Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

drew w
09-15-1998, 08:30 PM
I am considering a restoration project of a 2002. I've done some work on them already(My brother had one). I would like to if possible get a clean fairly rustless body from california and a parts car. I live in NY so most cars are pretty much shot unless they have been very well takin care of. I have the time and I have the money, but I would like to eventually use the car for everyday use. Could a few people share their restoration/maintenance stories with me. Also how much time and money is it going to take. I estimated parts and various other stuff like paint is going to cost at $7k depending on what kind of braking, suspension, and engine mods I want. I don't want a complete racecar but a little better handling and more power would be nice.<p><br>Thanks<br>Drew

Matt Guilbault
09-16-1998, 08:54 AM
Drew,<p>I am currently in the process of restoring a 1976 2002 in Hudson, NY. I bought the car for $450 (the seller originally wanted $1200. I have so far put new brake calipers and wheel cylinders and brake lines on the car and am preparing to weld in new floorpans. I have long ago come to the conclusion that I will invest more money than I have into this car. But since my daily driver is a 1998 Dodge Dakota 4x4, the car sits in the garage as my project. I would strongly recommend that you get you hands on the blue covered 2002 book and read the section on 2002 restoration. It poses a number of questions that you must answer to realize how much this is going to cost you and how long its going to take. For me, I don't really care. The car runs fine and is just about road legal. When the floorpans are done I'll just take it one step at a time starting with the body, engine, etc. before I really begin to upgrade. Your idea of shipping a CA car to NY is a good idea if you don't mind paying the high-cost of shipping coast to coast. If you're nearby you can always come over and help me to work on mine! Fianlly, I would suggest that you make plans to attend the 2002 fest in Lime Rock Conn. this weekend and chat with the other 02 owners about their cars. Its going on Sunday at the racetrack and starts at 9am.<p><i>: I am considering a restoration project of a 2002. I've done some work on them already(My brother had one). I would like to if possible get a clean fairly rustless body from california and a parts car. I live in NY so most cars are pretty much shot unless they have been very well takin care of. I have the time and I have the money, but I would like to eventually use the car for everyday use. Could a few people share their restoration/maintenance stories with me. Also how much time and money is it going to take. I estimated parts and various other stuff like paint is going to cost at $7k depending on what kind of braking, suspension, and engine mods I want. I don't want a complete racecar but a little better handling and more power would be nice.<p>: <br>: Thanks<br>: Drew<p></i>

Ed Dyer
09-16-1998, 09:36 AM
I am currently beginning my own restoration of a '74 2002. Feel free to follow my progress at the posted link.<br>Ed Dyer<p><i>: I am considering a restoration project of a 2002. I've done some work on them already(My brother had one). I would like to if possible get a clean fairly rustless body from california and a parts car. I live in NY so most cars are pretty much shot unless they have been very well takin care of. I have the time and I have the money, but I would like to eventually use the car for everyday use. Could a few people share their restoration/maintenance stories with me. Also how much time and money is it going to take. I estimated parts and various other stuff like paint is going to cost at $7k depending on what kind of braking, suspension, and engine mods I want. I don't want a complete racecar but a little better handling and more power would be nice.<p>: <br>: Thanks<br>: Drew<p></i>

Dave Endersbee
09-16-1998, 12:42 PM
Step 1:<br>Get a rust free body & frame!<br>Step 2:<br>Get a rust free body & frame!<p>I bought a cheap '02 that had some nice pieces in it (seats, 5 speed, new carpet, Weber, bavarian autosport headers, etc etc) but now I wish I had bought a clean stocker. Rust is a NIGHTMARE on these things. <p>If I could do it all over again, I'd spend a little more on a car that had less goodies but had a more solid body. <p>Instead of spending the $$ on restoring, why not buy a good one right off the bat? You mentioned a $7k figure you were willing to drop, that much would get you a REALLY nice '02. I'd wager $3500 will get you a clean, dependable car and maybe even some mods. <p>With the cash leftover you could get a hot suspension set up and maybe rebuild the head with a more aggressive cam, or buy sidedrafts...and have lots left over for all the gas you'd burn.<p>Just my '02 cents :)<p>-Dave<br>

Eric Stenborg
09-22-1998, 12:40 PM
<br>: I am considering a restoration project of a 2002. I've done some work on them already(My brother had one). I would like to if possible get a clean fairly rustless body from california and a parts car. I live in NY so most cars are pretty much shot unless they have been very well takin care of. I have the time and I have the money, but I would like to eventually use the car for everyday use. Could a few people share their restoration/maintenance stories with me. Also how much time and money is it going to take. I estimated parts and various other stuff like paint is going to cost at $7k depending on what kind of braking, suspension, and engine mods I want. I don't want a complete racecar but a little better handling and more power would be nice.<p>: <br>: Thanks<br>: Drew<p>

Eric Stenborg
09-22-1998, 12:45 PM
<br>I am also considering a restoration. Differning in that the car is a 1600, and I don't want to do it myself. Do you guys know of a good shop our someone who may? Any help would be appreciated.<p>Thanks,<br>Eric

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index