Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Dani
06-11-2002, 01:14 AM

Tim UK
06-11-2002, 03:37 AM
Thanks Dani,

If I undestand the text correctly, the roll-over hoops are chrome plated. Does the reference to Windschutzscheiben mean wind deflector? Does the bit about Kopfairbags mean there isn't space for high-level head airbags?

Tim

Dani
06-11-2002, 05:15 AM
Hi Tim

your right - Windschutzscheibe means wind deflector. the articel says that the frame around the wind deflector is much stronger and safer instead the one of Z3. the Z4 will have no airbags for the head (kopfairbag), but it will have a very large side-bag in the door.

Greetings Dani

AR67Duetto
06-11-2002, 05:53 AM
<i>Does the reference to Windschutzscheiben mean wind deflector?</i>

No.

<i>Does the bit about Kopfairbags mean there isn't space for high-level head airbags?</i>

No.

AR67Duetto
06-11-2002, 05:54 AM

AR67Duetto
06-11-2002, 06:11 AM
My interpretation/analysis is that the relevant passage refers to total occupant safety.

First, I believe the part about the roll hoops (Überrollbügel) simply means that they happen to be chromed (a la Z8's???). Tho, they are involved in safety, of course.

It's not that there isn't *space* for overhead airbags (Kopfairbags), it's that the Z4's a <i>roadster</i>. What would happen if they deploy while the top is down? :-O

Consequently, due to the absence of overhead 'bags, occupant safety is secured by 'hoops, the windshield's strengthened header & A-pillars (Windschutzscheiben), and oversized side 'bags (großflächige Seitenairbags).

"Zum Thema Sicherheit ist zu sagen dass der neue Z4 über verchromte Überrollbügel verfügt die hinter den Kopfstützen montiert sind, die in Verbindung mit dem verstärkten Windschutzscheiben ausreichend Schutz bieten sollen. Wegen Platzmangel verfügt de Z4 über keine Kopfairbags sondern nur über großflächige Seitenairbags sowie selbstverständlich über die Standard-Frontairbags."

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index