Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Fluorescent Light Is Very Good Tool.

9 Nines
07-01-2002, 08:02 AM
Get a fluorescent light. I bought a workshop fixture and sunlight 45 watts bulbs. Put in garage, shut doors and use while cleaning/polishing/waxing. It really does allow you to see the defects in the paint.

When I used it, I was very surprised about how few of light scratches I have but also surprised about much water etching.

I think this will be a good exercise for seeing if we are causing scratching. If you do this every time you clean, polish or wax, you will see if you are causing a trend of scratching and know to change products, techniques etc. Also, showing the water etching that is harder to see in regular light, you may have a sign when to get professional help at a body shop. The water etching may not be seen easily in day light but it is bring down the quality of the paint shine, color etc., so seeing them with the fluorescent light gives a sign when to get it fixed.

steve
07-01-2002, 02:30 PM
Also try Halogen lights - be careful, they're hot! But, they show a ton of imperfections as well, and you can move them around easily. At my home shop, I have 15 4' Flourescents and 4 sets of Halogen stands...suntan anyone?? :-)

9 Nines
07-01-2002, 03:42 PM

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index