Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading the factory Stereo System

Jason Dickens
10-26-2001, 03:18 PM
Has anyone had their factory stereo system upgraded in their XJ8? If so please share with me your upgrades. I am interested in upgrading the system in my XJ8 but I do not want to change the head unit. I would like to begin by adding a small subwoofer to do reproduce the bass in the music and leave the door speakers to the mid's and highs.

Bill
10-29-2001, 10:25 PM
<i><br>Has anyone had their factory stereo system upgraded in their XJ8? If so please share with me your upgrades. I am interested in upgrading the system in my XJ8 but I do not want to change the head unit. I would like to begin by adding a small subwoofer to do reproduce the bass in the music and leave the door speakers to the mid's and highs.<p></i><p>The XJ8s have a pretty complicated (and sensitive) electrical system but it has been done and can be done.<p>You want to find a shop that can work on a car with multiplex wiring. Basically, what I would do is simple.<p>Line-Level Amplifier (Say 4chX50watts RMS)<br>Component Speakers (Good ones.. like MB Quarts)<p>Subwoofer... Aiiee... Tough one. Especially when you consider that the gas tank is above the rear suspension, behind the rear seats... <p>Bill<br>

Darin
12-22-2001, 12:50 AM
Be very careful in adding components to any post 97 Jag. The multiplex wiring networks can be very difficult to deal with and can screw a lot up! If you are not changing the head unit, you should be OK, but be very careful...you can cause yourself and your dealer a lot of expensive headaches!

Reinaldo
01-08-2002, 06:07 PM
Hi!<br>I own a 98 XJ8L and I would like to be able to upgrade the sound system. I do understand that replacing the head unit can create a lot of electrical, complicated, headaches. However, I'm electronically inclined and I would love to get my hands on a schematic diagram to see what can be done before disconnecting anything. Would you, or anybody reading this note, know where, or how I could get electrical diagrams for a '98 Jag?<br>The dealers do not sell any shop books on the new models. I'd appreciate any info.<p>Reinaldo<p><br><i><br>Be very careful in adding components to any post 97 Jag. The multiplex wiring networks can be very difficult to deal with and can screw a lot up! If you are not changing the head unit, you should be OK, but be very careful...you can cause yourself and your dealer a lot of expensive headaches!<p></i><br>

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index