Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for machine version of 3M Imp Hand Glaze

CG
06-06-2002, 09:31 PM
Hi,

Great board, have been looking for something like this for a while.

Anyway, I really like 3M's Imperial Hand Glaze, however, I would like to use my Porter Cable Orbital. The Hand Glaze does a great job of removing the light scratches and brings out the deep sheen I'm looking for, however, it just takes too long by hand. I've read that 3M makes a machine version of the Hand Glaze, but have never been able to find it. I've also tried using the Hand Glaze with the orbial, but I don't get the results I'm looking for.

Any suggestions for a machine glaze with the same performance of 3M's imperial hand glaze???

Thanks.

CG

Seattle Scott
06-07-2002, 02:08 AM
I just used 3m IHG with a PC 7424, Speed set to 2, grey finishing pad. Worked great.

Follow the link for details.

Eman 94 740i
06-07-2002, 10:12 AM
pattern. I've detailed too many dark colored cars with swirl marks on the paint finish. Once the swirl marks are there, they are hard to remove. Unfortunately, buffing removes layers of paint every time its being used. Have you heard the expression "don't burn the paint"? If you want another alternative, I've used Meguire's Body scrub. It contains mild abrasives to remove light scratches in the paint.

Seatle Scott
06-07-2002, 01:02 PM
He is using an orbital buffer, why move it in an orbital pattern?

Removing layers of paint? There is one layer of "paint" covered by a layer of clearcoat. The clearcoat should be the only thing that ever gets treated unless you rub all the clearcoat off and get to paint.

Steve
06-07-2002, 02:38 PM

CG
06-08-2002, 03:35 PM

Eman 94 740i
06-10-2002, 09:17 AM
I was speak of in general terms. Especially in general terms about burning the paint. This is an old saying from us older detailers. Not all cars have clear coats for example black, white, red, etc. These don't have clearcoats. I have detailed many black and red colored cars that have swirl mark and burnt marks from inexperienced operators of buffers. That is why I wax every car by hand. If there are scratch marks, I always try removing the scratches by hand first before using a buffer.

mrdetailer
06-11-2002, 03:52 PM
Perfect-It Foam Polishing Pad Swirl Mark Remover is a step up from Imperial Machine glaze in my opinion. It has an extremely fine grit.

Paul E
06-15-2002, 11:33 PM
What are you talking about...Since when dont red, black, white, and non metallics in general not have clearcoat? This is just plain wrong...All cars since at least the early '90s are clearcoated...If you dont think my alpine white M3 is clearcoated, I'll prove it to you.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index