Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : California Duster Good Or Bad?

Fireo
06-16-2002, 03:24 AM
Would like an honest opnion on the california duster it is supposed to clean your car from dust, smog when you dont have to wash. would it really not hurt your paints finish?

745Li Kalahari Beige 19 rims Fully Loaded

dust. (m) HellrotCi
06-16-2002, 01:29 PM
If you don't have a California Duster then buy the one with the wooden handle. Before you use it, lay the duster in a brown paper bag for a few days. This will allow the bag to collect some of the excess wax that is used in the duster for collecting the dirt. If you don't do this, no biggie, you might notice some streaking with use, but this will diminish in time. When you dust your car with the duster, don't let the full weight of the duster lay on the surface. You should suspend it above the surface and let the strings lightly drag across the paint. After dusting your car off, take some quick detailer's spray and a microfiber cloth and wipe everything down to keep your car look like new.

If your car was dusty and it was rained on or got hit with a sprinkler, you should wash it instead of using the duster. Even a little sprinkle is enough to create a light bond between the dust and your car's paint.

As a sidenote, how do you like the iDrive system?

doc540
06-16-2002, 08:38 PM

Fireo
06-17-2002, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the info. The IDrive system is very easy to use once you get the hang of it, i cannot say i learned how to use the features in one day. it took me about 3 days to know the basics and then a few more to know it by heart. now i can use the controls without looking at the screen. i think that was the main purpose of the feedback on the controls. you actually feel bumps when you select an item, then you know by heart where each thing is. and with the voice command system it makes it even easier :) hope that helped.

745 Li, Kalahari Beige, 19 Rims, Fully Loaded

Fireo
06-17-2002, 12:48 AM
Any recommendations for a good detailer's spray and microfiber cloth?

9 Nines
06-17-2002, 08:16 AM
I think microfiber is a risky tool for car surface cleaning/buffing:

While very small strands it is still polyester. In other words, if you ground up diamonds into dust, woudl you wipe it over your car? The microfiber still scratches, as polyester does, just finer scrathces, as fine sand paper. Your will not notice the scratches as easy(smaller scracthes) but more dulling of surface.

Gary Siegel
06-24-2002, 01:11 PM
From what I see of the CA Duster website the dusters are the same, just the handles are different. Why is the wood handle so important?

Jude G
06-24-2002, 07:52 PM
Anything that you apply to your car will scratch it , dusters included !! Most detailers will tell you to burn your duster !! We detail, do I use one ??? Yes !! Should I??? probably not !!! I have a black car !!!! Enough said !!!!!

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index