking to do air intake/filter and exhaust upgrades but haven't found much help. Does anyone have some URL's to order such things and any recommendations as far as brands go. I had a 2000 vetter before and these were way easy to find but a little tougher with the XKR. Thanks folks.<p></i><br>

Justin
01-15-2002, 08:17 AM
... once I get a hold of my brother0in-laws digicam. Mine was a custom modification adapting a universal K&N cone. It offers much more surface area than the intake shown in the prior link. ALthough I am a big fan of foam elements over paper, the K&N type is readily available and worked well in my track car.<p>Total cost: $25. <br>Total time to install: 30 minutes.<p>At first, I wasn't sure the increase was all that substantial. However, since then I have tested by swapping filters back and forth... now that the ECU is calibrated I can honestly say that there is a <i>very </i> noticeable difference in performance. The compromise is engine noise.<p>A foam element like the one shown in the link reduces such noise as compared to a K&N style element. However, as you might expect, this comes with less relative flow.<p>Not on my Xk, but on my Eclipse track car, the K&N intake dynoed an extra 11 wheel hp.<p>Justin

Justin
01-15-2002, 08:17 AM
... once I get a hold of my brother0in-laws digicam. Mine was a custom modification adapting a universal K&N cone. It offers much more surface area than the intake shown in the prior link. ALthough I am a big fan of foam elements over paper, the K&N type is readily available and worked well in my track car.<p>Total cost: $25. <br>Total time to install: 30 minutes.<p>At first, I wasn't sure the increase was all that substantial. However, since then I have tested by swapping filters back and forth... now that the ECU is calibrated I can honestly say that there is a <i>very </i> noticeable difference in performance. The compromise is engine noise.<p>A foam element like the one shown in the link reduces such noise as compared to a K&N style element. However, as you might expect, this comes with less relative flow.<p>Not on my Xk, but on my Eclipse track car, the K&N intake dynoed an extra 11 wheel hp.<p>Justin

Jeff Cline
01-15-2002, 10:19 PM
For what it's worth, the foam element in the link I posted increased the engine noise under the hood of my XK8, and I like the new sound very much. I can't compare it to K&N though, don't know if K&N is louder than the foam element or not.<p>Jeff<br><i><br>... once I get a hold of my brother0in-laws digicam. Mine was a custom modification adapting a universal K&N cone. It offers much more surface area than the intake shown in the prior link. ALthough I am a big fan of foam elements over paper, the K&N type is readily available and worked well in my track car.<p>Total cost: $25. <br>Total time to install: 30 minutes.<p>At first, I wasn't sure the increase was all that substantial. However, since then I have tested by swapping filters back and forth... now that the ECU is calibrated I can honestly say that there is a very noticeable difference in performance. The compromise is engine noise.<p>A foam element like the one shown in the link reduces such noise as compared to a K&N style element. However, as you might expect, this comes with less relative flow.<p>Not on my Xk, but on my Eclipse track car, the K&N intake dynoed an extra 11 wheel hp.<p>Justin<p></i><br>

Justin
01-16-2002, 08:03 AM
Any noticeable difference? I am still trying to decide if whether or not to have a local shop build a system for me.<p>Justin

Jeff Cline
01-21-2002, 01:40 PM
Hi Justin,<br> No I didn't do an exhaust upgrade. I had wanted to do something to give the car a more healthy sound but the exhaust I was looking at was out of my range for a "nice to have" item. I found that the addition of the air filter I mentioned solved my need for more engine sound. At the risk of offending a lot of people here, I just didn't like the whisper-quiet acceleration of the XK8. I grew up on big GM engines and just like to hear something when I floor it. <p>I'm interested in pics of your custom intake.<p> On my headliner question a while back, I got out to a dealer and looked at their cars and I can see what you mean about the rolled edge. Mine is just the simple headining material glued in place and smoothly folded over the edge of the oval opening.<p>Jeff<br><i><br>Any noticeable difference? I am still trying to decide if whether or not to have a local shop build a system for me.<p>Justin<p></i><br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index