Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Engine bay washing

Josh Han
06-06-2002, 03:51 PM
Hi y'all.

Any suggestions on engine bay washing? Techniques, products, stuff like that. I have a 98 M Roadster. Should I cover certain parts with plastic before I start spraying? Double check all the caps to make sure they are tight?

Thanks!

ozzy_otter
06-06-2002, 09:50 PM
I like Wurth's citrus based solvent for that job. You can dilute it heavily (as long as the engine bay isn't a total disaster area), spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes, then gently rinse.

Eman 94 740i
06-07-2002, 10:05 AM
I used Gunk Foam Engine cleaner and Castrol's Multipurpose cleaner also for my cars and my clients cars. When spraying the cleaner, don't spray onto belts. This will severely dry the belts to the point it will squeek!!! Other than that there is not much to worry about compared to older vehicles with carburetors and/or distributor caps/rotors. Now a days, there is no way water can enter into the air induction system and since the newer cars have distributorless systems, you don't have to worry about the electricals. After spraying, let the cleaner sit for about a minute, then wash off. Once you dry the engine, spray Armor All or 2001 protectant all over the engine and hoses. Let this sit, no wiping necessary and you will get that new car look. Good Luck!

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index