Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : How do I fix these scratches

TomK
06-07-2002, 04:33 PM
Last friday, stone came from the other lane, hit my hood, leaving a quarter-sized dent with a paint scrape roughly 1/8" by 1/2".

3 weeks old. Arrgh.

Anyway, I got a paintless dent removal guy to come out to the house and fix the dent. Not 100% perfect, but pretty close. He said the metal was stretched slighly at the point of impact, but honestly, you can't see it.

I've read some things on the web on how to use touch-up to fill in a scratch like that, and I feel comfortable doing it.

But at the scratch itself, it looks as if an abrasive was rubbed right around the scratch itself at a right angle. And being a dark color (orient blue) it shows pretty clearly.

Before I tackle the touch-up work, I want to get those scratches out. The scratches are not deep, but imagine dozens of swirl-like marks, but in a straight line. The scratches only extend < 1/2" from main scrape where the paint was removed, so its not like they're all over the hood. Just clustered around the paint scratch.

Question is, I'm patient and willing to work at it, so what compound and what instructions should I follow? I willing to be conservative and rub for a long time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Eman 94 740i
06-10-2002, 09:31 AM
before using more aggressive scratch removers like rubbing compound. What I mean by mild scratch removers is Meguire's body scrub or scratch out (black tube), Wax Shop's Swirl and Haze remover, 3M's mild scratch remover, etc. Just take a wax pad and apply remover onto pad and rub on the areas. Try by hand first before using a buffer. You explained that it is not too deep so buffer may not be needed. Good luck!

06-11-2002, 10:28 PM
First, sorry to hear about your scratch. It is so disgusting. :(

Ok, yes, first start with the least aggressive product first. For example: Meguiar's Fine Cut Cleaner followed up with Meguiar's Swirl Remover then wax.

Now, if this does not work you need to use more aggressive products which will have to be used with an orbital polisher. I do not recommend using more aggressive products without a machine. Why? More aggressive products can leave and create more scratches. Your hand will not be able to remove them like a machine will.

That should do it. Any questions, please call me at 1-800-964-8711 or email me.

Sincerely,
Melissa
http://www.autodetail.com

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index