Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

liquidz
06-27-2002, 12:07 AM
Does any one else have problems with their XJS getting hot in 90+ degree temp's?

Also does anyone know of an intercooler that might work on an XJS?

Dave
06-27-2002, 01:37 PM
For the most part, they all run very hot, or at best above normal. Since I have owned mine (5 years) the reasons have been numerous. Here are a few items that need checked:
1) Auxillary fan solenoid - Fan either works or not - VERY IMPORTANT
2) Radiator reservoir - if this has never been replaced have it looked at. A small leak will cause overheating - $200+ fix
3)Possible water pump
4)Current flush and refill with proper antifreeze levels

If the fluid levels are always good, and the auxillary fan works properly, you may be OK, but ALWAYS make sure it does not run near the top of the gauge for long! The temperature gauge in this Jag is not as accurate as it should be, and will give less than accurate results.

These cars need a lot of air and top notch attention to the whole cooling system. Although I love mine, driving in the Summer here in Florida can cause some moments of aggitation!! Then I pull out my 97 XK8 and drive without worry! Pictures of the 89 XJS are provided on the link provided.

Hope this helps!

chrisE
07-10-2002, 02:27 PM
If you have a V12 - get used too it. And beware that because there is an inordinate amount of heat generated under the hood, anything rubber should be inspected and if in doubt replace. Hoses, fan belts, injectors, fuel leads.
Run the engine up to normal operating temperature. Now have a look under the hood around the cooling system components. look for a fine mist from the hose ends. Turn the air cond on and repeat.
As Dave has stated, check the fan is operational and that it is fitted the RIGHT WAY around! Think about it!
A back flush - as Dave mentions is good. I have heard that Duralube is good for a flush - anyone else? Get a service manual a be sure you know where all the taps are to drain...

remember5
08-20-2002, 10:30 PM
After seeing your car and the price, I know why everyone has been telling me the '83 that I'm looking at is over priced.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index