Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

pedera
02-21-2002, 11:24 PM
I've searched the archives, & found Service Bulletin 11 04 00, which indicates dealers can use either mineral or synthetic oil. Is there any further advice given by BMW NA regarding oil for a 2000 M Coupe?

I had been told by salesperson and one of the revolving service staff that BMW only recommended synthetic oil (5W30) for this engine. Just had a dealer perform an oil change, & they used mineral oil. While they did this once before & changed the oil to synthetic after I inquired, I am hoping there's something in writing to show the dealer the engine takes only synth.

If I'm wrong, let me know also. This is really frustrating; seems that when I have to pay for the change, it's always synth; when the dealer pays, it's mineral... a bit frustrating.

TIA,

PeteMD

Adam Hicks
02-21-2002, 11:51 PM
Castrol RS 10w-60 last time because the dealer told me to, and it's like pancake syrup. Takes 15-20 minutes to get to operating temp!

I'm using Castrol synthetic 5w-30 or Mobil 1 from now on...

Smoking//M
02-22-2002, 12:43 AM
Ha! I have been doing extensive research on this subject and here`s what I`ve found out:

The proper recommended oil for the 1999/2000 M Coupe S52 engine is Castrol 5W-30 synthetic or the BMW high performance synthetic 5W-30.
(I will be using Mobil 1 5W-30)
Oil changes every 15,000 miles or once a year.
(I will be 10,000 miles once or twice a year)

The S54 is same except 10W-60.

I have the printed 6/00 technical service bulletin and have talked to the dealership many times.

Mineral oil is NOT recommended.

I quote the 6/00 bulletin;
"....synthetic oil on all models as outlined below whenever a service is necessary to avoid engine damage."
Models below include, S62 M5, S62 Z8, S54 M3, S54 Z M series, also includes all 1999 - 2000 S52 Z M series and any other Ms no matter what their production date (post 98).

In a nutshell, any BMW built before 2001 that has the extended oil change intervals of 15,000 miles should use syn 5W-30, any BMWs thereafter with the extended oil change interval should use syn 10W-60.

Smoking//M
02-22-2002, 12:47 AM

Smoking//M
02-22-2002, 12:50 AM
I have the 10/2001 service bulletin NOT the 6/00, the 6/00 was the first issue for engine oil recommendation.

When you go to the dealer have them look up TSB 110898. That will set them straight.

Paul Stock Park
02-22-2002, 01:09 AM

Adam Hicks
02-22-2002, 02:16 AM

Gus
02-22-2002, 09:24 AM
I am using the Castrol also, but since my engine had a major problem about a year ago (even using the Castrol oil) I want to do what they tell me in case it happens again (hopefully never). I have the dealer do the oil changes, that way, in case it does happen, they cannot lean on the fact that someone else did not do a proper job, or used the correct oil. Mobil is half the price of Castrol, and much more widely available here.

caylan
02-22-2002, 09:58 AM
This bulletin which is referencing the S52 Engine (on M3 but supposedly for S62 & S52 engine generally):
<i>The service bulletin is 11 04 00.
Page 1
Situation-
General Information
The race bred engines incorporated in BMW M vehciles increased power output and maxium engine speeds compared to conectional BMW engines.
Due to their high performance design characteristics all M engines may exhibit slightly higher oil consumption compared to conventional BMW engines.
A spirited driving style (especially during the critical engine break in period) will lead to further increased engine oil consumption.
BMW recommends checking the oil level and if necessary topping up using the correct viscosity whenever refueling is required to maintain the value of your BMW throughout its service life.
Page 2</i>
<b>Engine oil recommedations
6 cylinder (S52 & S54)
S52:
BMW high performance mineral base oil
SAE 15w-40 BMW P/N 07 51 0 017 868
or
BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil
SAE 5w-30 BMW P/N 07 51 0 017 866 </b>

<i>The new S54 engine will be using BMW high performance synthetic Oil 5w-30 </i>

As we all know the S54 was changed to BMW Synth 10W-60 to TSB
SI 00 02 00 revised July, 2001.

Back to the original question: here's the Ron Stygar link on the bulletin you are referencing SI 11 08 98:

Hope this helps!

I was just going to ask about that
02-22-2002, 11:45 AM
It's been just under 10K since my last oil change. The dealer told me they can't pay for the service unless its every 15K. But the oil service light went on. I drive the car fast - yet smooth so I dont beat on it. I never just hammer it in first year or anything.

The other interesting thing is yes - somehow the all american standard for an oilchange is 3000 miles. Yet all the engineers at BMW say this car can go up to 15K.

