Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : clear coat getting soft, scratchy

Lin Gilbert
06-18-2002, 05:18 PM
I have a Glacier Blue 1990 750iL. My clear coat has gotten so soft you can easily scratch it with your fingernail. It has millions of faint scratches that catch the sunlight and look like hell. I am afraid to compound it to take the scratches out because I'm afraid I will go through. Would that matter? I once had an Audi that the clear coat went through around the top of the windshield and there was no stopping it once it started.

Also, a sea gull left splatters on the roof and by the time I got home it had clearly etched the paint. It had discolored the paint under the clear coat, so the clear coat must be porous.

Should I just go at it with a 3M product, or is there a better way?

Thanks,

Lin Gilbert

Gail
06-18-2002, 07:04 PM
make some suggestions. (Email: [email protected])

What I would do personally is have a reputable detailer, detail your car if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.

If you rather to it yourself, get a good wax/cleaner (I use Zymol but any good one will do) and clean your car. Then put on a good coat of wax. Just for good measure I would apply a couple coats of wax.

about '92. You can ... (m) HellrotCi
06-18-2002, 07:55 PM
find out by rubbing some polish with a cloth on your trunk lid and if the cloth picks up any color, you're not clearcoated. If this is the case, follow the link and post a question on how to maintain your paint there.

Chris Morgan
06-19-2002, 11:24 AM
... and for many years previous to '88 BMW used clearcoat. Hell, I have an '83 where the entire clear coat has come off.

BMW uses really poor quality clear coats. I don't know what brand it is, but it is the worst clear coat that comes on a car. When I reshoot my '88, I'm going to use the DuPont clear coat that GM uses on their Cadillacs. Thats the best stuff going (in my opinion).

9 Nines
06-20-2002, 10:14 AM
I took fairly good care of it. I ploished and wax 3 times a year but did not know about proper products etc., using McGuires. ANyway, it still peeled after a while. I am pretty sure rock chips allowed moisture to get under the clear coat, slowly pushing it away from paint. It started from front of hood and progress toward the windscreen.

AS it peeled, the paint exposed was extremely dull.

dhs
06-21-2002, 02:16 PM
metalics have been clear coated for a long long time in the BMW line-up. Back to the BMW 2002s, and maybe even further back.

fabrice002
06-21-2002, 07:11 PM
<br>-Paul
'86 535i
'97 540i/6
'91 325iX

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index