Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Condensation inside headlight cover

ajax
03-19-2002, 06:13 PM
I have a constant problem with moisture on the inside of the the right headlight pod cover on my 1997 XK8. Since the bulbs are changed from inside the engine compartment, it's not obvious how this happened (missing weather-stripping?)or how it's fixed. Any thoughts?

Jeff Cline
03-19-2002, 07:58 PM
It's a chronic problem I have on my own car (left headlight) and have seen dozens of XK8's for sale on E-bay with condensation in the headlight. I don't have a clue how it really gets in there, but I deal with it by removing the 6 sided clear piece from the top of the light assembly behind the lense (have to open the hood to see it) and let the headlight air out over night.<p>I've asked my dealer to fix it twice. Twice they've done things they wouldn't document to fix it, the end result of course is I still have the problem 2 years later. <p>Oh, I have a 97 XK8, perhaps it has been solved in newer cars?<p>Jeff<br><i><br>I have a constant problem with moisture on the inside of the the right headlight pod cover on my 1997 XK8. Since the bulbs are changed from inside the engine compartment, it's not obvious how this happened (missing weather-stripping?)or how it's fixed. Any thoughts?<p></i><br>

A Kinsey
03-19-2002, 10:46 PM
Recently bought a 97 with the same problem. It is very humid here in the Houston area and corrosion had developed inside the lens. Decided to get a new one - $700 I may find another solution if it happens again!!!<br><i><br>It's a chronic problem I have on my own car (left headlight) and have seen dozens of XK8's for sale on E-bay with condensation in the headlight. I don't have a clue how it really gets in there, but I deal with it by removing the 6 sided clear piece from the top of the light assembly behind the lense (have to open the hood to see it) and let the headlight air out over night.<p>I've asked my dealer to fix it twice. Twice they've done things they wouldn't document to fix it, the end result of course is I still have the problem 2 years later. <p>Oh, I have a 97 XK8, perhaps it has been solved in newer cars?<p>Jeff<p>I have a constant problem with moisture on the inside of the the right headlight pod cover on my 1997 XK8. Since the bulbs are changed from inside the engine compartment, it's not obvious how this happened (missing weather-stripping?)or how it's fixed. Any thoughts?<p><br></i><br>

Morbo
03-20-2002, 10:30 PM
<br>Speaking of the lights. The design intrigues me. There are two main bulbs and then one almost like a flashlight/torch bulb in the corner of the light fixture. What is that little bulb used for? It doesn't emit much light.<p>Morbo

Ron Johnson
03-20-2002, 11:16 PM
<i><br>I have a constant problem with moisture on the inside of the the right headlight pod cover on my 1997 XK8. Since the bulbs are changed from inside the engine compartment, it's not obvious how this happened (missing weather-stripping?)or how it's fixed. Any thoughts?<p></i><br>I think we have come across a chronic problem with the headlamp design. I would be interested to know who does not have condensation gather in their headlamps.

Justin
03-21-2002, 10:31 AM

Digi
03-21-2002, 04:37 PM
and it is normal if you use a high pressure wash. There is a vent hole that allow the heat generated from the lights to escape, and that heat also should burn off any moisture that may have entered due to high humidity and temperature changes, or presure wash. It should burn off quickly, and it should not be chronic. If it is chronic, you have a problem, unless the other answer is to not spray high pressure water on the lights.<p>I have a garage kept 97 XK8, and do not have a problem, although they have fogged a couple of times.

Digi
03-23-2002, 04:24 PM
When parking lights are on, it looks really good. Just an added touch of extra light.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index