Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

New M owner
12-21-2001, 12:02 PM
I have been driving Toyotas and one Acura forever and I have always changed my own oil, rotated the tires, and done the minor maintenance myself but now I have dove into the realm of the German auto and I`m not sure where I go from here. Do I change the oil myself or always take it to the dealership for even the minor service. I hate any dealership service because they are just a bunch of monkeys with a screwdriver that couldn`t give a [Oops!] about your car, they have a tendancy to scratch/ding/more scratches without a second thought.
What do the [Oops!] car perfectionists, like me, do for at-home maintenance. Is changing the oil on my BMW just as "simple" as my Toyota?

hhmmm....got wordy there didn`t I?

Cliff notes: Should I change my own oil?

1999 M Coupe

zedheadindc
12-21-2001, 12:09 PM
you would be amazed at how easy it is to change the oil on your
m, well if it's like the z I own. The filter is easily accessible. I
know most of the people here love to tinker on their "toys" so I
wouldn't hesistate to do the minor maintanence yourself.

New M owner
12-21-2001, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the advice.

Wow, this board 'oops!' out just about everything doesn`t it? Pretty touchy.

zedheadindc
12-21-2001, 12:32 PM
You should check out www.bmwcca.org
The bmw car club of america has a great magazine that comes
with memebership that has tech tips and the like. You also get
some discounts at participating dealers. If you aren't a member
you should check it out

The Other Tom
12-21-2001, 01:22 PM
If you have an M, the tires are directional. That is, they are supposed to turn in one direction. They should have an arrow on the outside of the tire indication rotation direction. Changing the tires to the other side of the car will cause them to turn in the wrong direction, which means your wet traction will be zero. Also, the rears are a different size than the fronts, so you can't do that either.

Like the other poster said, change your own oil. I would recommend getting your filter from BMW and ask them what viscosity, etc. oil to use. Keep in mind the filter is a real paper filter that fits inside the canister on your engine. To change it, remove the top of the canister, wrap you hand in a plastic bag and pull out the dirty paper filter. Zip up the plastic bag, and, viola, no mess. Insert the new filter , replace the o-ring, and button it back up.
Tom

Ox///M
12-21-2001, 01:37 PM
And I vote NO on doing that myself. *grin*

new mcoupe owner
12-21-2001, 01:56 PM
Look, I`m not stupid. :)

I did such things as rotating the tires on my other vehicles. I am aware of the complications of moving the rears to the front etc etc on the M. :)

But thanks for the heads-up anyway. You never know - I could`ve been that ignorant.

new mcoupe owner
12-21-2001, 01:59 PM

D///Mill
12-21-2001, 04:10 PM
So far, the local BMW boys have done OK doing the "freebie" oil changes on ///M Coupe ... but I do every other oil change myself. Works out to about every 4K miles or so. To wait until the maintenance lights go out to authorize BMW to change the oil is WAY too many miles otherwise (IMHO). But ... if you can't stand to have anyone else touch your Biimmer, I can understand you doing all the oil changes yourself, which is perfectly OK. FYI

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index