Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Why use an orbital polisher?

SoonerPast
06-10-2002, 03:43 PM
I must be missing something. After having tried using a Porter-Cable machine, I don't see what advantage it plays. I think I faster applying wax by hand. What could I be missing?

(m) HellrotCi
06-10-2002, 09:22 PM
depending on what wax you're using, you will get better results by hand. I use P21S/S100 wax and wouldn't even think of using my PC. I use my PC more for removing swirls and polishing. I had the same impression you've got now about the PC. I bought mine 2 years ago, used it once on my wife's car and put it on the shelf. Just didn't see any improvement over polishing by hand. After searching the net I found out what I needed to do to get better results. Basically it's, practice makes perfect.

Eman 94 740i
06-11-2002, 07:34 AM
7 to 10 min. to apply wax and roughly 7 to 10 min. to remove. When I use to use a buffer, at best, it took me 12 to 15 min to apply wax and 7 to 10 min. to remove and 5 min. to remove from in between panels. After doing 500 cars a year, I need to be efficient in everything. Besides, if you look at the instructions of Zymol, Mirage, they require you apply the wax in a side to side pattern, NOT in a swirling motion. That can't be done on a buffer. I always thought Schwarzenagger arms were in!!!

Baden Smith
06-11-2002, 10:41 PM
How good of a job can be done in waxing your car in 20 minutes? It's like washing my car in 5 minutes. It can probably be done but it would be a pretty half-assed job.

I use P21S wax and my typical wax job (which includes appyling the Paint Cleanser) runs about 3 hours. Belive me I'm taking my time to make sure that I did a great job and generally "enjoying" the experience.

Baden
'98 Z3 2.8L Arctic Silver

06-11-2002, 10:52 PM
Hello,

An orbital polisher can and will remove swirl marks and scratches that you can not remove by hand.

Being a professional detailer, I used the orbital polisher to apply polish and wax. When you wax 5 cars a day, you tend to be able to use the products in a way so that you won't get it in the cracks or sling it all over the place.

Now, that I wax only a few cars a month, I do prefer to do everything by hand unless there is a scratch I can not remove. But, I always apply the wax by hand. P21S is a terrific wax so waxing takes no time at all.

I hope this helps. Any questions, please email me or call 1-800-964-8711

Sincerely,
Melissa
<a href="http://www.autodetail.com">http://www.autodetail.com</a>

Eman 94 740i
06-12-2002, 08:15 AM
I have a mobile detailing business and have been successfully running it for the last 9 years on the weekends. Believe me, the more cars I can handle, the more money I make. If I did a half way job on my client's Ferraris' and Porsches', I would not be in business this long. Especially with my clients and their Ferraris' and Porsches', they are very critical to the point that they are Ana.... retentive. During the summer, I usually crank out between 14 to 16 cars on the weekends!!!

doc540
06-16-2002, 08:47 PM
got top dollar on ebay and bought a cheap machine polisher.

Major improvement in removing swirls and scratches. The Porter Cable couldn't generate enough heat to work the paint right.

I tried for two years and finally did the smart thing.

See my post above about 3M foam pads and products. Can't burn the paint and removes EVERYTHING prior to waxing.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index