Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : What brush set should I Use to Clean E46 M3

JBlack
05-20-2002, 09:00 PM
Wheels? They are a bugger!

Alan
05-20-2002, 09:50 PM
Go to your local hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot. Find a very soft bristle brush (nylon is ok since these are just the wheels) that is 10 or 12 inches across and about 4 inches wide--size of one of those typical brushes at quarter car washes. Make sure it has a threaded hole on the backside that will accept a broom handle. Buy a broom handle too.

Use this to wash your wheels. The handle will let you get some leverage against the wheels and you will be able to scrub brake dust off pretty easily.

You could also use the brush by itself off of the handle for a final pass on the wheel just to make sure you got all the little nooks and crannies, but you'll get 95% of the dirt/brake dust on the wheel in your first pass with the brush on the end of the broom handle.

As for what to use to clean the wheels, I've found that good old soap and water works as good as anything, and you don't have to worry that it might damage the wheel finish.

--Alan

tarheelguy
05-20-2002, 09:55 PM
on my wheels on my 528, i use p21 cleaner with the zymol brush. yes expensive, but my wheels always look good.

gail
05-21-2002, 05:06 AM
I found the spongue did a better job. I wouldn't waste my money on those expensive brushes.

tarheelguy
05-21-2002, 05:39 AM
need the fine brush toget the dust out from the small areas which can be a pain to clean. I use the P21 because it is gentle on the wheels themselves. I would also recommend applying a coat of wax to your wheels to protect them from the dust which if not washed regularly can corrode the wheels. others do other things. here is a link that you may find interesting. hope this helps.

gail
05-21-2002, 05:57 AM
are still hard to clean. I find it especially hard to get to the inside part. I use the Zymol system. It does work but you still have to put some effort into it. Honestly, soap and water will do. Waxing your wheels sounds good for protection.

Thanks for the information. It's nice to share the experiences we have taking care of our autos.

jh
05-21-2002, 08:28 AM
contrary to what people, say, i use simple green in concentrated form on the wheels, sprayon, mush it around some bit with a brush and then hose off.. then keep running water on the wheel a littel bit and use the brush to get off any spots you missed...

haven't had simple green eat away anythign or any problems with it.. just don't let it sit for more than a minute or 2 mintues without either brushing or spaying off..

Gail
05-21-2002, 09:07 AM

jh
05-21-2002, 10:07 AM
how you doing? give me an email if you want.

question: is your car a new orient blue or one of the black colors?

Gail
05-21-2002, 10:16 AM

Gail
05-21-2002, 10:26 AM

05-28-2002, 11:13 PM
Good Day,

You can use P21S Regular Formula Wheel Cleaner if you wash your wheels often. If the brake dust is real bad then use P21S Gel Formula Wheel Cleaner. Both are safe and made for your wheels. You can also use the Zymol Wheel Brush, Autodetail Short Wheel Brush and/or a wash mitt.

Any questions, please email me or call me at 1-800-964-8711.

Note: All Roadfly members receive the car club discount so make sure you sign up by going to http://www.autodetail.com/carclub.htm

Sincerely,
Melissa
http://www.autodetail.com

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index