It would make since to me that the computer telling you when to change the oil is more accurate then just mileageing it.

Is 3000 miles a ploy via oil compaines and oil change centers for more business? Is it kinda like how the American Dental Association tells us we should 5 times a day brush our teeth, floss, and use mouthwash?

I've also noticed most cars owners manuals never mention 3,000 miles for an oil change -- for my Integra severe driving conditions called for 4,500, normal was 7something.

What is the general consensus? Trust the manufacture recommendation?

Adam Hicks
02-22-2002, 11:48 AM

pedera
02-22-2002, 11:54 AM
If you have synthetic, my rule of thumb is 4-5,000 miles before a change (or, again for me, no longer than 6 months... I don't use M a lot...);

If you have dino, change the oil every 3-4,000 miles, or every 3 months, which ever comes first.

I couldn't do a real cost analysis of the two; just go with synth if you can afford it. IMHO.

PeteMD
'00 M Coupe

Sam
02-22-2002, 12:13 PM
There have been quite a few studies that show that even with
drain intervals of 25,000 miles!!! synthetic is still better on your
engine than dino oil changed regularly at 3K miles.

So, if you can afford it: use synth and change your oil every 5K
miles or 6 months (perhaps sooner if you race), and if you can
NOT afford it, STILL use synth but change your oil once a year
(that's still going to be cheaper than dino oil every 3K miles--
especially if you do it yourself).
Sam

Sam
02-22-2002, 12:13 PM
There have been quite a few studies that show that even with
drain intervals of 25,000 miles!!! synthetic is still better on your
engine than dino oil changed regularly at 3K miles.

So, if you can afford it: use synth and change your oil every 5K
miles or 6 months (perhaps sooner if you race), and if you can
NOT afford it, STILL use synth but change your oil once a year
(that's still going to be cheaper than dino oil every 3K miles--
especially if you do it yourself).
Sam

Stafford C. Brown
02-22-2002, 12:38 PM
Good to hear. They filled the 00M with 5W-30 Synthetic. I've been topping it off with Mobile 1 tri-synthetic 5W-30 that I had left from the Integra-GSR.

My Mcoupe is a daily driver. Now that I moved I went from half back roads/half highway to half backroads/half city. I bet the oil service light will come on about 7K miles next time.

I do try to check the oil almost every fuel stop. I always let the oil come up to 160degrees before taking the engine over 4K.

I drive this car fast but without the "beating on it" sensation. I never hammer the throttle in 1st or second. Usually engage first gear at 1K rpm.

CODGER
02-22-2002, 01:51 PM
I go from 35 degrees to 140 in about 6 minutes below 4K, and to 240 in 10.

stokdgs
02-22-2002, 02:55 PM
Adam,

I have an '02 M Coupe and you are correct, it takes awhile to get the oil temp up to just shy of 200, guessing around 180 or so.
I didnt get to see the oil changed at the 1200 mi service, but noticed just the other day its all the way to the end of the plastic piece at the end of the dipstick, way more than I would consider putting in.
Anyway, have you thought about using Castrol Syntec 15w/50 instead of the pancake syrup 10w/60?
I am not sure that I would want to use as light an oil as 5w/30 in that motor, there must be a reason why they want a heavier oil.
Anyway, one more thing to think about, eh ?
DanF

Pinecone
02-23-2002, 08:51 AM
Require an oil that meets ACEA Standards A3 and B3. Of the off the shelf oils the only oils that meets that spec are the synthetics that are -40 or heavier. So Castrol 5W-30 off the shelf doesn't meet the specs (it is only A1/B1). But their 5W-50 does. I have spent a lot of time reading the back of oil containers. :)

Also not all synthetics state that they meet or have been tested to the ACEA specs. Redline is one. There is little doubt that it is a good oil, but they don't test to that standard. They don't do ACEA testing. Mobil 1, Castrol and Valvoline full synthetic oils of a -40 or greater weight to meet the specs. All of these manufacturer's -30 oils only meet A1/B1.

I guess that the BMW 5W-30 is a special blend, or BMW is using oil that doesn't meet their own requirements.

If under warranty, I would make sure any oil I use is A3/B3 oil. That way there is no way they can point to the oil as the cause of any trouble. Out of warranty, you are free to do what you want. If under maintenance plan still, I would just use BMW 5W-30, since BMW does supply this oil for normal maintenance (see Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act). And it is pretty cheap as full synthetics go, especially with a 20% BMW CCA discount.

PeteMD
02-25-2002, 02:27 PM
Going back to dealer tomorrow for new oil. Will make a point of asking them then.

Best,

PeteMD

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index