Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : F-Type engine options?

Petri Ojala
09-11-2001, 11:56 PM
What is the current rumor on the engine options for the F-Type?<p>I currently own an XK8 Coupe and I was thinking of giving the local Jaguar dealer a "pre-order" to replace the XK8 with the F-Type..<br>

Alan
09-12-2001, 04:43 PM
...that the F-type would be mid-engined! I can't recall what the rumored engine was going to be, however.<p>From everything I have heard, the F-type is intended to compete with the BMW Z3 and Porsche Boxster rather than being an XK8 replacement. If this is indeed the case, I would think that economies of scale might lead Jaguar to at first offer the X-Type's 2.5 and 3.0 liter engines as options, with perhaps a higher-performance engine option later. I suspect that the XK8 will also be replaced around the same time as the introduction of the F-type with something similarly exciting.<p><br>Alan

FS
09-19-2001, 06:04 AM
Was at the IAA Motorshow in Frankfurt yesterday and saw what may possibly be the replacement <br>for the XKs: Jaguar Roadster (Type R???)was very crowded, so I could not get a good enough look, but it did indeed look pretty impressive. Same size etc...<br><i><br>What is the current rumor on the engine options for the F-Type?<p>I currently own an XK8 Coupe and I was thinking of giving the local Jaguar dealer a "pre-order" to replace the XK8 with the F-Type..<p></i><br>

Alan
09-19-2001, 01:55 PM
I think you are correct that the new concept Jaguar roadster foreshadows the replacement of the XK8 and XKR. However, it is not the same thing as the F-Type. Jaguar is going to have two convertibles in its line-up. One (potentially based on the concept you saw) will be large and luxurious to compete with the Mercedes SL, and the other (the F-Type) will be smaller and nimble to compete with the BMW Z3 and Porsche Boxster.<p><br>Alan

Petri Ojala
09-28-2001, 04:55 PM
I wonder what will happen with the XK8/XKR replacement..<p>F-Type to compete with Z3/Boxter and a "large and luxurious" to compete with Merc SL, doesn't leave much space for a new XK8/XKR in between, not to mention that the potential in-between model would be either a "expensive F-Type++" or "el-cheapo large and luxurious". There's a great risk of using common parts and thus making a car mismatch, like happened with some part of the S-Type.<p>Still loving my XK8 ;-)<p>

Alan
10-02-2001, 09:02 PM
...the XK8/XKR replacement move even higher in price...with the F-type to have a base price in the 30s with a fully-optioned "R" performance model going well into the 40s or close to 50k. The XK8/XKR replacement won't cost quite as much as a Mercedes SL, but due to its size, performance, and luxury, will likely target the same type of buyer.<p>My one prayer is that we'll see more stick shifts available in the U.S. on Jaguars. Certainly the F-type will have one, but the XK8/XKR is just begging for a 6-speed. BMW will be coming out with a new 6-series in the next few years, which will of course be available with a manual transmission. Jaguar and Mercedes need to notice, or sales to those who truly want to be fully involved in the driving experience will all fall to BMW.<p><br>Alan

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index